Hammer fired SA/DA semi's on a budget (AKA: The CZ 75 Thread)

92 all day long. I install D spring, steel trigger and G conversion kit. nothing better out there. any variant you like. LTT, M9A1, whatever. they're all more similar than different. the biggest difference is holster compatibility. a good example is the 92A1 which is probably my favorite variant except it doesn't share holsters with the other 92's. if the budget allows go for a wilson combat 92G or the LTT elite 92G. i just picked up a 92X centurion and am digging it although the OEM grip panels are too aggressive for AIWB with my gut, so I've gone back to the 92G.

sig P series are wonderful pistols so long as you never shoot them alongside a beretta 92 or CZ 75. I find the P220 to be the least awkward of the sigs probably due to the more forward grip angle of the P220. the CZ 75 full size are great but until CZ builds an alloy frame, something like a P-01 in full size, I find them annoyingly heavy for carry. for some reason I have no issue carrying a 32 oz pistol but once it hits around 38+ oz I start to notice it. the USP/P2000/P30 and PX4 are also winners for me but they haven't done anything better than my 92.

@drgrant

the omega trigger system is considerably simpler design than the original 75. I own both an SP-01 tactical (ie decocker) and a 75 omega in BD (decocker) configuration so have been able to do some comparisons. the omega's DA is nowhere near as smooth although with more rounds it is improving. overall I prefer the older trigger system's feel. while i've never used CGW upgrade parts my understanding is the omega is much less supported by them. further the shape of the triggers are distinct, with the omega being more straight and older style being very hooked which is also my preference.

Last edited:
I just noticed you did not mention caliber.

Look at the Sig 220 and Ruger P90 also. Also the Ruger P 345.

Our Honest Review of the Ruger P345 - Specs + Tests
Ruger-P345.jpg

the S&W 3rd gen and ruger P series are cool pistols but the lack of spare parts and near zero holster availability have made them impractical for actual use. I really wish Ruger had stuck with the P345 type idea with DA/SA something along the lines of a 9mm, 17 rd capacity, decocker only, etc. Then again Ruger has had so many opportunities to make slam-dunks and they blow it.

when Sig released the P227 I was expecting the P220 to get phased out. thankfully Sig has managed to keep the P220 series rolling along in both 45 and 10mm. I'm not sure how many they sell but in my hands it's the least awkward feeling pistol.

So there is the CZ 75, then there are the following (as clones)

Chile: FAMAE FN-750
China: Norinco NZ-75
Czech Republic: CZ-Strakonice CZ-TT
Italy: Renato Gamba G90
Italy: Tanfoglio TZ-75, T-90 and T-95
Israel IMI Jericho 941 and Magnum Research Baby Eagle - These are on sale right now on AIM Surplus
Romania: ROMARM Pistol model 2000
Israel: BUL Cherokee and Storm
North Korea: Baek Du San "백두산권총" (North Korea)
Philippines: Armscor MAP1 and MAPP1
Sudan: Military Industry Corporation Marra and Lado
Switzerland: Sphinx Systems Sphinx 2000, Sphinx 3000 and Sphinx SDP
Switzerland: ITM AT-84 AT-88
Turkey: Sarsılmaz Kılınç 2000 & Armalite AR-24
Turkey: Tristar C-100 & Canik 55 Piranha
United Kingdom: JSL (Hereford) Ltd Spitfire (No longer in business since 1996)
United States: Dornaus & Dixon Bren Ten
United States: Vltor Bren Ten
United States: EAA Witness Elite Gold
United States: Springfield P9

Who knew there were so many copies of this one design....

