• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hand Sanitizer

What about wipes?

I like to wipe down all my stuff when I get home (keys, phones etc.) and take a shower before interacting with my wife. I’ve been working in the city since day 1 of this.

I have some stocked up still but am wondering where one can get wipes. The markup from the classic shaving guys is just insane.

Can I just douse some paper towels in hand sanitizer? Probably a stupid question.

Edit: Ordered more sanitizer from Chemical Guys.

Put paper towels in the wipe container once it's empty, usually there's liquid left.

I've seen Clorox wipes start to show up online, I didn't order any cause we don't use many. I'll post in this thread if I see more.

So I got my gallon of hand sanitizer that had a neutral to alcohol smell. I poured it into a one quart sprayer added 1 tablespoon on lemon extract from the spice rack and now it doesn't smell half bad.

Last edited:
Chemical Guys has 16oz. bottles of hand sanitizer gel for $9.99: SeventyGel Hand Sanitizer 70% Alcohol Antiseptic Gel Topical Solution (16oz) |

If you're not familiar with Chemical Guys, they specialize in car care products, and they're one of the most respected in the business.

Frank
Thanks. Ordered a 5 pack and it should be here next week (from California). Also got some smaller empty bottles from Amazon for on the go use. Figured it would be good for once we are allowed to leave the house again. The automatic dispenser stuff they have at work kinda socks.

Ok, so I've received all three sources Adam's Polishes, Classic Shaving, Chemical Guys (just arrived this morning). Adam's Polish is a water-thin product, so came with a spray nozzle. I actually like it as I can spray a cloth or a surface (door handle of the car). The other two are gel based, with the Chemical Guys being the thinner of the two. They both have a low odor, but and does fade, but I found Chemical Guys being the better smell of the two (personal preference). Classic shaving is just by pack of 4 8oz, or 8 (4oz) bottles, and Chemical Guys and Adam's available in 16oz bottles ($9.99 and $15.99 respectively). Would go for either one again, but would likely go with Adam Polish and Chemical Guys for the 16oz price.

Thanks to everyone who posted about them!

I did finally get my order from Classic Shave, I bought the gal bottle. It says gel on the bottle, as it did online, but it's water thin. Of course they did rip me off for the $31.95 extra I paid for 2 day shipping, they sent it UPS 5 day ground. And of course they aren't responding about that either. So they leave me no option but to yank it back through the credit card. I don't know why a company would damage their reputation so much. I get the busy part, but they've had weeks to respond to a simple issue and have chosen not to respond, making it into a big deal.

Now if I could just find some masks. I got some of those KN95 masks but they are too small, won't stay hooked to my ears. Same problem with a couple cloth ones (better than nothing). I guess I've got a big head.

I had to go to BJ's yesterday, Chicopee unfortunately. They had hand sanitizer $4.99 one per person.

I haven't been to Walmart around here they are zoo's. Like Tiger King without the tigers.

Anyways I buy eyeglass wipes a thin towelette in a bulk pack of 100 about $6.00 if I recall last time I needed them.

They do wonders on glasses and a perfect to wipe your hands once, better than nothing isopropyl alcohol is on these. They are in the optical area. I doubt many are buying them for other uses.

Still waiting for Classic Shave and Chemical guys, both say they have shipped. Adam's polishes was the fastest turnaround and I also like the spray bottles.

I did finally get my order from Classic Shave, I bought the gal bottle. It says gel on the bottle, as it did online, but it's water thin. Of course they did rip me off for the $31.95 extra I paid for 2 day shipping, they sent it UPS 5 day ground. And of course they aren't responding about that either. So they leave me no option but to yank it back through the credit card. I don't know why a company would damage their reputation so much. I get the busy part, but they've had weeks to respond to a simple issue and have chosen not to respond, making it into a big deal.

Now if I could just find some masks. I got some of those KN95 masks but they are too small, won't stay hooked to my ears. Same problem with a couple cloth ones (better than nothing). I guess I've got a big head.

For your mask fit, if it has the individual EAR straps and are too big, tie each one off at the very end as if you’re tying a balloon knot (no homo), this will tighten them up and allow very small measures of adjustment as well.

If the ear straps are too short/small, tie an elastic band to each end, thus making it into a head strap.

I disputed the charge with Amex who removed the charge immediately- and then the product showed up. I undisputed the charge but Amex has to contact them so who knows. I don't mind paying cause it seems kind a good product. Mine is very gel like, just like Purell. I gave one bottle to a buddy who's a butcher at the grocery store.

Our local Big Y now has three types of hand sanitizer, FYI. One is the funny smelling one posted earlier, the other two are liquid, which I don't want.

I made my own high tech version. I poured some liquid soap into a gallon jug of water. Total cost = almost nothing. Availability = everywhere. I've kept a jug of my soapy water in my truck since the 80s when i started working construction, and as far as I can tell I'm not dead yet.

