Hammer? Or nail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been carrying since the early 80's, 82-84 I forget. Anyway, I always carried a striker fired hangun, mostly 45 but never carrier with a missile in the silo, so to speak. (Israeli style)
But a couple weeks ago I switched over to the Hammer, and the reason to me was was a no brainer. #1 "Always carry with one in the chamber. #2 Too many people shoot themselves or other innocent bystanders with a sticker fired gun with no safety.
But heres my point. As I said, I always carried without a round in the chamber. And thats great if you're in the back of the store and happen to notice a guy holding a gun on the clerk. You simply quietly rack in a round and take in the info, right?

But what if you're standing there and some guy all the sudden starts thrashing at you with a 12" meat cleaver? You got the guy with one hand and your gun with the other but how are you gong to rack in a round while your walking backwards holding onto this dude with the other hand? You aint!
Now back to the hammer vs the nail.
Do you really think that as this guy is thrashing at you with a 12" meat cleaver that you're going to think about placing your finger along side your holster, pulling your gun and carefully pulling the trigger until you feel the point of pressure, than thinking, ok! the gun is going to fire, NOW! Blam!
I dont think so.

I'm thinking, that if someone is thrashing me with a 12" cleaver I'm going to pull my double action hammer, without shooting myself in the leg or some innocent bystander and that 1st 10 pound trigger pull is going to feel like about 0 pounds.
Except! It will feel like 0 pounds after I get it out of the holster and not about half way out.

Thats my opinion, and thats why I carry a hammer style gun. SPHINX SDP to be exact.

Last edited:
Before everyone starts in on you about how the problem is the person not the gun (technically correct) and striker fired is just as safe. Let me say I totally agree with you. Hammer fired, with an external safety, is safer. All you have to do is look at the accidents. And for those you will say it takes longer or the first pull will throw off your aim, that's BS. Practice till it's all muscle memory and you won't even notice.

But that's the key. Practice the way you carry. Same holster, same position, practice strong-hand and weak-hand draw, both DA and SA.

ETA: Go Green!

is this that leaked Tarantino script?

- - - Updated - - -

#2 Too many people shoot themselves or other innocent bystanders with a sticker fired gun with no safety.

I suppose 1 would be too many, unless it's a thug live streaming on YT, but exactly how many are we talkin' here?hundreds?thousands?

by the way, not even going near "sticker" fired gun...

CZ or SPHINX. I never recommend a cheap gun. its like a house, just keep make the payments. In the end you just end up with a winner or a dog.

- - - Updated - - -

I am learning that. A hammer gives you time to think.

But what if you're standing there and some guy all the sudden starts thrashing at you with a 12" meat cleaver? You got the guy with one hand and your gun with the other but how are you gong to rack in a round while your walking backwards holding onto this dude with the other hand? You aint!

You cycle the action by smashing the front sight through his central incisors as you shove the muzzle down his throat then squeeze the trigger resulting in the removal of several cervical vertebrae.

Common knowledge bro.

I don't see the point of carrying any side arm that doesn't have one in the chamber.
I carried a 1911 for the first 8 years of carry.
My uncle,dad and his friends all carried 1911s
Cocked and ready to rock.
I now carry a SW 4013... it's a DA/SA carried with one in the chamber with hammer down or DA.
I also have a SW 38 hammer less.
A gun that is more than a safety click or a pull of the trigger from firing is useless when you really need it....

Dude, you sound like Maura, stop being a ****ing pussy and understand your equipment. If you have a glock, and you no pull the bang switch, it dont go boom.

Nah, nothing less than a full shitmix is sufficient to close this one....

[video=youtube_share;NMGWVrxAMtI]http://youtu.be/NMGWVrxAMtI[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom