• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Had an interesting USPS/LTC experience

They were technically within their rights to decline your LTC as ID. The state does indeed issue a "State ID card" for those who choose not to (or cannot) obtain State driver's licenses. In other words, that form is referring to a specific card. While your LTC is a State-issued card that should validate your ID, it is not a "State ID card".
My wife doesn't drive anymore so she got a ID card issued by the RMV looks like a driver's license but says I believe "not a driver's license" BTW I've used my LTC for ID on many occasions and nary a complaint

Not to throw gasoline on the fire but when using this logic, why would "Drivers License" be listed separately?

Because the lists are prepared for (and quite possibly, by) the Lowest Common Denominator and are designed to minimize any actual thought processes.

Hence the problem encountered by the OP. Heck, I had a TSA twit whine "Don't you have a license" when I showed her my LTC.

NOTE: I do NOT play this game when I actually AM carrying. It is usually reserved for use in airports when my wife isn't with me. [wink]

Not merely wrong, but oxymoronic. Read the stated criteria:

As the state IS a government, any card issued by it and specifically identifying the holder is "government ID." As an LTC specifically identifies the holder and is issued by the commonwealth, it is both "government ID" and a "state issued ID card."

The rejection was the act of an ignorant flunky and should have been challenged accordingly - not excused by inane rationalizations.

My first time Scrivener'd! *blush*

This is probably a semantics argument...but then what is law but a semantics argument, eh? [wink]

The "state ID" does exist, and possibly the form refers to this, and possibly it refers to any state-issued ID. I would not bet on the grammatical precision of the person who wrote the form. But yeah, as written, it means *any* state issued ID. But I hold out that they meant the state ID card and just wrote it poorly.

NOTE: I do NOT play this game when I actually AM carrying. It is usually reserved for use in airports when my wife isn't with me. [wink]
My G-d... What is the world coming to? SCRIVENER showing signs of discretion! (or being whipped... [devil])
My first time Scrivener'd! *blush*
Yeah, that's an easy club to join. [smile]

Its a GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID!

I ONLY use my LTC as ID at the airport and I fly about once per month for business. Just two days ago I was at the Minneappolis airport and went through the process some foolishly call "security".
The first person I encounter is a woman sitting on a stool looking bored. (I don't know where she got such a tan in the middle of winter but she sure was darker than any other person I had seen in MN [shocked] )

I hand her my boarding pass and MA LTC. After looking at my ID with an expression of confusion for a few moments, turning it over in her hand, she looks up at me and says in broken english "Do you have a drivers license"?
I looked her straight in the face and replied, "I'm FLYING, not DRIVING!"
Her reply was somthing to the effect of "We usually see D/L or passports."
I had to explain to her that what she was looking at was a GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID which was what was required. The fact that it is a much harder to get ID didn't seem to register with her. [rolleyes] She quickly gave up trying to understand the situation and simply waved me through. [frown]

What can we expect? As my father taught me many years ago, "You pay peanuts, you hire monkeys" [rolleyes] Just don't try to convince me that these facades do anything to enhance my safety while traveling. [angry]

One has a choice in the airport line - stand out like a turd in a punchbowl or get lost in a crowd of one. I choose the later, however, it is sometimes difficult to resist the temptation to politely say "I trust you'll find my papers to be in order."

Scriv-you're more discreet than I. I use my LTC for ID-especially when I'm carrying. Obviously that doesn't apply in the airport. But it's the only ID I present. DL stays in the car.

Scriv-you're more discreet than I. I use my LTC for ID-especially when I'm carrying. Obviously that doesn't apply in the airport. But it's the only ID I present. DL stays in the car.

I believe in CONCEALED carry. As presenting an LTC often triggers the question "Do you have a gun on you now," I NEVER use an LTC for ID when carrying.

Again, it's called "concealed carry" for a reason. [wink]

Concealed means just that.

True enough about the concealed part.

The LTC as an ID allows me to see that type of person I'm dealing with.
1. Understands what the ID means it real terms.
2. Clueless drone.

BTW Rob? Did you just call me a turd? [laugh]

A few months ago I was trying to serve a business owner some legal papers. I had already tried 2 business addresses that I had been given by the client, but he had folded operations and moved on. Next I try his house and the man who came to the door didn't fit the vague description I had been given.

He claims to have bought the house some 5 months earlier, so I asked for ID and he shows me his LTC. He was good as far as I was concerned. Regrettably I didn't invite him to check out a gun club or two (he had moved from Boston to Mansfield).

As presenting an LTC often triggers the question "Do you have a gun on you now,"
I like the Chris Tavares answer which does something like: "Sir, that is a very impolite question, not unlike asking a woman how much she weighs" or, one I header elsewhere "Sir, I will not discuss my security procedures with you."

I ONLY use my LTC as ID at the airport and I fly about once per month for business. Just two days ago I was at the Minneappolis airport and went through the process some foolishly call "security".
The first person I encounter is a woman sitting on a stool looking bored. (I don't know where she got such a tan in the middle of winter but she sure was darker than any other person I had seen in MN [shocked] )

I must admit I am completely baffled at what purpose these people serve. Every airport has them, but I don't know why. I show them my boarding pass and ID and they say "Line on the left or line on the right" and that's it. Then I do my TSA strip tease and hand the same documents to the TSA person in front of the metal detector. They generally at least look a little bit more, uh, intelligent.

I hand her my boarding pass and MA LTC. After looking at my ID with an expression of confusion for a few moments, turning it over in her hand, she looks up at me and says in broken english "Do you have a drivers license"?
I looked her straight in the face and replied, "I'm FLYING, not DRIVING!"

Now that's funny.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom