Hammer fired SA/DA semi's on a budget (AKA: The CZ 75 Thread)

does anyone have a CZ 75 .22conversion kit? if so how do you enjoy it. debating getting one then getting rid of my sr 22

zero experience w converting a CZ75
in general not a fan of 22 conversions on hammer pistols mostly because the cartridge often doesnt generate enough momentum to reliably cycle a slide and overcome the hammer / mainspring
would much rather find a reliable blowback 22 and stick with it.
can also get steel cases 9mm for 14c per round would rather shoot that in a CZ than rimfire

It’s actually quite an excellent kit. The reviews universally praise it, and in the 500 or so rounds I have through it, I can see why. It is accurate, and has fired everything I’ve put through it. From cheap, bulk HV stuff to the CCI SV stuff I use when I need a little more accuracy. I wanted to have the same platform in .22 for competitions (pin tops) as I do for steel challenge.

does anyone have a CZ 75 .22conversion kit? if so how do you enjoy it. debating getting one then getting rid of my sr 22

Most .22 LR handguns aren't even worth selling used, so "getting rid of your SR22" is kind of a waste of time. Like I have a beat up SW22A in my
safe.... it would literally cost more than the gun is worth for me to sell it. [rofl]

That said, the people I know that got the Kadet and did it right said it was decent....

-Mike

zero experience w converting a CZ75
in general not a fan of 22 conversions on hammer pistols mostly because the cartridge often doesnt generate enough momentum to reliably cycle a slide and overcome the hammer / mainspring
would much rather find a reliable blowback 22 and stick with it.
can also get steel cases 9mm for 14c per round would rather shoot that in a CZ than rimfire

It’s pretty ingenious the way that CZ designed the conversion kit. First off, the fit is REALLY tight. I had to do just a little file work to get it to fit into my frame. They did this on purpose, so that the barrel fits the frame like a dedicated fixed barrel .22 pistol. Second, instead of the entire slide coming back when you fire a round (like a Ruger sr22 or Sig Mosquito, or ALL of the other conversion kits on the market), most of the slide stays in place. Just a small sliver of slide comes back to cock the hammer after every shot. Makes it a bit trickier to grip when you want to charge the gun, but ensures reliable functioning with all sorts of ammo.

20200119054259_IMG_0076.JPG20200119054524_IMG_0082.JPG

Last edited:
It’s actually quite ingenious the way that CZ designed the conversion kit. First off, the fit is REALLY tight. I had to do just a little file work to get it to fit into my frame. They did this on purpose, so that the barrel fits the frame like a dedicated fixed barrel .22 pistol. Second, instead of the entire slide coming back when you fire a round (like a Ruger sr22 or Sig Mosquito, or ALL of the other conversion kits on the market), most of the slide stays in place. Just a small sliver of slide comes back to cock the hammer after every shot. Makes it a bit trickier to grip when you want to charge the gun, but ensures reliable functioning with all sorts of ammo.

I generally really f***ing hate .22 LR and conversions of anything, but if I was going to take a flying leap at one the Kadet would be at the top of my list.

-Mike

Thread resurrection time, because this is what the search yields

SIG P220 in .45 acp- Anyone have one?
How is it out of the box? Decent trigger? Any hangups with the decocker or d.a.?

I need another .45 like I need a hole in the head, but this one seems to check all the boxes for criteria I have.
I'd love a 3-1/2" - 4" version of my 97, but alas...........

How is it out of the box? Decent trigger? Any hangups with the decocker or d.a.?

I need another .45 like I need a hole in the head, but this one seems to check all the boxes for criteria I have.

If you're going to do Sig then do a Legion, you'll generally get a better gun and triggers out of the box for a marginal increase in cost.

I have an old Sig P220 that was made in West Germany. I don't shoot it much and don't know if it's any better than one made here. I have many .45acp handguns and it was my most accurate until Greg Derr worked his magic on my Colt 1911.

It will be fair but won’t have great triggers out of the box.

If you're going to do Sig then do a Legion, you'll generally get a better gun and triggers out of the box for a marginal increase in cost.

Sig P220 is a great gun.
Dry fire the hell out of it when you get it.

So by that, I'm assuming the d.a. is probably like every other d.a. out there.
Not a huge deal, so long as its not like a pre-worked S&W revolver d.a. and clocks in at like 13 lbs.
I'm guessing the Legion moniker is an actual "performance center" upgrade and not just a label.
I should have mentioned this would be for carry. I have plenty other .45's that shoot lights out.
External dimensions seem to be the same as a commander sized cannon, maybe 2/10's of an inch wider.

Theres one of those massive hunting chain stores down in Chattanooga, and it looks like they have a few in stock.
I'll take a ride down tomorrow and handle one, see how it fits.

You have a hacksaw right? Cut the 97 down like a man.

Went down and handled a P220.
It wasn't .45, it was 9 and it wasn't a legion.
I can see why theres a big following for these. It is a nice gun and would probably makes a good quarter or semi race gun. Probably work well for i.d.p.a. with the SIG equivalent of Cajunizing it.
According to the guy behind the counter, the legions don't hang around long and the 9mm is their most popular version. The used ones go quicker.
The legion price tag also puts me in the used Dan Wesson range of things, so theres that. I'm not exactly gentle on things and I have a pretty good idea what a carry gun will look like in 2 years of owning it.
There was a try before you buy option, but I didn't feel like paying for a box of ammo and lane rental.
HK also has a few nice da/sa options, but I think my pursuit of a .45 may be in vain. I could go the commander route, i see theres a few out there with 4" barrels instead of the old industry standard of 4 1/4. I could flint out and get a low budget one and fit an ambi safety to it. I guess in reality I need it to wrk 8 times in a row without failing. Or once.
If I'm limited to 9mm for what I'm looking for, then I'm going to go the CZ route. 75 D compact or P01 compact. Just because I'm familiar with that brand.
First world problems.

could go the commander route, i see theres a few out there with 4" barrels instead of the old industry standard of 4 1/4. I could flint out and get a low budget one and fit an ambi safety to it. I guess in reality I need it to wrk 8 times in a row without failing.
Given a choice, I’d stick with commander length slide and traditional bushing barrel.

