• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ham classes?

Does anyone know of Ham classes in the North Shore area? I searched ARRL but no responses. I would like to take the license exam (Tech) next month. I have the research materials and apps to study but I was thinking a hands-on would be great too.

The Cape Ann club (www.caara.net) gives a Tech-in-a-Day class twice a year, but they just held one a few weeks ago so the next one will be in about 5 months. Basically it's a 1 day cram session where you walk out at 5:00 a little tired buy having passed your Technician test.

A bunch of NESers got their tickets at that 2 years ago. Lots of info in this thread.

You can easily do it on your own. Buy the ARRL study book and grind through the practice tests at QRZ.com . When you are passing the practice tests 90% of the time you are ready. Most clubs, including the Cape Ann one, hold monthly test sessions. Just walk in with $15 (all of which goes to the FCC) and take the test.

As you probably know, once you pass the tech, take the General while you're there. It's free. Even if you don't pass, it is good practice.

What do you want too accomplish? I studied for probably 8 or so hours and passed all 3 exams at once. Now do I know everything that I should? Nope, I actually took practice test the other day for Extra and got a 38%. I do however know what I need to know to get on the air.

I felt that if I passed all the tests first I could take my time and actually learn the stuff because even in a lifetime you won't be close to knowing everything.

My method was that I found some websites had the question pools with only the right answers. I read through the Tech pool first 1 time then took the practice tests for a while. Then I read the General pool 1 time and took that practice test for a while then took both tech and general practice tests.

Finally I read the Extra pool once and did that practice test a bunch then practiced all 3 until I took the test.

If you're confident, start looking at the General questions. If you pass the Tech test it costs nothing to take the General test right then. It's not uncommon for someone to pass both and go from nothing to General in one sitting. And, if you fail either by just a little bit you can pay $15 and try again right there. You'll get a different, and possibly more favorable, set of questions. Yeah, the FCC's rules don't make sense. If you pass you can take the next test free, but it you fail you have to pay to re-test.

I got mine last year or year before and the cost was $0 . FCC rules state they can only charge up to $15 and whatever you charge first person for year you have to charge everyone else.

Agreed though that they let you keep testing until fail for free if the place charges.

I just browsed around the website (caara.net) and it looks like it's not scheduled. The last one was in October, so I'm guessing the next will be around April.

Nashua Amateur Radio Club is forming a Tech class:

7 Weeks Starting May 9th 8:30A to 1:00P

The class will cost $35 which includes a copy of the ARRL Technician HAM radio Licensing Manual and a printed copy of the course materials. Pre-registration is required. We will be teaching using the ARRL lesson plan which includes demos and video material to make the class interesting and a great learning experience for new HAMs. We will hold a License testing session at the end of the course so that folks can earn their Technician License.

Back
Top Bottom