• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Handgun hunting - zone 10 MA

For the species that can be hunted year round in MA (like woodchuck and chipmunk), is there a restriction on hunting implements? I specifically want to know if I can hunt these year round animals with a .38 special revolver. I have read the 2020 MA hunting digest and have not found anything that leads me to believe that I can not hunt these species with a .38 but I want to be certain. I tried calling and emailing mass division of fish and wildlife and got no answer since I’m sure they’re closed due to covid19. I tried asking MEP but they don’t know what they’re taking about, they said I can only use a shotgun and chipmunk hunting is not allowed (although the digest says it is). Is there anyone here who knows this answer for sure?

For the species that can be hunted year round in MA (like woodchuck and chipmunk), is there a restriction on hunting implements? I specifically want to know if I can hunt these year round animals with a .38 special revolver. I have read the 2020 MA hunting digest and have not found anything that leads me to believe that I can not hunt these species with a .38 but I want to be certain. I tried calling and emailing mass division of fish and wildlife and got no answer since I’m sure they’re closed due to covid19. I tried asking MEP but they don’t know what they’re taking about, they said I can only use a shotgun and chipmunk hunting is not allowed (although the digest says it is). Is there anyone here who knows this answer for sure?
Zone 10 you cannot use a rifle or handgun on grey squirrel.......but you can use a rifle or handgun on rabbit. My reason for pointing that out is grey squirrel spells out specifically in the abstract the hunting implement restrictions......that's why you are restricted to certain implements. If the abstract doesn't have a restriction in my opinion you would be fine to hunt woodchuck and chipmunk with a 38 handgun. But I'm not a lawyer lol

I'll add personally that I think you'd be better off with a 22 but that's just from my hunting experience.

Iirc, squirrel and chippies are shotgun only in Mass.
Not true at all. The shotgun only restriction is for grey squirrel in zones 10-14 only. Zones 1-9 you can use a rifle or handgun of ANY CALIBER on grey squirrel (unless on wma property stocked with pheasant during open season on pheasant). I've hunted grey squirrel for years in zone 9 on wma property before and after pheasant season.....with a 22 rifle.....legally.

Chipmunk I've never seen any implement restrictions.
From the abstract on grey squirrel

Rifles and handguns (including rifled muzzleloaders): Rifles and handguns are prohibited in zones 10-14. Rifles and handguns are legal in zones 1-9 except on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail during the pheasant or quail season.

Fwiw this is the mass reg on chipmunk and woodchuck that I can find.....open season.....year round....no limit....no implement restriction ....it's a snapshot of the abstract.

Screenshot_20200328-142440_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom