Hammock Camping Thread

A couple of things I notice when camping in the cold. Layering, depending on what you are layering with, can be counter productive. Amazingly enough, I sleep barefoot (no socks) when it's cold out. It sounds really crazy, and I thought it was too, but I swear it works. Socks and other stuff, especially when tight, actually make my feet colder. Also, underquilts and top quilts work well because they you your heat to warm you. If you are wearing clothing that keeps your heat in, you're not allowing the quilts to do their jobs.

The The DD quilts are much like the snugpak topquilts and are good for summer sleeping, and that is about it. That's all me and the kids use those for (the snugpak ones). The Arrowhead top quilts that are 3 season will get you down to about 25* with a fleece insert. Also, I've been eying the UGQOutdoors quilts lately. The price point is pretty sweet.

With me, if my backside is cold, I'm cold. Me and my buddies (the 2 other monkeys as our wives call us) all took our times this last season tuning our underquilts and marking them to make sure the set up was consistent.

The new hammock I have has a winter cover and keeps the inside of the hammock a good 5-10 degrees warmer. That combined with having the rainfly continuous ridgeline almost touching the ridgeline of the hammock keeps the air still as well.

Don't give up!

I met up with 2 other dudes and we hung our hammocks in an other dudes basement from the floor rafters Saturday night. It worked out quite well and was better then rock/paper/scissors for his couch.
Ha! We have a trip in January where we actually stay in the basement of the cabin and hook our hammocks up to the lolly columns. They're perfectly spaced, and there are enough to hang 6 hammocks. That basement is cold so we bring a vent-less propane heater.

Ha! We have a trip in January where we actually stay in the basement of the cabin and hook our hammocks up to the lolly columns. They're perfectly spaced, and there are enough to hang 6 hammocks. That basement is cold so we bring a vent-less propane heater.

This dude had a large wood stove down there, so it was nice and warm until it burned down around 4am. Even then it wasn't too bad, I slept with no blanket or sleeping bag. It is a nice fall back option to have if I crash at someone's house moving forward, assuming the basement isn't a disaster. I keep my hammock stuff in a small cinch sack in my Jeep, so it is always with me.

I'm still just using the HH mylar bubble pad, a 0F sleeping bag with a surplus goretex bivy and the below "hammock" as an underquilt. Works down into freezing temps 15-20F without getting more than an occasional shiver. Certainly not icicles! You definitely need to keep the fly down steep and touching the hammock walls in any cold weather. I prefer loose fitting bulky wool socks for my feet. You can't wear tight socks as mentioned above because they restrict blood flow A LOT.

If you're actually out in the woods, another helper is to cut pine boughs down and create an oval under the fly, around the hammock as a wind break. Kind of like making a nest.

The cheap hammock I use as an underquilt:
Amazon product ASIN B00XOO8LU0View: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XOO8LU0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A couple of things I notice when camping in the cold. Layering, depending on what you are layering with, can be counter productive. Amazingly enough, I sleep barefoot (no socks) when it's cold out. It sounds really crazy, and I thought it was too, but I swear it works. Socks and other stuff, especially when tight, actually make my feet colder. Also, underquilts and top quilts work well because they you your heat to warm you. If you are wearing clothing that keeps your heat in, you're not allowing the quilts to do their jobs.

The The DD quilts are much like the snugpak topquilts and are good for summer sleeping, and that is about it. That's all me and the kids use those for (the snugpak ones). The Arrowhead top quilts that are 3 season will get you down to about 25* with a fleece insert. Also, I've been eying the UGQOutdoors quilts lately. The price point is pretty sweet.

With me, if my backside is cold, I'm cold. Me and my buddies (the 2 other monkeys as our wives call us) all took our times this last season tuning our underquilts and marking them to make sure the set up was consistent.

The new hammock I have has a winter cover and keeps the inside of the hammock a good 5-10 degrees warmer. That combined with having the rainfly continuous ridgeline almost touching the ridgeline of the hammock keeps the air still as well.

Don't give up!

You're the second person to suggest wearing less. I've always heard that but trying to convince myself that less is more when it's 25 degrees out is another story.

