Hammer fired SA/DA semi's on a budget (AKA: The CZ 75 Thread)

I could probably go higher on my budget, but $800 is a "safe" start point.

I’m still voting SP-01.

Add in $50-300 in upgrades and you have a poor mans shadow 2. $120 of that is sights, $60 on grips. The rest springs.

If you get frisky, add a hammer and a trigger.

I’ve shot/own a lot of stuff and while I’m an opinionated SOB. I fully and humbly concede to a well tuned DA/SA and will still argue against them lol.

Tristar 100 series (compact) or 120 series (full size). Lower cost than CZ, but a CZ clone made in Turkey and better made than the original CZs You have to go to a Shadow 2 to get a better gun out of CZ than the Tristar (they are the importer, made by Canik)

Not on your list, but gen 3 S&W. Lots of pre-bans available. Cheaper than any of the guns you mentioned (you did say budget)

Cz - tanfos are very nice but require a lot of polishing and federal primers if fully tuned for competition, also if you are using a hammer fired cz/ tanfo for uspsa you most likely would be shooting production and can not start cocked and locked, you must start hammer down. ( if you don,t feel comfortable manually dropping the hammer, the decock version is an option and they can be tuned up nicely as mentioned earlier in the post ) It is rare to see a hammer fired sig in a Uspsa competition, the X5 is very common.

A CZ shadow is perferred over the basic version for competition because it doesn't come with the firing pin block which results in a nicer trigger when tuned. The shadow 2 is great for uspsa but I think it may be to heavy for IDPA which is something to keep in mind as you may find you prefer one game over the other once you try them

If your bullseye league is like the 22 leagues and you shoot one handed keep an eye on the weight of whatever your looking at

A CZ shadow is perferred over the basic version for competition because it doesn't come with the firing pin block which results in a nicer trigger when tuned. The shadow 2 is great for uspsa but I think it may be to heavy for IDPA which is something to keep in mind as you may find you prefer one game over the other once you try them
Yes, the Shadow 2 is too heavy for IDPA. SP01 is better choice as it is lighter. They make a lot of Custom Shop versions of the SP01 like the SP01 Shadow and SP01 Shadow Target II, etc. All SP01 based customized. All outside the "on a budget"

CZ if your not on an $800 budget. Paid more than 8 for mine, but won't use anything else for production.
Shadow target 2 i picked up "used". Has a thumb safety but I'm told I can switch to decocker if I had to.

Beretta was an option when I was looking, under $800, but the decocker was something I didn't care for.
FNH was another one, but pricey, and it had a decocker.

Side note-
Beware the games that require you to start hammer down without a decocker.
I d.q'd 4 people over the summer for an n/d when they were trying to pinch the hammer.
I had given them the option to use the thumb safety, so it was all on them.

CZ if your not on an $800 budget. Paid more than 8 for mine, but won't use anything else for production.
Shadow target 2 i picked up "used". Has a thumb safety but I'm told I can switch to decocker if I had to.

Beretta was an option when I was looking, under $800, but the decocker was something I didn't care for.
FNH was another one, but pricey, and it had a decocker.

Side note-
I d.q'd 4 people over the summer for an n/d when they were trying to pinch the hammer.
I'm in NH. A CZ 75 SP-01 range from $589 up - and When I go to Merrimack Firearms, it's usually a better deal than what he has posted on the site for ordering....

Merrimack Firearms |

Side note-

Lots of folks use a CZ or Tanfo in USPSA and lower the hammer down by hand. I do with my Shadow 2. It is easy to do so without having an ND, but you do have to pay attention. If you let your mind wander or do it automatically then yes you can have an ND.

CZ.
Still looking for someone that has a CZ75 PCR in stock locally.
My Shadow 2 is my favorite pistol of all time.
When was the last time you were in 619 DW? They had a couple of CZs at a great price point.

I think tomorrow after me and the BiL hit the range, I'll swing by there and Merrimack and take a gander and fondle some metal.

When was the last time you were in 619 DW? They had a couple of CZs at a great price point.

I think tomorrow after me and the BiL hit the range, I'll swing by there and Merrimack and take a gander and fondle some metal.
Maybe a month ago or so. I was helping a friend look at AKs and Mosins, though, not really paying close attention.

The same day we hit Shooters in Hooksett. They had a bunch of CZs, but no PCR. Maybe I'll email 619 and see. Probably want to sell my Glock 19 first.

CZ.
Still looking for someone that has a CZ75 PCR in stock locally.
My Shadow 2 is my favorite pistol of all time.

The challenge with all metal CZs is the supply chain. While the polymer ones are made in the US and can feed the US supply chain (distributor/dealer/you) easily, the metal ones seem to all be made in Czech republic and imported. Based on the pattern of availability at distributors, it appears they make lots of a single model and then ship. So all the distributors get the same models in at the same time. They never make enough of anything except possibly the base 75 (B, BD) and SP01 (base and tactical). All the other models are essentially always out of stock at distributors 1-2 days after they get a shipment.

Also, other than the couple models I listed above, the distributors tend to put all the other models (compact, PCR, Shadow II, etc) on allocation. This means that distributor account reps are allocated guns and can then sell to their dealer accounts however they choose. Lipseys gets 50 Shadow 2s in, they give 1 to their 43 account reps and randomly distribute the remaining 7 giving 2 to 7 reps. The reps then give to whoever they want.

So this adds up to shops only have models if they can get their reps to give them to them. Do enough volume, then they will make the rare stuff available.

The PCR is a hard one to get. The Shadow 2 is actually easier (blue grips and grey, the new orange is another story) to get than the PCR in my experience.

The challenge with all metal CZs is the supply chain. While the polymer ones are made in the US and can feed the US supply chain (distributor/dealer/you) easily, the metal ones seem to all be made in Czech republic and imported. Based on the pattern of availability at distributors, it appears they make lots of a single model and then ship. So all the distributors get the same models in at the same time. They never make enough of anything except possibly the base 75 (B, BD) and SP01 (base and tactical). All the other models are essentially always out of stock at distributors 1-2 days after they get a shipment.

Also, other than the couple models I listed above, the distributors tend to put all the other models (compact, PCR, Shadow II, etc) on allocation. This means that distributor account reps are allocated guns and can then sell to their dealer accounts however they choose. Lipseys gets 50 Shadow 2s in, they give 1 to their 43 account reps and randomly distribute the remaining 7 giving 2 to 7 reps. The reps then give to whoever they want.

So this adds up to shops only have models if they can get their reps to give them to them. Do enough volume, then they will make the rare stuff available.

The PCR is a hard one to get. The Shadow 2 is actually easier (blue grips and grey, the new orange is another story) to get than the PCR in my experience.
I know of two online vendors that get PCRs fairly regularly (I get in stock notices). For a "carry gun" in particular, it's something I'd really like to handle or try first. I tend to prefer hammer fired guns and I really like my Shadow 2 so I was hoping that the PCR would be an improvement for me. I'd consider the CZ75 Compact but as a lefty, the decocker is better for me than a one-sided safety, which I will never use, thus the plan for the PCR. It's also a tad lighter since it's alloy and not steel.

Makes sense that a lot of dealers wouldn't have them per their distribution model as you noted.

I know of two online vendors that get PCRs fairly regularly (I get in stock notices). For a "carry gun" in particular, it's something I'd really like to handle or try first. I tend to prefer hammer fired guns and I really like my Shadow 2 so I was hoping that the PCR would be an improvement for me. I'd consider the CZ75 Compact but as a lefty, the decocker is better for me than a one-sided safety, which I will never use, thus the plan for the PCR. It's also a tad lighter since it's alloy and not steel.

Makes sense that a lot of dealers wouldn't have them per their distribution model as you noted.

I just looked at Lipseys (biggest US distributor). They have the PCR in stock, 10rd model. They don't have the 14rd model in stock which is what you would want in a free state.

I have a box of 14rd CZ compact magazines. If you got your local dealer to order the 10rd model, I would swap 10rders for 14rders for you.

I just looked at Lipseys (biggest US distributor). They have the PCR in stock, 10rd model. They don't have the 14rd model in stock which is what you would want in a free state.

I have a box of 14rd CZ compact magazines. If you got your local dealer to order the 10rd model, I would swap 10rders for 14rders for you.
Was just looking that information up and you beat me to it.
But yeah, can't go wrong with the SP-01. Great gun as is until you can afford to send it to Cajun or do the work yourself with their kit. I also really like the Beretta 92 Elite LTT that's out now, been having a lot of fun with that. That's also a little out of range quoted though. I'm not a huge fan of the standard 92 Safety/decocker, but am perfectly happy with a slide decocker only.
As drgrant said I'm basically in the camp of either old Sig P-series or if new legion because the price gap to a new one and a legion is minimal really.