Why in the eff do you want an ambi safety? Are you handicapped (aka left-handed)? All an ambi safety does is increase the width of the gun and put a safety lever on the outside of the gun that can get bumped off.

For a game gun where you transfer the gun between hands on the clock, sure ambi safety. But otherwise stick with a single side safety. And don’t buy a low budget 1911.

And a P220 in 9mm? Why? If you want a SIG Pseries in 9mm get a 229, done. If you want a Pseries in 45 ACP, get a P220 and accept the low capacity, But limiting your capacity in a 9mm P220 is just stupid.

Honestly, some of your thought process on this is just incomprehensible. All over the map doesn’t begin to describe you.

Given a choice, I’d stick with commander length slide and traditional bushing barrel.

Why in the eff do you want an ambi safety? Are you handicapped (aka left-handed)? All an ambi safety does is increase the width of the gun and put a safety lever on the outside of the gun that can get bumped off.
Left handed, yes.
A conventionally placed safety would be on the outside of the gun for me. It may increase the width, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't extend past the grip, and commanders (or all 1911's) are pretty narrow to begin with. If it does extend past the vertical grip plane, its not more than 20 thousandths of an inch, at best.
Hence the pursuit of a d.a./sa.
And a P220 in 9mm? Why? If you want a SIG Pseries in 9mm get a 229, done. If you want a Pseries in 45 ACP, get a P220 and accept the low capacity, But limiting your capacity in a 9mm P220 is just stupid.
P220 in 9 was all that was there to be handled.
I'm looking for a .45, there wasn't a p220 in .45 there. In either base model or legion.
Frame dimensions are the same on both sized calibers.
Therefore, one can conclude if a 9 won't work for what I'm looking for, neither will that same platofrm in a different caliber..
Capacity limit isn't an issue, as I said,if I was limited to a d.a./s.a. in 9, then I'm going to go the CZ 75D compact, sp-01 compact or an Omega route. No mag limits down here.
Honestly, some of your thought process on this is just incomprehensible. All over the map doesn’t begin to describe you.
85% of the human population can't handle my thought process that is............ genius.
95% can't interpret my "honed to a razors edge" sarcasm.

Left handed, yes.
A conventionally placed safety would be on the outside of the gun for me. It may increase the width, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't extend past the grip, and commanders (or all 1911's) are pretty narrow to begin with. If it does extend past the vertical grip plane, its not more than 20 thousandths of an inch, at best.
Hence the pursuit of a d.a./sa.

P220 in 9 was all that was there to be handled.
I'm looking for a .45, there wasn't a p220 in .45 there. In either base model or legion.
Frame dimensions are the same on both sized calibers.
Therefore, one can conclude if a 9 won't work for what I'm looking for, neither will that same platofrm in a different caliber..
Capacity limit isn't an issue, as I said,if I was limited to a d.a./s.a. in 9, then I'm going to go the CZ 75D compact, sp-01 compact or an Omega route. No mag limits down here.

85% of the human population can't handle my thought process that is............ genius.
95% can't interpret my "honed to a razors edge" sarcasm.
Stick with the CZ

Went down and handled a P220.
It wasn't .45, it was 9 and it wasn't a legion.
I can see why theres a big following for these. It is a nice gun and would probably makes a good quarter or semi race gun. Probably work well for i.d.p.a. with the SIG equivalent of Cajunizing it.
According to the guy behind the counter, the legions don't hang around long and the 9mm is their most popular version. The used ones go quicker.
The legion price tag also puts me in the used Dan Wesson range of things, so theres that. I'm not exactly gentle on things and I have a pretty good idea what a carry gun will look like in 2 years of owning it.
There was a try before you buy option, but I didn't feel like paying for a box of ammo and lane rental.
HK also has a few nice da/sa options, but I think my pursuit of a .45 may be in vain. I could go the commander route, i see theres a few out there with 4" barrels instead of the old industry standard of 4 1/4. I could flint out and get a low budget one and fit an ambi safety to it. I guess in reality I need it to wrk 8 times in a row without failing. Or once.
If I'm limited to 9mm for what I'm looking for, then I'm going to go the CZ route. 75 D compact or P01 compact. Just because I'm familiar with that brand.
First world problems.

A p220 vs a 1911 is a whole different ballgame.

FWIW as someone who went through all of that and carried like 3 different types of .45s, nobody can convince me in practical terms that anything is really better
than a G30 in my hands. [laugh] Although if you forced me to carry a bigger "metal" .45 it'd be some kind of DW commander 1911 or a Sig P220 german or a newer Legion.

You are so easy, Mike!

Anyhoo, back to reality, I did shoot a RIA 1911 at one of our training days with a GOAL guy who had one. I've shot 1911's before, and sure they are nice. For some reason, this thing just really worked nice for me that particular time. I took 5 shots, all of them in the bullseye. If I ever get some spare change, I am going to find him, and either buy his, or get the exact model info and try to buy the closest thing. It was also a nice looking gun.

Back
Top Bottom