I think my next attempt I'll: bring the 0 degree sleeping bag, get the winter cover situated better, bring the tarp down lower and sleep in less. I've camped down into the 20s lots of times in my 0 degree bag and been fine. It's just a lot bulkier than the DD quilt, which is why I brought that. I'm trying like hell to keep the gear I bring to a minimum, but if it means I can keep going through the winter it's worth it.

Those UGQ top quilts do look nice. Boy do they have a lot of options.

You're the second person to suggest wearing less. I've always heard that but trying to convince myself that less is more when it's 25 degrees out is another story.

I think my next attempt I'll: bring the 0 degree sleeping bag, get the winter cover situated better, bring the tarp down lower and sleep in less. I've camped down into the 20s lots of times in my 0 degree bag and been fine. It's just a lot bulkier than the DD quilt, which is why I brought that. I'm trying like hell to keep the gear I bring to a minimum, but if it means I can keep going through the winter it's worth it.

When the snow comes, consider pulling a sled, for me, seems easier and can carry more weight. Of course, it depends on where you're going too.

It's all personal experimentation. You could get 18 different opinions, just like with firearms, but you try everything for yourself and find what works for you. Hell, I didn't believe the bare feet thing until the 13 Falls trip we did last November. I had a hard time even convincing myself, but tried it, with the understanding that I had my fleece socks in my quilt with me to keep them worm just in case. I slept just fine that night (I wear earplugs LOL), and woke up with sweaty feet. Temps got down to 23* that night (had my ABC watch set to thermometer outside on a stump) and it was easily 10 degrees warmer in my hammock.

I didn't know about their quilts until I bought my penny pincher tarp. Pretty sweet, and the next time I buy quilts, they will probably be 4 season quilts from them.

I bought a stuff sack kit from www.ripstopbytheroll.com to start learning how to sew. I've been working on my grandmother's old treadle sewing machine. It predates her by about 10 years so it might have belonged to an aunt or someone before her. I spent quite a bit of time finding all the places that need oil, cleaning off decades worth of grime and started work on the cabinet itself today. While I waited for things to dry I figured out how to thread it. I have the original manual but it seems to assume your mother will be there with you to explain things further, so I asked YouTube for help. Anyway, I got it all set up and started sewing some pieces of old t-shirts when the belt let go. I kind of expected that but had forgotten to order a new one just in case. I'll probably run out later and pick one up.

So that's my story. My plan is to make some guest hammocks, hammock chairs, bushcraft chairs, tarps, etc. for my playground. I like to think my grandmother is smiling down on me when I sit down at the machine.

Oh, while digging through the drawers to see what's in there I found a few old coins. I recognized everything until I came to the sales tax tokens. I guess they were used for low priced items (a few cents) where adding a whole cent for sales tax would be an unfair percentage, so some states issued tokens of lesser value (1/10 cent) that you could use to pay the sales tax.

I used Restore-A-Finish on the upper half of the cabinet with great results. It obviously didn't repair the delaminating veneer, but it did a nice job bringing the wood back to life. The finish is very cracked (and missing in places) if anyone has any ideas for that. I thought about trying denatured alcohol to see if it would soften the finish and allow it to be redistributed if it's a lacquer. I'm not interested in applying a new finish so I'll just keep it waxed.

Before and after.

Attachments

• 42cvQoEtR7WCeko74R2U3g.jpg
    42cvQoEtR7WCeko74R2U3g.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DIXzj1upSreVLOdB5AT9jw.jpg
    DIXzj1upSreVLOdB5AT9jw.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
New UGQOutdoors "Penny Pincher" 12' cat cut tarp. I wasn't expecting it to come in today.

f85c56454fd28a84ec5b2c85d1332e3c.jpg

72e1653682087cf901142c4efbfc5959.jpg

The two maples in my back yard are the perfect distance apart. I also got the continuous ridgeline with alien clips and amsteel. Very slick. I made guylines from shock cord and they work awesome with this tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How dry will that tarp keep things in the rain? I'm looking to switch from my heavy old tent to a hammock - but I'm still in the PNW at least until later this summer (if the detailers ever cut orders for Surfmen - March 31 target date this AY). Wondering if I need to bother with one of the "winter" tarps that has the sort of flaps on the ends, or if the open ones like that one you've got there keep things dry in heavy rain.

Back is too hammered for sleeping on the ground much nowadays, don't feel like lugging a cot, and don't care for sharing a tent, so this hammock thing might be worth trying.

How dry will that tarp keep things in the rain? I'm looking to switch from my heavy old tent to a hammock - but I'm still in the PNW at least until later this summer (if the detailers ever cut orders for Surfmen - March 31 target date this AY). Wondering if I need to bother with one of the "winter" tarps that has the sort of flaps on the ends, or if the open ones like that one you've got there keep things dry in heavy rain.

Back is too hammered for sleeping on the ground much nowadays, don't feel like lugging a cot, and don't care for sharing a tent, so this hammock thing might be worth trying.

Do it. My back is smoked as well (make sure you go through the VA process before you retire...>). That tarp is the best one I have had so far, and keeps me and my gear plenty dry. I even use it on clear nights to keep the light out. I've been through 5 tarps so far, I like this one the best. Inexpensive, and packs well in a net snake skin. Winter tarps with doors are heavy. I don't use them because I don't hammock in anything colder than 30*.

Do yourself a favor, this is a buy once cry once kind of thing. I'm on my 3rd hammock (the chameleon) and I love this one. I wish it had been around when I started hammocking.

What did you put in for?

Do it. My back is smoked as well (make sure you go through the VA process before you retire...>). That tarp is the best one I have had so far, and keeps me and my gear plenty dry. I even use it on clear nights to keep the light out. I've been through 5 tarps so far, I like this one the best. Inexpensive, and packs well in a net snake skin. Winter tarps with doors are heavy. I don't use them because I don't hammock in anything colder than 30*.

Do yourself a favor, this is a buy once cry once kind of thing. I'm on my 3rd hammock (the chameleon) and I love this one. I wish it had been around when I started hammocking.

What did you put in for?

So I was on Woot.Com the other day and they had Twisted Root hammocks, top quilts, and tarps on sale. Ended up buying one of each - I figure if it works out, I upgrade to a Chameleon and I'm only out a $15 hammock that we'll still have a use for. Top quilt and tarp will still be perfectly useful even if I upgrade. And if it sucks - well, I'm out for a $15 hammock, and I'm sure I can find a good use for the hammock and tarp, and I'm sure the quilt, too.

I'm REALLY tempted to order a Chameleon with the new style symmetrical winter cover, seems it would be perfect for cooler weather camping. Only thing stopping me is zero experience with hammock camping - hence the $15 hammock.

So I was on Woot.Com the other day and they had Twisted Root hammocks, top quilts, and tarps on sale. Ended up buying one of each - I figure if it works out, I upgrade to a Chameleon and I'm only out a $15 hammock that we'll still have a use for. Top quilt and tarp will still be perfectly useful even if I upgrade. And if it sucks - well, I'm out for a $15 hammock, and I'm sure I can find a good use for the hammock and tarp, and I'm sure the quilt, too.

I'm REALLY tempted to order a Chameleon with the new style symmetrical winter cover, seems it would be perfect for cooler weather camping. Only thing stopping me is zero experience with hammock camping - hence the $15 hammock.
I started with a Grand Trunk. That's been passed to one of the scouts in my troop. I think I used it 4 times before I moved into the Hammeck Netty, which I used for a season and a half before getting a full kit chameleon with asym cover and handing over the netty to my daughter (my son already has a netty). She had a Roo, and now that's a guest hammock for up at the camp.

A lot of the kids use the twisted root stuff, and seem to do fine with them. My only concern would be how long it is (10' or 11' or 9'8", etc). You should be OK for a few trips, honestly. Get the hang of it (hahahahaha) figure out which direction of lay works for you best, etc.

So I'm building a new stand for my hammock. I didn't like the turtle dog stand I had built, and need something a bit less bulky. Pictures when it's done (hopefully this weekend). It's going to be based on this:

Super simple, strong, fairly cheap, very quick bipod style stand.

