• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hampshire College Cancels Female Pro 2A Speech

PaulR

NES Member
Shocker of the day right?
http://www.gazettenet.com/antonia-okafor-14190029

Credit: Daily Hampshire Gazette

HADLEY — Hampshire College canceled an event with a women’s empowerment and gun rights advocate Wednesday night, a last-minute decision that rankled both the speaker and the group that brought her to campus.

“What really happened is this,” wrote Antonia Okafor on Facebook. “Someone failed to do a Google search on me and then started freaking out once professors, students and the media started calling in, demanding that I don’t speak tonight.”

Okafor is an advocate for concealed carry on college campuses. She founded EmPOWERed, a movement of women on college campuses who feel empowered to use a gun for self-defense.

The college disagreed with Okafor’s take.

“We did not cancel the speech because of the speaker, the subject of the speech, or the content,” spokesman John Courtmanche said in a statement. “Hampshire College values academic freedom and the careful examination of ideas, including when those ideas may be controversial.”

Courtmanche said the college canceled the event when officials realized that Junoon: South Asian and International Students Association, the student group sponsoring the event, submitted an insufficient application.

“It lacked the necessary details we require in advance of any event, particularly one that might draw large audiences and intense debate, so we can allot the appropriate resources to staff and support the event,” Courtmanche said.

The college apologized and Courtmanche said officials would reach out to Okafor to reschedule.

Okafor, meanwhile, is scheduled to speak as part of a campus tour at Mount Holyoke College Thursday at 7 p.m. in Cleveland L-2. On Friday, she’s scheduled to speak at Harvard University.

Rahim Hirani, president of the South Asian and International Students Association, said the group scheduled the event less than a week ago and it was approved on Monday.

Along with cultural and ethnic events, Hirani said the group organizes events based on public interest and controversies.

For Okafor’s talk, Hirani said he put up dozens of fliers around campus to spread the word. But a few hours before the event, Hirani received an email that there was not a full description of the presenter and her background. The email also said that with a controversial subject like the Second Amendment, extra considerations and precautions need to be put in place which cannot be done on a short notice.

Okafor responded to Hampshire College’s statement and apology Wednesday night on Facebook stating that Hirani regularly hosts events on campus and knows exactly how to fill out the application.

Okafor, a graduate student at the University of Texas in Dallas, grew up in a liberal household and her family did not own guns. She said she’s had her license to carry since 2016.

“For a long time guns were scary,” she said. “I understand people’s fear for it.”

Okafor said she was sexually assaulted when she was young. She didn’t go into detail with the Gazette, but the moment impacted her and she fights to prevent assaults from happening — specifically on college campuses.

She advocated concealed weapons on campus in Texas, a legislation known as “campus carry,” which was passed in 2015.

She advocates for not only guns to be allowed on campus, but other tools for self-defense like pepper spray and stun guns. Along with firearms, Hampshire College and Mount Holyoke College do not allow pepper spray, tasers, stun guns and most knives on campus.

Okafor launched her campus tour in October funded by the Leadership Institute, an organization that supports the conservative movement. So far she’s been to University of Massachusetts Amherst and Yale Law School, as well as a few other schools across the United States. She said she’s booked through the spring.

Kassy Dillon, president of Mount Holyoke College Republicans, said 200 fliers for Thursday’s event have been ripped down and a counter-discussion has been scheduled, but many people in the community are interested.

“We’re expecting a full house,” Dillon said.

okafor.jpg

"Kassy Dillon, president of Mount Holyoke College Republicans"

Man, you want to talk about a MINORITY group!!

“We did not cancel the speech because of the speaker, the subject of the speech, or the content,” spokesman John Courtmanche said in a statement. “Hampshire College values academic freedom and the careful examination of ideas, including when those ideas may be controversial.”

Now, I have heard some whoppers in my day, but this one takes the cake. What a bunch of dishonest, lying d-bags POSs that run that "school"!

1. Hottie.

2. Good trigger discipline.

3. Hampshire College?? Hahahahahahaha. They are the ones that you don't get grades at, right? You make up a curriculum at the other 4 schools, go wander in and take classes and get a degree. Yeah. OK. Good job.

I don't know how much of it makes the MSM, there is a tremendous amount of anti-free speech stuff going on at colleges these days. https://www.thefire.org/
Banning a Pro firearms speaker is beyond expected, they've banned speakers and rioted on college campuses for much less. See Middlebury where they assaulted an author who had written on the genetic component of IQ(I know we have our own deniers here.) Or the Laurier university incident in which a teaching assistant was reprimanded for showing a clip from Canadian public TV that had a fairly tame professor arguing against forced use of gender pronouns. If people knew how bad the universities are a lot of them wouldn't send their kids. 200K borrowed against your kids future earnings so they can be infantalised and brainwashed to be weak commies...

Hampshire College has always been a joke and always will be.

LOL... Hampshire is where Trigglypuff parks her fat ass...

takeyourhatespeechoutofthiscampus.gif

About

Trigglypuff
is the nickname given to a Hampshire College student who was recorded loudly protesting in the audience of a University of Massachusetts Amherst event titled “The Triggering,” which featured a discussion criticizing politically correct movements on campus hosted by conservative vlogger Steven Crowder, Milo Yiannopoulos, and Christina Hoff Sommers.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trigglypuff

And as it turns out, she's not even a student there, shes a squatter living out of friends dorm rooms.

I was surprised to read it was happening when I read the retweet by Comm2A. I wonder who the school follows to have new concerns over the size of the audience?, Oh, that's right, it was an incomplete application.

Whoa, not guilty.

So they had the whole event set up and then people got their panties in a twist so someone double-checked the permit application and found a reason to cancel it. That sounds like the actions of a college that "values academic freedom and the careful examination of ideas, including when those ideas may be controversial".

In the world we should live in , nothing in the bill of rights should be "controversial."

Oh, we can finally pull the race card? I have to assume the racists cancelled it because she's black. Time to find some news site comment sections and get a little trolling in.

Hampshire College
  1. Not in New Hampshire
  2. Not a real collage
Really a place for daddy’s little snowflake to invent a phony degree (really, no grades, you invent your major and ring a frigging bell when you’re done).

Holy crap. I didn't even know such a place existed.

From their website:

Areas of Study
At Hampshire you won't choose a major the way you might buy a product. Rather, you'll build a concentration out of your interests and intellectual curiosity, in close consultation with your faculty advisors.

Their site is full of nice sounding ideas with zero substance. But you'll learn those critical thinking skills that align with everyone else's.

Oh yeah. They've been doing it that way for far longer than Hahhh'vuhhd students have been arguing that grades are arbitrary and unjust. LOL

Hampshire basically bills parents $50K in tuition - JUST tuition, to pay off PART of it to the other Valley schools to actually "teach" the students some classes and then hands said-students a degree. It's a brilliant racket. It's pure capitalism (think an infomercial or a newspaper ad selling a drop-shipped product) disguised as liberal commie-ism.

$65K full-cost to live there. Do you really think it costs $15K to live and eat in the Valley??? Really????? Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! Double-whammy.

I didn't see it but she was supposed to be on Fox and Friends at 8:45 today regarding this. I know some of you have found Fox excerpts and posted them.

MYFJVThf_bigger.jpg
Antonia Okafor‏Verified account @antonia_okafor 21h21 hours ago

Antonia Okafor Retweeted Hampshire College
Hampshire College's NEW apology. An actual one. Not one that blames the student for an error he did not make.

TjS9qV8M_bigger.jpg
Hampshire College‏ @hampshirecolg 23h23 hours ago

Hampshire did not follow its own procedures for sufficiently reviewing the student application for an event with @antonia_okafor before we approved it. We take responsibility for that mistake, apologize, and we're exploring options to reschedule her visit

Back
Top Bottom