• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hammer fired SA/DA semi's on a budget (AKA: The CZ 75 Thread)

i Really like the cz-75. I think I know what will be my next purchase. I heard they can be a bit difficult to find which may turn out well cause my wallets still hurting from Christmas

Doesn't anybody like the CZ97 ?

I got one recently, 10 shot 45acp. It's BIG,. Soaks up the recoil,. Trigger was horrible, very gritty 7 lbs. A drop in hammer from Cajun Gun works improved it a lot. 4 1/2 pounds, a little spongy though not like a crisp 1911 trigger. It was made for the American market, never sold well. Hard to find in MA,

I got one recently, 10 shot 45acp. It's BIG,. Soaks up the recoil,. Trigger was horrible, very gritty 7 lbs. A drop in hammer from Cajun Gun works improved it a lot. 4 1/2 pounds, a little spongy though not like a crisp 1911 trigger. It was made for the American market, never sold well. Hard to find in MA,

I have a 97 BD and have kept it as a collector piece as a suspect CZ may eventually phase it out. it's a very cool pistol. mine had a nice DA/SA trigger out of the box. did not need any work then again i haven't found many DA/SA's I didn't like. i'm guessing yours maybe have smoothed out just by running the action.

The 97 is too big for my hands.

the grip is a little long as in front-rear dimension although I find it no worse than a G21. ultimately for me the lack of a dustcover rail on the 97 BD rules it out for defensive purposes and has kept in the range toy category. i've never shot the 97 alongside the P220, but every time I take that old school P220 to the range I'm reminded why I dig it so much.

Last edited:

I've fondled one but never shot one before. It fit my large, long fingered hands fairly well. I find myself getting extra thick grip panels made for my other CZ's as they're too thin to fill up my hand. If you have smaller hands and/or shorter fingers I can see the 97 being a problem.

Speaking of 97's, not really compact, but hammer fired and super reliable:
ruger p97 - Google Search

View attachment 320069

you love the P97
i had one some years ago. sold to a fellow NESer. fine pistol but huge for what it accomplishes and parts are no longer really available. ruger's craptastic pivoting ejector design has a tendency to straight up break. holsters are nonexistent. for this genre of single stack DA/SA 45acp I would go with a sig P220 all day long particularly since can be had for under $600 these days. ruger came out with the P345 which had improved grip. if i ever come across one for cheap may buy it for giggles.

Is the P345 hammer or striker? I can't remember right now. That seems like a solid gun, and was and rightly should be the proper replacement for the P97, as you hint at. Just offering options. I wouldn't mind a P345 for a bowling pin gun, or for home protection. Like you said, if it shows up cheap some day somewhere, might make a good thing to pick up. I never had, nor liked the P97, but was just throwing it out there.

Is the P345 hammer or striker? I can't remember right now. That seems like a solid gun, and was and rightly should be the proper replacement for the P97, as you hint at. Just offering options. I wouldn't mind a P345 for a bowling pin gun, or for home protection. Like you said, if it shows up cheap some day somewhere, might make a good thing to pick up. I never had, nor liked the P97, but was just throwing it out there.

hammer
still weird and fugly in usual ruger style

It’s a Christmas miracle!

Not under the tree for me, but bought myself on Christmas Eve with my drivers license (IN LTC app is in process) in ftf transaction with a guy from Ft. Wayne.

I had held off buying a pistol here for a few weeks because I didn’t know all I needed was my drivers license...now it’s game on!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Big CZ fan here. I have 5 different models, including the Shadow 2 which I love. Recently a friend of mine got a 75 Tactical Sport Orange.
It's a spectacular gun and now I'm tempted. But do I need a Tactical Sport in addition to the Shadow 2? Are the differences that significant?
Comments welcome. Thank you.

I have the Tactical Sport and I'm tempted to buy the Shadow 2. The "orange gun" is wonderful but just want the blue grip gun too.

hammer ... still weird and fugly in usual ruger style

"The gun is notoriously reliable, ... able to shoot at any angle and handle a variety of both handloaded and factory ammo without any sort of malfunction or misfire. ... At the end of the day, there is not much to complain about when it comes to the system."

Sounds good to me.

And I would NOT call this one "fugly", except for the front rail thingy, which can be filed off.

