• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Handgun purchase from a expired LTC?

I live in Massachusetts and have a friend (also in MA) who owns several handguns but let his LTC expire and just wants to get rid of the guns.

(They are currently being stored in another friend's safe so he wouldn't have them in his house without a valid license).

Can I buy the guns from him with just an FA10 when he doesn't have a valid license?

I know they are all clean (I sold one of them to him years ago and the other 2 he bought new) but he has no paperwork proving they were pre-98 so I would rather not have to go through a dealer.

Last edited:
I live in Massachusetts and have a friend (also in MA) who owns several handguns but let his LTC expire and just wants to get rid of the guns.

(They are currently being stored in another friend's safe so he wouldn't have them in his house without a valid license).

Can I buy the guns from him with just an FA10 when he doesn't have a valid license?

I know they are all clean (I sold one of them to him years ago and the other 2 he bought new) but he has no paperwork proving they were pre-98 so I would rather not have to go through a dealer.

Or if they're non-compliant guns, try talking him into renewing and do a FTF.

You could ask him to send a letter to CHSB asking for the list of guns under his old license... but the records don't go back very far IIRC.

Other than renewing his LTC for FTF transfers then I agree to go to an FFL.

Make sure he does not transport them to the FFL and plan to meet you there or else he may end up in jail and the guns you want as evidence!

FID has no capability for handgun ownership. LTC-B or A is required.

You can own a handgun with an FID, you need a permit to purchase in order to buy a handgun without an LTC.

Q: Do I need an FID Card or an LTC Firearms to possess a gun in my home?

A: Yes. At a minimum you need an FID Card for non-large capacity rifles and shotguns. For handguns you need either an LTC,, or an FID Card combined with a Permit to Purchase firearms for the particular handgun in question.

You can own a handgun with an FID, you need a permit to purchase in order to buy a handgun without an LTC.

You can only own a handgun with an FID if it was purchased with a permit to purchase. You will not get any licensing authority in the state to issue you an permit to purchase. Just won't happen. It's a dead piece of statute. Therefore, you cannot own a handgun with an FID.

What if the guns were purchased legally with an LTC. Then the owner decided at renewal time just to drop to an FID?

Are those handguns legally owned by that individual? Obviously he/she can't carry them out of the house.

Also, could that person with an FID sell his/her handguns FTF with an FA-10?

No and No!

Possession of a handgun with an FID effectively went South in 1998, you need a LTC to continue to possess them. And you can't sell them FTF w/o the proper license (other than an executor to an estate).

The legal requirements for renewal of a LTC are the same as an FID, cost is the same, so unless someone was deemed "unsuitable" (LTC yanked or refused on renewal) there is no reason to EVER drop to an FID!

Back
Top Bottom