• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Handgun hunting

Anyone do it? Is there a magic number for velocity, bullet weight, or power factor?

This would be for NH or VT sized whitetail or black bear, at bow ranges.

Can't believe I didn't see this thread.......I LOVE handgun hunting, I prefer it over any other method.....

I'll use anything from a Contender in 45/70, 30-30, or 357 Herrett, to a Super Redhawk in 44 RemMag

Its important to match bullet type/weight when shooting rifle bullets out of a pistol, those bullets suffer a velocity decrease being run out of such a short barrel and the bullet will not perform as intended, such as no expansion ect....at the lower velocities.

For more run of the mill handguns, hard to beat a 44 Mag. Any good ammo in the 240gr and up weight, with a jacketed soft point will work well. Cast bullets are good also. I cast the LEE 310gr for a few of mine and run it over 21.0gr of H110. I love that bullet, HUGE meplat and allot of weight to push through just about anything in the deer family.

Dan Wesson 357 supermag, 180gr hornady JHP, 1580fps, first year hunting it 2014, but didnt get a shot, but imagine it will work well on deer and bear....

I was thinking of 45 colt, I am buying a redhawk 4.2" later this year. I am buying the gun regardless, but also was hoping to hunt with it, at least in NH or VT. That is why I was asking about velocity, if I cannot get the needed velocity (bullet size not an issue) out of the short barrel (I'd use a chrono) then it will be strictly a fun gun. I am aware I would have to use hot 45 colt. Thanks for the responses.

Get a Redhawk or Super Redhawk 44 mag and grab some Buffalo Bore 340 gr +p+ ammo. That should drop just about anything in New England [laugh]

I have the 7.5" Super Redhawk and it makes heavy 44 mag loads VERY manageable. The Hogue grips cover the backstrap and make it fairly pleasant to shoot 44 mag. Also the super redhawk comes with scope rings too.

Get a Redhawk or Super Redhawk 44 mag and grab some Buffalo Bore 340 gr +p+ ammo. That should drop just about anything in New England [laugh]

I have the 7.5" Super Redhawk and it makes heavy 44 mag loads VERY manageable. The Hogue grips cover the backstrap and make it fairly pleasant to shoot 44 mag. Also the super redhawk comes with scope rings too.

my 44mag superblackhawk handles those buffalo bore +p+ nicely. that is my bear load

i have a friend who had a 10mm longslide 1911 made specifically for hunting. i'm jealous of the thing, it looks beastly. [mg]

There a few 1911 makers out there that do longslide 10mm's. Kimber comes to mind if memory serves me. Most that I have seen weren't the big names you normally associate 1911's with, Colt, Springer etc etc...

I should'nt look though, I'd just talk myself into something that I "need"...

My Coonan Classic would make a good handgun for hunting I think. Big jump in velocity compared to a revolver since there's no loss of pressure (cylinder gap).

My Coonan Classic would make a good handgun for hunting I think. Big jump in velocity compared to a revolver since there's no loss of pressure (cylinder gap).

What's difference says the chrono? I'd be interested, I'm a big fan of 357. I see huge variations in FPS mostly in correlation with barrel length, using the same loads across the variety of 2, 4, 6in and then my carbine.

I would think any loss via the cylinder gap would also be seen in the blowback of the slide. Just a presumption here of course, no experience with the Coonan.

What's difference says the chrono? I'd be interested, I'm a big fan of 357. I see huge variations in FPS mostly in correlation with barrel length, using the same loads across the variety of 2, 4, 6in and then my carbine.

I would think any loss via the cylinder gap would also be seen in the blowback of the slide. Just a presumption here of course, no experience with the Coonan.

I'll have to test it again but I think from my reloads (158 gr JHP with 14.7 gr of 2400) I got 1,200ish fps from my 6" GP100 and the 5" Coonan was pushing them to 1,350ish fps. I can try to test them again this weekend and get back to you lol.

Edit: the 125 gr JHP with 17 gr of 2400 were running 1,500 fps from the Coonan!

Last edited:
That would be an eye opener to see a 150fps spread using identical loads between a 4" GP100 and the 5in Coonan. I'd make a WAG and say I could expect a 50fps deviation in the median velocities given the barrel length, as that equivocates my findings. Hard for me to say. Not saying I don't believe you of course, just not allot of 357 auto pistols out there, certainly not many have passed through my hands so again, all conjecture on my part.

Oops, misread that as a 4" GP, not a 6". Now that's really something else, 150fps faster with a SHORTER barrel??? Crazy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom