Ham operators attending the Rolling Rally

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Looking for people with 2-meter/440 mobile equipment that can help in the running of the Roll With GOAL event.

I'm trying to provide every vehicle business radios to keep the group informed, but we need longer range comms to deal with things like accidents, breakdowns, etc.

If you are interested and are registered to attend, PM me.

Thanks,

Chris

Does anyone have the ability to stream their radio output?

That way anyone with a smartphone could listen to the stream without needing a radio.

BTW, I'll bring my UV-5R. KB1ZVD

Without being on a repeater, this would be pretty difficult given the nature of VHF. If someone living along the route has a base station with a nice antenna, they could stream it over EchoLink, but you need to be a ham to install the software on a smartphone. Broadcastify is an option I suppose.

Without being on a repeater, this would be pretty difficult given the nature of VHF. If someone living along the route has a base station with a nice antenna, they could stream it over EchoLink, but you need to be a ham to install the software on a smartphone. Broadcastify is an option I suppose.

I'm thinking of someone in the middle of the procession with a radio/scanner and a smartphone. All you would need (so says the idiot who knows nothing) is a cable to go from the output of the radio/scanner to the mic jack on the smartphone, and a streaming app on the smartphone (periscope, facebook live).

My best guess is the procession will be about five miles long. Estimate 200 cars traveling 40mph, with an 80 foot gap between each 20 foot car. 100 feet per car, or 20,000 feet total. That's under five miles total. Someone in the middle is 2.5 miles from each end.

Not a ham but plan on listening on a uv5r during the ride. Will the stock radio antenna work inside the car?
Amazon has a magnetic mount antenna and the required female/female adapter for the uv5r. prime shipping could likely get it here by friday

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not a ham but plan on listening on a uv5r during the ride. Will the stock radio antenna work inside the car?

Depends how far you are from the other stations and if you have the stock rubber duck antenna. If you do, I wouldn't count on hearing much. I bought the Diamond 770 and it was better. I used two of these (UV82)s out in NV with those antennas. Got about 3 miles coverage. A bit less when we were in the cars. The Mag Mount IS the best option. Uses the roof as a good ground plane which drastically helps the performance of the antenna and radio. Hell, a lot of hams use a cookie sheet with a Mag Mount as a portable solution. [grin]

I'm not sure it's significantly different from the UV-5R. Maybe the "Upgraded chip" improves the user interface a bit (maybe).

The 3 power settings aren't anything to get excited about. You know how signal reports are given in "S" units where S-1 is weak and S-9 is really strong? Each S unit is a 4:1 change, so an S-7 signal is 16 times weaker than an S-9. This means the difference between 5Watts and 8Watts is almost undetectable.

how about this one? The hand helds didn't have good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GGZJ6N4/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
I've never seen that one before, but there's new stuff coming out all the time.
Which hand helds. The UV-5R has great reviews. I have one and like it as much as my $160 Yaesu hand held. The UV-5R isn't a top quality radio, but it works and has great battery life. You can get better features for more $, but you can't beat the value.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YMN0SCG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never seen that one before, but there's new stuff coming out all the time.
Which hand helds. The UV-5R has great reviews. I have one and like it as much as my $160 Yaesu hand held. The UV-5R isn't a top quality radio, but it works and has great battery life. You can get better features for more $, but you can't beat the value.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YMN0SCG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for your insight and advice...it is very much appreciated.

I will be video taping the procession from an overpass (either rt 30 or rt 117) and will bring along my radio. Will people be using the Waltham repeater once in range? It would be good to know the relative location of the head of the column so I don't get caught unprepared...

Repeater coverage will be one of the topics this evening at the planning meeting 6PM at GOAL HQ in Northborough.

Obviously the broadest coverage without having to change frequencies would be desirable, so limited changes, linked machines, topics to firm up.

I think Chris is going to be telephoning in from a remote location so I may be the only ham physically there.

I encourage, and personally would appreciate the attendance of any other hams, this is truthfully an ad hoc plan that is still coming together any support is welcome.

Back
Top Bottom