Handcuffed man shot inside police cruiser

Why was the suspect placed in the front seat? Article says SOP for that department but that's just a problem waiting to happen (obviously)

Not that uncommon anymore. Today's 'police cruisers' are so small that the cage makes the backseat unusable.

I'd like to see the memo though.

"When officers located the driver, they smelled PCP and believed the man was under the influence, Cotterman said."

PCP has a smell?

Something smells with this story that is for sure

"When officers located the driver, they smelled PCP and believed the man was under the influence, Cotterman said."

PCP has a smell?

Something smells with this story that is for sure

Yes. Many drugs have unique or distinct smells when they are smoked. Be interesting to hear the rest of the story if we ever do. But people on PCP are literally out of their f***ing minds, it’s a hallucinogen, they get almost super human strength and feel absolutely zero physical pain.

This is why only cops should have guns - nary an accident...

From what little information the story gives us it doesn’t sound like an accident at all. One shot maybe for an ND, but this guy was shot multiple times after witnesses reported hearing a struggle inside the vehicle.

I've never been in the back of the new cruisers. They were crown vics back in my day.

Dodge Chargers 'look' big on the outside. If I had one as my daily work vehicle, I'd suck start my pistol. Terrible use of space efficiency once you start putting radios and cages in them. Crown Vics were amazing vehicles for what they were.

"The shooting wasn't caught on body-camera video because the officer didn't have one, Cotterman said. Investigators were looking for surveillance cameras in the area that may have recorded the shooting. "

Like, "didn't have one" because this entire police department doesn't use them, or "didn't have one" because he didn't put one on?

Anyway, PCP--I'm going to assume the guy started biting like a caged, feral animal.

Peep likely attacked the officer. Possibly biting him or reaching with his cuffed hands for the service firearm. They will investigate and find the truth. Until then he works a desk.

That was quick, he was charged with murder. The chief said he didn't believe pcp was involved and that the officer shot 7 times

"There are no circumstances under which this outcome was acceptable," Stawinski (Chief) said.

Stawinski walked back several statements that Prince George's County media relations representative initially said Monday evening following the shooting.

"We do not believe PCP was involved, we do not have independent witnesses that observed a struggle and we do not know for certainty that Mr. Green was seat-belted in.

giphy.gif

Like, "didn't have one" because this entire police department doesn't use them, or "didn't have one" because he didn't put one on?

An article I read says they only have a body camera pilot program currently, and only about 5% of the cops in the department have body cameras. So he likely didn't have one to be wearing.

Anyway, PCP--I'm going to assume the guy started biting like a caged, feral animal.

Now saying no PCP involved.

There are no circumstances under which this outcome was acceptable," Stawinski (Chief) said.

Stawinski walked back several statements that Prince George's County media relations representative initially said Monday evening following the shooting.

"We do not believe PCP was involved, we do not have independent witnesses that observed a struggle and we do not know for certainty that Mr. Green was seat-belted in that cruiser," Stawinksi clarified.

Surprising in a good way that the Chief would say that. Very rare. Usually they stick with their story to the end, or when it becomes clear that story is bunk, just pretend they never said anything.

You got to think that a murder charge and the chief retracting their initial statements all happening within a day, that either this was very very bad, or there's substantial political pressure. Or both.

Last edited:
That was quick, he was charged with murder. The chief said he didn't believe pcp was involved and that the officer shot 7 times

the police investigate and found he was at fault. As usual the truth comes out when the police investigate.

Back
Top Bottom