I already have the top rail from my turtle dog stand, so that cuts the costs down. I'm going to hit up Gate City Fence for four 6' lengths of 1-3/8 fence pipe. I already ordered the joints, and just need some cheap chain (I already have the other hardware). Trying to get it done before the NHX Jamboree (I'm NOT sleeping on the damn ground at Loudin Speedway)

I started with a Grand Trunk. That's been passed to one of the scouts in my troop. I think I used it 4 times before I moved into the Hammeck Netty, which I used for a season and a half before getting a full kit chameleon with asym cover and handing over the netty to my daughter (my son already has a netty). She had a Roo, and now that's a guest hammock for up at the camp.

A lot of the kids use the twisted root stuff, and seem to do fine with them. My only concern would be how long it is (10' or 11' or 9'8", etc). You should be OK for a few trips, honestly. Get the hang of it (hahahahaha) figure out which direction of lay works for you best, etc.

So this weekends camping trip finally provided an opportunity for my own proof of concept - both mornings, I woke up and got out of that hammock, threw my boots on, and walked away with my back not even a little bit sore. I don’t even remember the last time that happened on a camping trip (but it was long enough ago that most of the country had never heard of Bill Clinton). I’m convinced on this hammock thing - time to start doing some rigging on a better ridgeline and household money laundering for a Dutchware Chameleon. (Not having a bug net is lame, and I’m too much a proud Boatswains Mate to not make up that ridgeline myself. I figure if I can splice Plasma bridles, I can splice the same stuff at 1/8”...or die trying...)

So this weekends camping trip finally provided an opportunity for my own proof of concept - both mornings, I woke up and got out of that hammock, threw my boots on, and walked away with my back not even a little bit sore. I don’t even remember the last time that happened on a camping trip (but it was long enough ago that most of the country had never heard of Bill Clinton). I’m convinced on this hammock thing - time to start doing some rigging on a better ridgeline and household money laundering for a Dutchware Chameleon. (Not having a bug net is lame, and I’m too much a proud Boatswains Mate to not make up that ridgeline myself. I figure if I can splice Plasma bridles, I can splice the same stuff at 1/8”...or die trying...)
You did it right. How did your legs feel? Sometimes if I don't get my lay just right in the hammock, my knees seem to hyper extend just a tiny bit, so I usually roll up a blanket or a pillow under my knees. I haven't felt the need to in the Chameleon yet, but needed to in the netty and the trunk....

You did it right. How did your legs feel? Sometimes if I don't get my lay just right in the hammock, my knees seem to hyper extend just a tiny bit, so I usually roll up a blanket or a pillow under my knees. I haven't felt the need to in the Chameleon yet, but needed to in the netty and the trunk....

When I got into the hammocking I was kicking myself for not converting earlier, no stiff cold backs, no back torques trying to get out of the tent, etc. I still gert a little creeped out when out camping off trail and something walks underneath me though!

When I got into the hammocking I was kicking myself for not converting earlier, no stiff cold backs, no back torques trying to get out of the tent, etc. I still gert a little creeped out when out camping off trail and something walks underneath me though!
There was a trip a couple years ago that one of the scouts thought it would be funny to put an apple core at the base of one of my trees. Something shook that tree for a good half hour, and I'm glad I couldn't see it.....

We were camping in Moab and Zion two weeks ago. Unfortunately, it was tent time because of the lack of trees. We have an overnighter coming in June in NH where I can hammock camp again. My daughter and I did a Maine trip last year in Grafton notch with the hammocks, and it was great. I only had air mattresses at the time, which was ok but not great. I was able to keep my pack light though, around twenty pounds, with water and food for a two day trip.

This year I am trading my bag for a quilt, and also have an under quilt. It is a OneTigris, so not the lightest, but probably the same weight as an air mattress. The quilt will shed some weight though. I also made whoopie slings for the hammock, which allowed me to get rid of the thick chord used to cinch the ends of the hammock, and replaces the need for webbing. I sewed up two five foot lengths of flat webbing though for a tree strap. The slings and webbing fit into the hammock sack; nice and compact and shaves a bunch of weight (I had Atlas straps). My goal is to be under 20 lbs, maybe hit 18 lbs.

I saw some posts about tarps in this thread. I have a mamajamba. I think it is 11 feet by 11 feet. If the trees are spaced right, I can fit two hammocks under it. Very well made and reasonably light (13 ounces). They cost around 100 bucks. I had it out west for our trip. My daughter used it as her tent, using a rainfly as a ground cloth. Talk about a simple and light setup. Of course, no bugs in Moab or Zion.