I disputed the charge with Amex who removed the charge immediately- and then the product showed up. I undisputed the charge but Amex has to contact them so who knows. I don't mind paying cause it seems kind a good product. Mine is very gel like, just like Purell. I gave one bottle to a buddy who's a butcher at the grocery store.
I don't mind paying for the product, despite all the BS, but I'm not paying for the 2 day shipping that they didn't use. I don't even know if I can dispute just part of the bill, I might have to dispute all of it then wait till they contact me. I sent one last email on Wednesday, I'm calling the credit company tomorrow.

Put paper towels in the wipe container once it's empty, usually there's liquid left.

I've seen Clorox wipes start to show up online, I didn't order any cause we don't use many. I'll post in this thread if I see more.
Been using scent free baby wipes. I just pour in 95 abv into the package which sucks up about 20oz (600ml) in a 80 wipe package. It just about triples the weight of the wipes.
I use 2 wipes a trip to the store, one in each hand. Wipe cart handle, wipe fingers, hands, knuckles anything I touch***.
Load up truck, discard wipes, and sanitize hands. Routine......

*** Caution: High abv sanitizer will melt some plastics. Noticed this with bread bags and the print transferring to my fingers and the plastic shrinking.

Have not noticed any damage or discoloration to the stock grips on my sig226.

Opened up my hand sanitizer from Classic Shave and I'm going for a full refund. This stuff is unusable. The smell is rancid and STRONG. used it 3 hours ago and have washed my hands 5 or 6 times and the smell is still there, it's making me sick, it's that bad.

Found this on-line, I'm not alone https://www.trustpilot.com/review/classicshaving.com

Anyone else get this from them, how does it smell? When I opened mine I found the foil seal half peeled of, I didn't think this stuff could go bad but it's that or just made wrong.

Opened up my hand sanitizer from Classic Shave and I'm going for a full refund. This stuff is unusable. The smell is rancid and STRONG. used it 3 hours ago and have washed my hands 5 or 6 times and the smell is still there, it's making me sick, it's that bad.

Found this on-line, I'm not alone ClassicShaving.com is rated "Bad" with 1.4 / 5 on Trustpilot

Anyone else get this from them, how does it smell? When I opened mine I found the foil seal half peeled of, I didn't think this stuff could go bad but it's that or just made wrong.

Mine didn't have any foil seal (set of 4 smaller bottles). It definitely wasn't a Bath and Body Works scent, but found it faded after a minute or two of using it to the point I'd need to put my nose directly in the palm of my hand to smell anything.

I bought the froggys and the smell is horrible but I also read on another forum if you boil a handful of pre 82 pennies and put them in for 48 hrs its clears up the smell. I read multiple accounts of this working. I'm a plumber so I just used a couple 8" pcs of type L tube for maximum copper surface area. It won't be 48 hrs till tomorrow afternoon but I'll report back. If it works it could be helpful for anyone with the smell.

Found this on-line, I'm not alone ClassicShaving.com is rated "Bad" with 1.4 / 5 on Trustpilot

Whoa, I opened mine a week ago when I got it, and it smelled fine, but today it smells terrible. WTF. Never had a seal on it.

If AMEX comes back saying I need to pay I'm gonna tell them it's unusable.

I found the 5gal jug of 70% Ethanol USP in our flammable cabinet at work in Boston had expired. Rather than burden our facility environmental safety manager with the cost and effort of disposing with such hazardous waste, I brought it back to NH to dispose of one spray at a time.

Whoa, I opened mine a week ago when I got it, and it smelled fine, but today it smells terrible. WTF. Never had a seal on it.

If AMEX comes back saying I need to pay I'm gonna tell them it's unusable.

I'll have to try that, wasn't bad when I got it. Hopefully it didn't change.

Walmart in Seabrook, NH had 8oz Purell Hand Sanitizer for $1.99 (limit 1) Sunday evening. Had about 75 bottles.

I got the Classic Shaving order last week or the week before. I had a chance to use it today.

Smells like. . . . moldy peanut butter or something. WTF???? I'm gonna have to put something into it. But it's thick. Actually, after using the 91%/aloe mix the last week, I prefer that very watery version anyhow. Gets into more cracks and crevices on my hands.

Found some 2oz bottles at my local Lowes last night.

Supply seems to be coming around a little better now.

Yeah, Big Y had Germ-X today. Not sure what's better, Germ-X or Purell, but never seen any legit sanitizer at Big Y til today. Must be getting back in supply.

I got Classic Shaving order too. Smell is terrible, and the stuff is so thick, you really need to wash your hands afterwards with a good detergent. I don't know if I even want to use this crap. What a waste of money! I got a whole gallon :(

Back
Top Bottom