Ruger-P345.jpg

Last edited:
I finally bought a CZ75 and like it. It reminds me of a Browning Hi-Power which is another great choice. There are surplus P38s around. My WWII P38 is a great shooter.

I'm close to putting in a "w.t.b. a used one" in that section of the website.

I've fondled one but never shot one before. It fit my large, long fingered hands fairly well. I find myself getting extra thick grip panels made for my other CZ's as they're too thin to fill up my hand. If you have smaller hands and/or shorter fingers I can see the 97 being a problem.

We suffer from the same affliction I see.
A set of extra-fat LOK palmswells did the trick for me (Shadow Target 2)
I cried a bit on the inside when I had something without X frame grips that fit really well.

@timbo aside from being a nicer pistol, the CZ 75 compact will hold its value far better than an SP2022. aftermarket for the CZ will allow one to mod it up however they like. I find it a darn shame that Sig abandoned a polymer hammer fired pistol. many of us TDA fans like the SP2022. unfortunately sig is obviously not committed to the platform.

They're not committed to it as it was a sort of stupid idea. It would have been less stupid if they were mag compatible with the p228 or p226. The problem is it was marketed as a DA SA for skinflints, but it had to compete with a lot of capable trash floating around in that part of the market.

They're not committed to it as it was a sort of stupid idea. It would have been less stupid if they were mag compatible with the p228 or p226. The problem is it was marketed as a DA SA for skinflints, but it had to compete with a lot of capable trash floating around in that part of the market.
Hammer fired pistols should be metal. At least, that's what I believe.....

"The gun is notoriously reliable, ... able to shoot at any angle and handle a variety of both handloaded and factory ammo without any sort of malfunction or misfire. ... At the end of the day, there is not much to complain about when it comes to the system."

Sounds good to me.

And I would NOT call this one "fugly", except for the front rail thingy, which can be filed off.

Ruger-P345.jpg

Unless they changed it, mag safety, epic fail. Weird mags nobody sells don't help either. Retarded high bore axis. IMO p345 is firmly in the "only buy if destitute and the other option is a hi point. " Bunch of guys had these on pin shoot circuit, they mostly worked but but were best described as "meh".

Yeah, that was another problem for them, but that was something Sig created- nobody's buying a pro if a p228/229/226 is around. Not to mention used guns.... whose buying a pro when theres probably a used P229 on the shelf 3 feet away from it....

Sounds like the three bears. This porridge is too hot. This porridge is too cold. This porridge is just right!

Just right is the Sig 229. I have all three Sigs and fully agree with your assessment. But the 229 is in the middle and so comfortable to shoot.

:)

CZ75. I hate slide mounted decockers. I had a SIG P226 and P239. Neither worked for me. I the P239 felt top heavy. The P226 felt like a brick in my hand.

Sounds like the three bears. This porridge is too hot. This porridge is too cold. This porridge is just right!

Just right is the Sig 229. I have all three Sigs and fully agree with your assessment. But the 229 is in the middle and so comfortable to shoot.

:)
You know, it's been a long ass time since I've held a Sig P229 (my service side arm was the P229R-DAK in fohtay), but I don't think I've held one since 2010.

I’ve had this thing for what feels like forever now and I highly recommend that anyone who wants a Beretta, find the variant with the dovetailed front sights.
92FS Vertec, this has the G-Decocker and D spring/Metal trigger replacement that I did myself.
Had the guys at Northeast Arms swap in a pair of Trijicon HDs, highly recommended.
I don’t have the hogues on it anymore, went back to the black plastic.
I love my heavy hottie 😍
832F054B-5311-452F-B6E2-91AB3804AB6C.jpeg

have you shot a PX4 in 9mm? i have a sneaking suspicion would float your boat. if beretta had built the pistol to run 92 mags i think it would be 100x more popular. theres a reason you barely see them on used market. stupid smooth trigger and cycling. as @DarthRevan notes above G conversion on any beretta solves the thumb safety issue and on a PX4 you dont even need conversion kit just remove a detent and spring. if beretta would make a 4.5” barrel PX4 with a little more grip texture to me would be the bestest TDA ever.

does anyone have a CZ 75 .22conversion kit? if so how do you enjoy it. debating getting one then getting rid of my sr 22

Back
Top Bottom