Hamilton MA green or red?

Dcdr

NES Member
I’m having trouble figuring out if Hamilton MA is considered a red or green town for unrestricted ltc’s. The info I have read is conflicting and may be outdated. Has anyone recently applied in Hamilton? I’ve never had an LTC but had an FID issued from another town that has since expired. I have nothing on my record that would disqualify me from an LTC. Any help would be appreciated!

Do you already live there? Have you been in to apply? Who is the licensing officer these days
Taken a class yet?
The Chief is from out of town, former Ct trooper, from his bio.

I graduated HS with 2 of the Sgts and the Lt.
Havent seem them since, but good people. Townies. Used to shoot archery practice on the soccer field after school with the Lt. Wouldnt surprise me if he was the firearms lic. Officer.

I have checked the town list and it seems there’s still inconsistent info with Hamilton. I do live in Hamilton, don’t know who the licensing officer is, and have not applied yet. Honestly if they’re only gonna issue for target shooting then I’d might as well save my money an rent a gun at a range

I have checked the town list and it seems there’s still inconsistent info with Hamilton. I do live in Hamilton, don’t know who the licensing officer is, and have not applied yet. Honestly if they’re only gonna issue for target shooting then I’d might as well save my money an rent a gun at a range

Do some digging and see if you can find the Comm2A licensing by town thing, at a glance it will tell you how many licenses they issue, etc. I really doubt that they still
restrict, but it's worth double checking. There are really only a dozen so total douche towns left in MA. Springfield, Brookline, Boston, Cambridge, Watertown, possibly Medford and a
few others. Do you have your BFS cert yet?

-Mike

This may seem a little harsh but have you even talked with anyone at the police station? Sometimes a phone call or even a drop in might be worth your time. Any local gun shops that you can visit and get input from them?

This may seem a little harsh but have you even talked with anyone at the police station? Sometimes a phone call or even a drop in might be worth your time. Any local gun shops that you can visit and get input from them?
I have not but I am going to drop by today after work and speak with them. I have not taken a class yet. My reason for trying to find this out beforehand is that some towns (like Lowell) require a bunch of other stuff with the application, including a more advanced class. I didn’t want to take a class only to find out that Hamilton is strict and wants a different course. And figured I’d ask around here to hear of other’s experiences to have an idea of what I’m walking in to.

The Hamilton-Wenham Rod and Gun Club meets on January 21, 7:30 pm, at the American Legion hall on School Street. You will find some fine folks who may be able to answer your questions. You do know that Hamilton has the high honor of having more horses asses than horses don't you?

Thanks for all the replies guys, ya I just saw that comm2a list from 2017 and looks like just 1 was issued with restrictions. Should be good to go

For OP, this is the data you seek: 2017 LTC Scorecard.pdf

According to that (and yes 2017 is the last year for which we have compiled data), Hamilton did issue some restricted LTCs but only a small percentage, so it should be fine.

There are really only a dozen so total douche towns left in MA. Springfield, Brookline, Boston, Cambridge, Watertown, possibly Medford

What do you mean by possibly in regards to Medford? Have you heard anything change here? We got a new CoP a couple of months ago but not sure if the policy Medford has historically had (restrict new LTCs by default, lift restriction on 1st renewal) changed with the new chief. I'm about halfway through my LTC's lifetime. Getting unrestricted early would be a dream.

For OP, this is the data you seek: 2017 LTC Scorecard.pdf

According to that (and yes 2017 is the last year for which we have compiled data), Hamilton did issue some restricted LTCs but only a small percentage, so it should be fine.

What do you mean by possibly in regards to Medford? Have you heard anything change here? We got a new CoP a couple of months ago but not sure if the policy Medford has historically had (restrict new LTCs by default, lift restriction on 1st renewal) changed with the new chief. I'm about halfway through my LTC's lifetime. Getting unrestricted early would be a dream.
Make an app't for a sit down with the COP. Jack.

The Hamilton-Wenham Rod and Gun Club meets on January 21, 7:30 pm, at the American Legion hall on School Street. You will find some fine folks who may be able to answer your questions. You do know that Hamilton has the high honor of having more horses asses than horses don't you?

^ This, great club.

And they offer the required ltc class

Figured I’d give this an update... just received my LTC no restrictions today (3/26) from Hamilton PD. My interview was on Jan 20 and couldn’t have been more pleasant. The sergeant who is the licensing officer is a really nice guy and didn’t have an attitude or ask me stupid questions like “why do you want a gun?” He approved and submitted my application to the Firearms Records Bureau on Feb 27, and I got the LTC in the mail today. He also accepted my Hunter Ed course that I took in 2001 when I was 16 as acceptable training. From what I understand some PD’s want a handgun specific class, even though MA law says hunter Ed is acceptable. All in all the process was pleasant, and I can’t see why Hamilton shouldn’t be considered a green town now. Going to my dad’s house tomorrow morning so he can give me a Smith & Wesson Airweight .38 special (model 637). Excited to finally exercise my right to carry and join the shooting community. 🇺🇸

Figured I’d give this an update... just received my LTC no restrictions today (3/26) from Hamilton PD. My interview was on Jan 20 and couldn’t have been more pleasant. The sergeant who is the licensing officer is a really nice guy and didn’t have an attitude or ask me stupid questions like “why do you want a gun?” He approved and submitted my application to the Firearms Records Bureau on Feb 27, and I got the LTC in the mail today. He also accepted my Hunter Ed course that I took in 2001 when I was 16 as acceptable training. From what I understand some PD’s want a handgun specific class, even though MA law says hunter Ed is acceptable. All in all the process was pleasant, and I can’t see why Hamilton shouldn’t be considered a green town now. Going to my dad’s house tomorrow morning so he can give me a Smith & Wesson Airweight .38 special (model 637). Excited to finally exercise my right to carry and join the shooting community. 🇺🇸
Congratulations on your LTC.
Sometimes you've got to overcome your trepidation's and grab the bull by the horns.
Make sure if/ when your dad "gives" you the Airweight, that you go through the proper steps, and either EFA10, or dealer transfer it!
Oh, and when you have a spare $21.00, GO GREEN!!!

I think a lot of people over think this and think they are going to be grilled like a police interrogation. The first time I applied in Franklin we talked about the loss of hunting areas in the region and discussed local stuff, hand shake and it was done. I'm sure in some towns that do have a**hats for licensing officers, it is tough but go in with an open mind.

Figured I’d give this an update... just received my LTC no restrictions today (3/26) from Hamilton PD. My interview was on Jan 20 and couldn’t have been more pleasant. The sergeant who is the licensing officer is a really nice guy and didn’t have an attitude or ask me stupid questions like “why do you want a gun?”
Thanks for the update and glad to hear you had the same extremely positive experience both my wife and I have had.

Back
Top Bottom