1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Had a great weekend at NASCAR race in Loudon

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Nhusa, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Nhusa

Nhusa

I realize that this is LOOOONG

A few days ago I asked the brain trust to school me on going to a NASCAR race at Louden. I got some very good info so I thought I’d give ya all a report.

My son arrived from Washington DC about 3 AM on Friday morning with two of his friends. After a short sleep we went to the SIG Pro Shop to pick up a few SIG lanyards and headed for the track. Our first stop was the NASCAR credential trailer next to the museum where three of us got our HOT passes while Matt (the marketing guy for Gary Gaudlin and the 08 Xfinity car) got his media pass. When we got back in my truck, Matt handed me a Media parking sticker that allowed us to use the lot next to the fan zone just outside the tunnel to the infield.

After dropping Matt off at the tunnel entrance (he had work to do) we went a few miles north on 106 then drove up a steep dirt road to meet some great guys from Racers for Heroes that is based in North Carolina. Next we returned to the track, parked the truck and headed toward turn 3-4 to look for the number 16 Racers for Heroes K&N trailer where we found Colin Garrett and his dad. We were invited into the air conditioned lounge and spent some time talking. When I became time for Colin to take the car on the track for practice his dad asked up if we wanted to watch from the platform on the top of the trailer. We finally got home in Newfields around 10 PM.

On Saturday we got to the track about 11 AM, parked in our “reserved” lot, and went looking for the 08 Panini Xfinity car. It didn’t take long to find Matt and we were soon talking with Gray Gaudlin’s dad in there A/C cooled trailer. After about an hour we headed for the pits to find the location of the 08 Panini pit. On the way we met Ray Wright, the founder of Pit Stops for Hope and the pit crew coach for Richard Childress Racing, who had arranged for us to get the Hot passes. While we were talking to Ray, Colin Garrett walked by and we introduced them to each other. When we found the 08 pit, Gray’s dad insisted that we sit on the top of the pit box (Like he had to twist my arm) – my feet were at wall height - about 18 inches from the wall and I was about 3 yards from the car when it was being serviced in the pits. I got some outstanding pictures. There was a TV monitor just above eye level so I could see what was happening around the track. I felt like I was someone important but didn’t let it get into my head – to much!

On Sunday we arrived at the track around noon and after parking in our special spot we hit the Fan Zone to get a bunch of freebies, drink Monster stuff, and get Twisted Tea. Then we headed toward the Richard Childress trailers. Our goal was to hang out close to the RCR cars and watch. We again ran to Ray Wright and talked for a long time – He is a fantastic guy !!!! We spent most of the race near the number 3 and 8 pits with some time by the 43 because my son is friends with a few of the folks on the 43 team.

It was a great weekend and when I thanked Ray Wright a second time he said that he would put my name on the list for next year!

kevin9 likes this.

2. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

Sounds like a great time! Got tickets one time from Sprint at one of their Corporate functions when they sponsored the race and got a few perks like a pit tour and food at the Sprint tent. It was a great time and pretty relaxing as we were staying in a trailer in the parking lot. The place got pretty wild at night to put it mildly. The only down side is Tony Stewart won. I hated that guy....

3. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

^ that doesn't sound much like a 'regular' experience. Noice!

4. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Sounds like an awesome time!

We used to have a hospitality area on the pavilion outside turn three for the September race. Open bar, breakfast, lunch, and snacks, along with a pre race pit tour. It was like $800 per person though.

Two years ago I was hiding in the shade sitting at the bar when someone tapped me on the shoulder. It was Rutledge Wood, looking for the corporate organizer for my company who was surprised to be there. He does a lot.of PR stuff for us.

5. powerman

powerman NES Member

I open to adoption if you need another son. :)

Sounds like you had an awesome time.

That's the only place to be, is in the pits, that's were the real action is.

Did you learn something that blew your mind or never thought about until you saw it?

6. Nhusa

Nhusa

Interesting question —
    I think the thing that blew my mind was how friendly the two dads and Ray Wright were.
    But the Racers for Hero guys were also great.

Also learned that RCR has a war room with around 30 people in Charlotte during the race where they monitor a bunch of stuff and plan strategy.

7. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob NES Member

Sounds like you had a great time. My wife and I went for several years using Square D (electrical company that used to sponsor a car) hospitality tix from my BIL. We always had a good time but it was hot in the sun.