Hand Loading Kit?

MaverickNH

NES Member
I seem to recall that one can buy portable hand loading gear to reload round by round without a bench. Low volume, obviously.

Am I making this stuff up?

Lee has a handpress kit:

It's basically a portable single stage, you can load batches like any other press.

“That’s like playing with a dollhouse” - my gf and assistant reloader

I’m curious, how do you foresee yourself using this device? It conjures lots of images in my head of all the inappropriate places you could pass the time reloading lol

I’m curious, how do you foresee yourself using this device? It conjures lots of images in my head of all the inappropriate places you could pass the time reloading lol
I know people that size/decap with them while watching TV. Just pull up a coffee can full of 9x19 brass and size/deprime it, etc.

Others have brought them to the range to do "on the scene" load testing, but I wouldn't personally, easier to do small batches and bring a few.

They're really not any different than a single stage other than you're using your arms to do the work instead of the bench, and the whole kit is like $65.

I also remember--I had a friend get a handpress because he was a renter and couldn't/didn't have the means for a bench press. You can slide the handpress under your bed. Since it uses regular dies and shellholders, any of those you buy are transferrable to a traditional bench press once you "upgrade." It's also a way for people curious about reloading to get into it with a low cost. $62 for a kit vs. $550-$650 for a Dillon, etc.

It definitely makes your primer supply last longer. That’s a huge plus!
To this point I sometimes bust out one of these old tools and HANDload some ammo to pass the time.
The 550s make ammo too fast. This gives me a reason to need to load more often in smaller batches which I don’t mind.
I don’t run out of components that way.

I have a 650 press but my Brother-in-Law just wants to reload for deer hunting. So, I figured I’d set him up for handloading and help him work up a load.

I used to load 300 win mag w/ Lee loader back in the 70's. You won't set any speed records but it will get the job done and save a few bucks. Buy in is a bit more today.

Back
Top Bottom