Someone else was asking about backpacks. I use an Osprey Exos 58 for backpacking. I cannot say enough about this thing. It can't be more than a couple of pounds. But it has a great "frame", excellent support, and while everything on it is focusing on weight, it is so well thought out. Just awesome. It is also setup for a bladder, although I prefer to bottles in the sides (I try to only carry two liters and bring a filter for resupplying). So far it is tough as nails. Numerous hikes, dragged through some airports, and thrown all over the place during our trips.

While I do not have the opportunity to camp a lot each year, I thoroughly enjoy it and hammocking kicks it up a notch. The pursuit of trying to go as light as possible (while balancing not spending too much on super tech gear) is so much fun. Getting the system light and actually becoming more comfortable when hiking, eating and sleeping just pushes it over the top for me :) Pete

The tarp tent:

20180514_202715.jpg

Roughing it in Moab:
20180513_192704.jpg

What’s everyone doing for a tarp ridgeline? I rigged one today with a Dutch Clip spliced onto about 32’ of Zing-It, and a Wasp on the other end. Turned out to be just barely long enough! The pre-spliced ones I see online all seem to be about 30’.

Are the trees in my backyard just too far apart, or should I splice it a bit longer?

What’s everyone doing for a tarp ridgeline? I rigged one today with a Dutch Clip spliced onto about 32’ of Zing-It, and a Wasp on the other end. Turned out to be just barely long enough! The pre-spliced ones I see online all seem to be about 30’.

Are the trees in my backyard just too far apart, or should I splice it a bit longer?
When I started, I was using figure 9 caribiners on each corner with paracord. Right now I am using this set up for my ridgeline:

Continuous Ridge Line (CRL) w/ LoopAliens®

I haven't had an issue with anything further apart. Maybe your trees are too far. As a side not, the pennypincher tarps are on sale

PENNY PINCHER Tarps

And their quilts are on sale too. My kids' quilts are too short for them now (they have 3/4 length Jarbidge underquilts) so they are getting upgrades this Christmas, as am I LOL....

What would you recommend as far as fill in an under quilt for winter camping? Nothing too cold but down to low 20’s high teens? Been using the hammock with a sleeping bag and pad in spring and fall but would like to start winter camping in is as opposed to a tent. I was looking at the Zeplin’s and know I can just order the coldest heaviest they have but am trying to be semi weight conscious too.

What would you recommend as far as fill in an under quilt for winter camping? Nothing too cold but down to low 20’s high teens? Been using the hammock with a sleeping bag and pad in spring and fall but would like to start winter camping in is as opposed to a tent. I was looking at the Zeplin’s and know I can just order the coldest heaviest they have but am trying to be semi weight conscious too.
I'd go the easy route and get a 4 season from Arrowhead. Their quilts are synthetic and on the lighter side. I have 3 season quilts now, and have gone down to 28* with a fleece sleeping bag liner. I want to do more winter stuff, but am not weight conscience yet. Their White cloud top quilt is pretty sweet.

I will take a look, thanks. I keep going back and forth between down and synthetic. Didn’t know if the extra weight of down would be worth it. I am a pretty small person and as with what looks like most of us my back is cooked so try to cut weight where I can.

4 season is sold out so you can’t even see a price on them. Any idea what they normally sell for?

I will take a look, thanks. I keep going back and forth between down and synthetic. Didn’t know if the extra weight of down would be worth it. I am a pretty small person and as with what looks like most of us my back is cooked so try to cut weight where I can.

4 season is sold out so you can’t even see a price on them. Any idea what they normally sell for?
Man, it looks like they are out on all 4 season stuff (or they aren't making them now). I'm waiting for the Zep (ready to ship) quilts are available again. I can live with the 3 season for the top quilt because of the fleece insert, but I have to have a warm ass in my hammock.....

Ya I might shoot them an email later and see what’s up. I have a couple months or so to look around. The Zeplins look pretty nice too. Might email them also and see if they know when stuff might be back in stock.

Back
Top Bottom