92 all day long. I install D spring, steel trigger and G conversion kit. nothing better out there. any variant you like. LTT, M9A1, whatever. they're all more similar than different. the biggest difference is holster compatibility. a good example is the 92A1 which is probably my favorite variant except it doesn't share holsters with the other 92's. if the budget allows go for a wilson combat 92G or the LTT elite 92G. i just picked up a 92X centurion and am digging it although the OEM grip panels are too aggressive for AIWB with my gut, so I've gone back to the 92G.

sig P series are wonderful pistols so long as you never shoot them alongside a beretta 92 or CZ 75. I find the P220 to be the least awkward of the sigs probably due to the more forward grip angle of the P220. the CZ 75 full size are great but until CZ builds an alloy frame, something like a P-01 in full size, I find them annoyingly heavy for carry. for some reason I have no issue carrying a 32 oz pistol but once it hits around 38+ oz I start to notice it. the USP/P2000/P30 and PX4 are also winners for me but they haven't done anything better than my 92.

@drgrant

the omega trigger system is considerably simpler design than the original 75. I own both an SP-01 tactical (ie decocker) and a 75 omega in BD (decocker) configuration so have been able to do some comparisons. the omega's DA is nowhere near as smooth although with more rounds it is improving. overall I prefer the older trigger system's feel. while i've never used CGW upgrade parts my understanding is the omega is much less supported by them. further the shape of the triggers are distinct, with the omega being more straight and older style being very hooked which is also my preference.

I have a West German P226 and a CZ P01, and while I prefer the CZ, I still love the Sig. Better trigger and while it has more recoil it's still awesome to shoot.

You can get West German P226s for $600, better deal than $900 for a new one.

I'm not a CZ expert by any means but this is one of my favorite guns to shoot. It just fits my hand so well and it was way way way under your budget, like half. Since you're considering polymer i think it's checks your boxes.77E880E4-BDEA-4F82-B07C-725945121BD9.jpeg 2FF5605B-A70C-42A9-96B1-751433B17179.jpeg

the SP01 tactical is an absolute gem of a pistol. if CZ would build a version with an an aluminum alloy frame it might replace my 92G/M9A1 for carry. the steel frame certainly adds to an incredible shooting experience but the weight limits the "carryability" at least for me. you will freaking love this pistol.

After a good strip down and some google fu, I found the following:
  1. This pistol was manufactured in 2008, and looks to be pretty well used. Not beat on, but definitely has had some rounds put down the pipe. Slide and barrel bluing has some decent wear to it.
  2. During strip and clean, I also found the guide rod (which is a plastic of some sort) to be a little warped.
  3. Left disassembled for now. Ordered new recoil springs (an 11# & a 12#), as well as a stainless steel guide rod and a new set of grips (not a fan of rubber grips)
After those small tweaks, I'll put a few down the pipe, then decide on sights, barrel bushing, trigger, other springs, etc. Also, the trigger is very smooth (almost buttery) as is with a clean break....

cz barrel.jpg

if round count is high would probably replace the trigger return spring and firing pin spring. with dry fire the firing pin retaining pin gets bent. if you're driving it out would examine closely and if warped replace it. I am not a CZ expert and am much more confortable with beretta 92 platform but it seems the CZ pro's do have to stay on top of these pistols.

if round count is high would probably replace the trigger return spring and firing pin spring. with dry fire the firing pin retaining pin gets bent. if you're driving it out would examine closely and if warped replace it. I am not a CZ expert and am much more confortable with beretta 92 platform but it seems the CZ pro's do have to stay on top of these pistols.
While I didn't have "too much of an issue" gunsmithing on my MK4 (trigger and all that Tandemkross stuff) I feel as though messing too much with the internals on this firearm might get me in some trouble.

More research is required on my part.

CGW springs and guide rod came in today. Put the 12 pound recoil spring in. Here's a pic of the bent guide rod:

IMG_20191030_170239.jpg

All cleaned up and waiting on grips

IMG_20191030_170400.jpg

If I get the nerve up, maybe over the winter I'll do a complete cajunize of it.

These things are on my list for the winter.

the bent guide rod is non issue. mine is equally crooked but works fine (laugh it up). it doesnt bear the weight of the spring in that region and once assembled doesnt really keep the spring in place. it mostly just holds it in place when slide is removed. with steel or tungsten guide rods would make darn sure it doesnt bind or damage the front of your slide. there are advantages to polymer when it comes to guide rods.

Back
Top Bottom