• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hammock Camping Thread

Really would love to try this with my Grand Trunk kryptek double hammock. I’ve done ground camping for 23 years and never had good night’s rest unless I was drunk.

Really would love to try this with my Grand Trunk kryptek double hammock. I’ve done ground camping for 23 years and never had good night’s rest unless I was drunk.
I find no matter what the first night I sleep like ass. After that I do better. And I need ear plugs or every chipmunk is a pack of rabid bears out for some of that sweet, sweet person meat.

I don't camp as much as I used to despite having my own super secret squirrel location to do so. I ought to correct that.

Good thing I rushed into a new hammock, passed on the "Digital Credit" from Amazon so I could have it as soon as possible, and now according to UPS it's MIA.

I got the three legged camp stool today. Gotta watch your nuts sitting down, but it does seem like it's gonna be a nice comfy seat.

This is how all of our Hennesseys are setup. You leave it all assembled when packed. You pull it out, wrap the tree strap and latch with carabiner, pull the rope and the rings make the tension self locking. It's a <2min setup.

View: https://youtu.be/1vEXC_1aaxc

I'm trying this right now and the rope still slips. Sometimes it kind of bites when the hammock end is on top, but if that slips over it just pulls through.

I also must have half of my rap rings somewhere else, so I can only do one side this way. WTF.

Well, maybe it worked. It does matter how I dress the rope over the rings, but it's holding. I backed it up with a couple slip knots just to be safe.

Because I'm retarded and separated my rap rings so I only had one pair, I did one side with the over/under/over/under/etc method the owner uses, and the rappel ring method on the other side. I think the tying method might be better. It probably takes a little longer to setup, but I just didn't trust the way the rap rings pinch the rope. I swear it wanted to slip. If it wasn't supposed to rain all day tomorrow I would have slept out there tonight to really test it, but alas I had to tear it down and bring everything in. I wasn't trying to dick around with the fly tonight.

After watching this video I said "Hmm, I've seen straps like that somewhere", a light went on in my head, and I went down into the basement and found them. I normally use 1" hollow webbing, which works great, but the original straps might work better.

View: https://youtu.be/YcVcKdt1P10

It matters if you loop under the rings first or through the middle first. I find through the middle first is usually better.
I did it just like the guy in the video you shared. As long as the hammock end crosses over the tag end, it holds, but without that it just pulls through.

I was just watching some Shug video on material terminology. I wish I'd seen it before I ordered the new one (that UPS seems to have lost). It's double layer 20D, which is "rated" for 300lbs. It sounds nice and light, but also sounds like I'm going to tear it. I guess we'll see.

You can loop it a third or forth time before going between the rings to help increase friction.

Rope diameter to ring diameter (of the material not the OD of the hoop) play a role in how much bite you get.

You can loop it a third or forth time before going between the rings to help increase friction.

Rope diameter to ring diameter (of the material not the OD of the hoop) play a role in how much bite you get.
Thanks, I'll try that, too. I was using the rope built into the Hennessee hammock, which looks to be roughly 1/4". It did seem if it was thinner it might work better. I may just go with the way the Hennessee guy does it. That would/could eliminate all extra hardware: just the tree strap and the built-in rope.

I've been using the trucker's hitch. Tree straps to 6mm utility cord to trucker's hitch to one belay ring lashed to each end of the hammock.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcCZ6TqrNX0

Always use treestraps, cutting a ring in tree bark will kill the tree.

I use that hitch a lot. If I haven't done it in a while there's 100% chance I'll make it facing the wrong direction the first time. Same principle as a lark's head, which I use with a toggle to hang my pack.

Well, I'll be damned. I setup the ENO hammock today with about a 30 degree sag. It took two tries to get the height right, but it was so much better. My whole life has been a waste. Why was I doing it so wrong for so long?

Warning: Not directly hammock related...

Next up, I have some of that yellow polypropylene rope that came with a fid for splicing. So I did some splicing. First a fixed eye using a Brummel Splice. Yup, cut myself immediately cutting off the melted end.

1684721028986.png

Then I added an adjustable loop at the other end making it into a 40' whoopie sling. Here it is nice and taut between two trees, no knots.

1684721106454.png

Later I had a throw line that sometimes gets caught on the knot. It's about 75' long and I leave it in the tree, so I had to go with the long bury splice so it didn't have to come down to splice. It won't have much weight on it, so it should hold fine. This was a different diameter rope so the fid didn't work. I took a piece of wire from a surveyor flag, bent it in half, and used that to do the splicing. It worked great. Sorry, no pic.

I was surprised how easy the splicing was to do and how well it worked. I'm officially a fan. I kind of eyeballed the lengths, but if I was making something that had to really hold I'd measure and mark and all that.

Ok this might be dumb, but I don't tend to go out deep into the woods camping, yet. I usually just rent a spot at a family camp ground, which doesn't usually seem like it would be great for hammock camping as the spots cleared for camping are some what void of trees. If I just go off the edge there's plenty of trees, but not necessarily space for the rain fly to be payed out.

So I was thinking i could hook one end up to a tree and the other end to the tow hitch of the vehicle. . Anyone have any suggestions for something like this.

The drawing below shows the hammock connected to a tree on one end and a tripod on the other. The tripod to get the end of the hammock up. A guide line down to the hitch for support.

PXL_20230522_170746108.jpg

I've found some things like the Eno Nomad or this single point hammock stand. But both seem cramped and could be an issue depending on the length of the hammock

By the way, I do take commissions for drawings, portraits, etc.

Last edited:
Ok this might be dumb, but I don't tend to go out deep into the woods camping, yet. I usually just rent a spot at a family camp ground, which doesn't usually seem like it would be great for hammock camping as the spots cleared for camping are some what void of trees. If I just go off the edge there's plenty of trees, but not necessarily space for the rain fly to be payed out.

So I was thinking i could hook one end up to a tree and the other end to the tow hitch of the vehicle. . Anyone have any suggestions for something like this.

The drawing below shows the hammock connected to a tree on one end and a tripod on the other. The tripod to get the end of the hammock up. A guide line down to the hitch for support.

View attachment 755150

I've found some things like the Eno Nomad or this single point hammock stand. But both seem cramped and could be an issue depending on the length of the hammock

By the way, I do take commissions for drawings, portraits, etc.
If you can, scout out the campground first. I used to car camp with friends and I could usually find a spot for a hammock. My friend was really good about scouting out the best, out of the way sites. Just watch out for places that don't let you attach anything to trees.

I've never tried those methods, but I don't see why they wouldn't work. Less than ideal, yes, but they'd support a hammock.

Welp my new non-camping hammock came today. For an off brand, it seems pretty nice (Onewind brand from Amazon). It came with 1" tree straps and cinch buckles, neither of which are anything to write home about but they work fine. The whoopie sling ridge line seems to work as expected, as in it adjusts and doesn't catch fire, but when I set it for the sag I wanted, it went limp as soon as I sat down. I'll have to play with it some more tomorrow and see where I was going wrong. It's possible my trees are just too close, which would suck because I think I only have one option in the back yard.

The whole thing packs into a double-ended stuff sack about the size of a Nerf football. With a little practice I can see getting a lot of use out of this bad boy.

I ended up with the Tensa Solo Hammock stand. I purchased one of the polls, as I'm 100% sure of a least one tree.

1684855624397.png

if it works out, I'll grab a second as a just in case. I think I might have a camping trip that is going to find us out in a field at some point.

1684855578950.png

They don't look as stable as a tree 2 tree but look good enough as long as I can get the stakes secured.

Anyone with experience????

I ended up with the Tensa Solo Hammock stand. I purchased one of the polls, as I'm 100% sure of a least one tree.

View attachment 755428

if it works out, I'll grab a second as a just in case. I think I might have a camping trip that is going to find us out in a field at some point.

View attachment 755427

They don't look as stable as a tree 2 tree but look good enough as long as I can get the stakes secured.

Anyone with experience????

Ive made these bowl structures before. Not for a hammock but for a tarp. They'll hold a lot of weight for sure, you're right about the staking. Getting a good anchor in sand can be hard.

Here's how mine is setup today

20230526_195622.jpg

Ive made these bowl structures before. Not for a hammock but for a tarp. They'll hold a lot of weight for sure, you're right about the staking. Getting a good anchor in sand can be hard.
I've found that you can use multiple stakes in soft surfaces like sand the same way you would in snow. I "know" this to be called a pyramid anchor, but am failing to find a good example online. This is similar, though:

I might be ready for Amsteel.

Yesterday it was far colder and damper than I was prepared for, so I setup by the fire, cut a few feet off the end of the rope holding my woodpile from bursting, grabbed the bent piece of wire I used last time, and put together a continuous (continual?) loop. It was pretty easy to do. The hardest part was threading the tapered ends through my bent wire tool.

I have no idea what I'll use it for, but I have it and now I know how to make one.

1685886101726.png

I also spent some time clearing a flatter, shaded spot for my hammock. It's not great either, but I got some practice with taut line hitches, and got to use my quick deploy ridge line that has a bowline on one end and three prussik knots pre-attached for putting up a tarp in a hurry. I forget where I got the idea, but Dave Canterbury has a video showing the same thing. It's a really handy thing to keep with your tarp.

He uses a half hitch when he wraps it up, but if you use a clove hitch you get a cleaner deploy without a knot left in the end.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYCte4c0Bj4

So ... got to test the new hammock doing the Pemi trail.

Superior Gear Hammock.
Kuhli Pro tarp.
Some tiny hammock, very light, for gear.

Conclusion- never using a tent again. Unless I go somewhere without trees.

Why Superior Gear:
1. Simple, it is the easiest hammock to set up, and the lightest in the market. I spent a long time researching, reading forums, asking people ... every time someone said "XYZ is the lightest and easiest" I checked it out and Superior won. Every time.

2. Built in quilt. No more worrying about setting up another piece of gear or cold drafts between the hammock and quilt.

Slept in it when it was 36 and raining and 48. Slept like a baby, amazing. Best night sleeps.

The tent is my Taprtent Double Rainbow.

F*ck tents. We had to make sure we arrived to tent sites on time so he would have a place for his tent, I could have put my hammock anywhere on the trail.

20230618_164226.jpg

20230618_164232.jpg

20230618_164236.jpg

SmartSelect_20230620_180434_Photo Editor.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom