Handcuffed woman, 19, fatally shot herself, police say, but mother expresses doubts

commodon

NES Member
Handcuffed woman, 19, fatally shot herself, police say, but mother expresses doubts

1533208166705.jpg

Holden Medlin, 27, was arrested July 25 and charged with multiple felonies during a traffic stop in Virginia, authorities say. (Chesapeake Sheriff's Office)

Police are investigating after a Virginia woman reportedly fatally shot herself while handcuffed during a traffic stop last week.

Sarah Wilson, 19, was a passenger when police pulled over her boyfriend's vehicle July 25 in South Norfolk, Va., the Virginian-Pilot reported.

During the traffic stop, police handcuffed Wilson and left her to wait near the vehicle as police struggled to detain the boyfriend, identified as Holden Medlin, 27, police said.

While officers dealt with Medlin, Wilson managed to get ahold of a gun and shoot herself in the head, Portmouth, Va.'s WAVY-TV reported. Wilson was still handcuffed when she fired the weapon, but a police spokesman told the station the gun was not a police firearm. It was not immediately clear how she was able to access the weapon.

Wilson’s death was ruled a suicide, the Virginian-Pilot reported. But Wilson’s mother questioned the police version of events.

Something went very, very wrong,” Dawn Wilson told WRAL-TV of Raleigh, N.C.Even if their story is true … they dropped the ball. My daughter is gone,” Dawn Wilson said.

Last edited:
Aren't they supposed to search before cuffing? Or after? Pretty impressive contortions to point a gun at your head while cuffed, unless her hands were cuffed in front, which I don't think is protocol.

Aren't they supposed to search before cuffing? Or after? Pretty impressive contortions to point a gun at your head while cuffed, unless her hands were cuffed in front, which I don't think is protocol.
you would think but i have been cuffed and my car searched with out consent , with my carry piece comfy at my side. It ended quickly when another officer showed up and basi cally said WTF. It ended quickly at that point and apologized. Not sure what was up with the officer but he did not stay in town long.

you would think but i have been cuffed and my car searched with out consent , with my carry piece comfy at my side. It ended quickly when another officer showed up and basi cally said WTF. It ended quickly at that point and apologized. Not sure what was up with the officer but he did not stay in town long.
That was a total douche bag move. The cop must know that lawful carriers are not the problem.
In my state, NC, it is a "duty to inform" state. One forum member's wife was pulled over for speeding. She followed the law and informed the officer that she has a CC permit and was armed. The chicken 5hit took a step back, put his hand on his side arm and said "you aren't going to shoot me are you?" Maybe he thought he was being cute because it was a cute woman. But he was still being a a-hole.

Follow-up...

A 19-year-old woman involved in a traffic stop committed suicide after shooting herself through the mouth while her hands were cuffed behind her back, Virginia police said.

Sarah Wilson and her boyfriend were arrested during a stop in Chesapeake in July 2018 after cops allegedly found drugs in the 1996 Lexus the couple were driving. Police said they handcuffed Wilson and, while attempting to apprehend her boyfriend, 27-year-old Holden Medlin, he became combative and ran away from the scene.

Cops then reportedly left Wilson handcuffed with her hands behind her back as they ran to catch Medlin. While unattended, police say, she was able to grab a weapon out of the Lexus, "contorted" her body and shot herself through the mouth. An internal investigation was launched after her death, which has since been concluded, though police have declined to comment on its outcome.

A medical examiner confirmed on Thursday that Wilson died of a suicide -- but friends and family continue to doubt the official story.

In all of her life I have never known of her to shoot a gun, own a gun, or even hold a gun,” Wilson's mother, Dawn, told ABC 13 last year. She told the station she spoke to witnesses who told her the police were responsible for her daughter's death.

There is a few different stories, but they all end the same: that the police shot her,” she said. "Things are not matching up. Somewhere, somehow, there is a discrepancy."

Body cam footage that may have been able to answer any questions about the incident is unavailable. A police spokesperson said in August that a bodycam on one of the officers during the stop was knocked off the officer's uniform "during the struggle," WAVY reported.

Chesapeake Police have not yet responded to a request for a comment by Fox News.

Wilson's boyfriend, Medlin, was reportedly being monitored by police for some time before the arrest. When officers approached his car the day of the incident, he allegedly swallowed a "golf-ball sized-bag" of an unknown substance. Police then found 11 oxycodone pills, a syringe and other drug paraphernalia, a rifle and ammunition.

He was later charged with possession of oxycodone, possession of suboxone, possession of paraphernalia, possession of a firearm with a schedule I or II drug, fleeing from a law enforcement officer, and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

The charges were again certified by a grand jury in court on Tuesday.

From Woman shot herself in the head while cuffed with hands behind her back during traffic stop in suicide, police say

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmmm. You don't say.

"Police body-camera footage was not available because the system had been “knocked offline” during officers' struggle with Medlin, who was ultimately subdued and arrested with the use of a stun gun, the newspaper reported"

Hey ... Vince Foster shot himself twice in the head, threw away the gun, tied his hands behind his back then locked himself in a trunk ... anything's possible ....

No need to embellish that one - one thing I do remember from that is that his car was in the lot at the park - his keys were in his office - across town.

Hmmmmmmmmm. You don't say.

"Police body-camera footage was not available because the system had been “knocked offline” during officers' struggle with Medlin, who was ultimately subdued and arrested with the use of a stun gun, the newspaper reported"

But if you record (even though legal and certified by SCOTUS, you can get arrested or shot for ‘interfering’.

Back
Top Bottom