The P10 gets some love. I have not shot one. But reports are good on the trigger.

I have a highly modified (but idpa legal Glock 17) and supposedly the p10 has a better trigger stock.

I’m still sticking with the SP-01 as an overall gun.

I’m still a SAO fan. I’ll argue at length as to why. BUT try as I might I can’t argue against a CZ.

The whole “drop the hammer”, “soft primers” etc. mine has been great. Love the option of cocked and locked.

I’m the de-cocker. lol.

you can buy one cheap <$600. Add in a few over the time upgrades and you’ll be fine. I doubt I’m into mine for $900 and I’m in MA.

Plus you can shoot it in most divisions, idpa, uspsa, steel, three gun. Etc.

Mags in a free state are cheap (MecGar).

The P10 gets some love. I have not shot one. But reports are good on the trigger.

I have a highly modified (but idpa legal Glock 17) and supposedly the p10 has a better trigger stock.

I’m still sticking with the SP-01 as an overall gun.

I’m still a SAO fan. I’ll argue at length as to why. BUT try as I might I can’t argue against a CZ.

The whole “drop the hammer”, “soft primers” etc. mine has been great. Love the option of cocked and locked.

I’m the de-cocker. lol.

you can buy one cheap <$600. Add in a few over the time upgrades and you’ll be fine. I doubt I’m into mine for $900 and I’m in MA.

Plus you can shoot it in most divisions, idpa, uspsa, steel, three gun. Etc.

Mags in a free state are cheap (MecGar).
I'm on the train. But since I changed the title, I figured I would add the polymer frames....

I'm on the train. But since I changed the title, I figured I would add the polymer frames....

If polymer is really on you list. Go with a P10 or G17/19.

I have a HK VP9, 2 G17’s, G19, G41, Walther P99, SIG 226 (legion SAO) etc.

Been shooting for over 40 years. Swapped out most things. Hated Glock. Back to Glock. 1911’s etc.

I’m an engineer, CZ’s are unrefined. But solid. A few tweaks and they are great.

Trust me, this being NES, I’d not give an option unless I could back it.

If polymer is really on you list. Go with a P10 or G17/19.

I have a HK VP9, 2 G17’s, G19, G41, Walther P99, SIG 226 (legion SAO) etc.

Been shooting for over 40 years. Swapped out most things. Hated Glock. Back to Glock. 1911’s etc.

I’m an engineer, CZ’s are unrefined. But solid. A few tweaks and they are great.

Trust me, this being NES, I’d not give an option unless I could back it.
I'm tracking. Just throwing it out there. Has to be DA/SA, hammer fired. No Glock, no 1911.

And to your original point of adjustable sights, I have a few with them. Can’t remember the last time I adjusted them. So not and issue

And as to your wanting optics ready, I sold a great G19 3rd gen to get a 4th gen MOS. Added a Trigicon RMR and I hate it. If I look at on paper that should be perfect. But nope.

I do want to add an optic to my CZ TSO. So I’m not anti optic.

It’s just everything “depends”.

And to your original point of adjustable sights, I have a few with them. Can’t remember the last time I adjusted them. So not and issue

And as to your wanting optics ready, I sold a great G19 3rd gen to get a 4th gen MOS. Added a Trigicon RMR and I hate it. If I look at on paper that should be perfect. But nope.

I do want to add an optic to my CZ TSO. So I’m not anti optic.

It’s just everything “depends”.
Yeah, honestly, red dots screw with my aim eye (stigmatism). Adjustable sights as an option is a bonus. But honestly, I like to be able to tune it to my poa....

Yeah, honestly, red dots screw with my aim eye (stigmatism). Adjustable sights as an option is a bonus. But honestly, I like to be able to tune it to my poa....

I have astigmatism also. I love red dots on my rifles.

One reason I like to do uspsa, idpa, 3-gun etc and with different guns is that I WANT to not rely on a single platform, I want to “work through a problem”.

Give me a gun, no bang. Work the issue. Make it go bang.

Skip the red dot. If it’s right or left (point of aim) see if it’s you. If not, fix the sights and work on your elevation/holdover.

Swear most off my misses are due to distance/elevation.

Skip the red dot. If it’s right or left (point of aim) see if it’s you. If not, fix the sights and work on your elevation/holdover.

Swear most off my misses are due to distance/elevation.

Attachments

• 189DF6A4-AC29-405A-9698-38E2A8CD95FD.jpeg
    189DF6A4-AC29-405A-9698-38E2A8CD95FD.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom