Had a blast shooting Trap today

What a great time I had shooting today. I'm using my friends Benelli super sport and shot 150 rounds

So I would like to get my own and was thinking a bt99 OU or something like that. I live on the north shore and was wondering where I could go to get fitted for me, I know that most are not the same.

By budget is around 1500 bucks used or under if I can get something new.

Thanks

Fish,

First, I'm glad that you liked the taste of the Orange Kool-Aid! [laugh]

Second, take your time. Try several guns; Fit, both physical and mental, is very important.

Third, shoot some more. Take part of your budget, and put it to ammo; after a while, you'll have a better idea of what you need/want.

Don't get hung up on a specific model - I use an old A5, and my misses are my own. A Perazzi, or Ljutic would not give me those birds back. My kid has gone 100 straight with an 870, and 125+ with Grandpa's Winchester field gun.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."

Welcome to the Addiction.

addiction indeed.

Welcome to the Addiction.

welcome to the addiction indeed. before you know it you'll be looking for MEC 9000 reloaders and wads and shot and primers.

Anyways, I bought a Citori XT Trap 32" barrels from Buds Gunshop not too long ago, couldn't be happier.

I'm out west, but come down to HSA (hopkinton) on Sunday Mornings, or Hamilton, or Old Colony (sat morning) ALL great clubs and friendly to beginners.

Last edited:
If you liked trap, you'll probably also like 5-stand and skeet at some point. I would recommend a more versatile gun. A BT-99 is a great gun, but will limit you to only trap, and singles trap at that. Maybe a supersport or Vinci. I just picked up a 725 sporting which I find perfect for versatility, but a litte more $$ than you are looking to spend. And like somebody above said, there is a 14 year old kid with a $500 pump shotgun that beats my ass week after week, I just happen to like browning over and unders :)

You just entered a very very Dark Place. There is no hope for your weekends and your wallet. Kiss them good-bye.

Read Mr. Happy's post, then re-read it a few dozen times. Try try try before you buy. If not you'll end up like most of us with 7-8 shotguns tring to find the perfect one. Clay shooters all know our wallets are doomed, so we like to share the pain. Most will let you try their guns once you show you're not gonna shoot yourself in the foot. So go out, shoot and let people know you're shopping for a Shotgun.

If you ever travel up to the Seacoast border I have a few you can try out. Just PM me.

But in all honesty it will be cheaper to just become a crack-head, but not as fun.

What a great time I had shooting today. I'm using my friends Benelli super sport and shot 150 rounds

So I would like to get my own and was thinking a bt99 OU or something like that. I live on the north shore and was wondering where I could go to get fitted for me, I know that most are not the same.

By budget is around 1500 bucks used or under if I can get something new.

Thanks

I too recently just shot trap for the first time. Dad passed down his Browning B2000 and told me to take good care of it. Also gave me his old spring loaded clay thrower.

Try sporting clays too!

good point. There are other clays games that are equally fun but are best shot with slightly different guns. ( Shotguns are like golf clubs, it's hard to get one to do everything well. ) Last thing you want is to buy a single shot BT99 and then want to shoot sporting clays doubles. Personally, I'd say you might consider a Bereta, Binelli or Franchi semi auto with a add on shell catcher. This would allow you to change barrels as different games dictate. All these brands also come with stock shims so you can adjust them yourself. Recoild on a Semi is generally softr than a double as well.
hts

Yup I'm hooked for sure. I just might buy this supersport I'm using now. At least I can do sporting clays down the road.

But I sure do like the look of the OU guns.

Anyone ever go to Green Mt in ossipee NH and shoot sporting clays there? With this weather my snowmobiling riding will be done.

I'm using a Benelli now with a shell catcher on it, it's a great gun... But the carbon fiber just doesn't have the bling of wood!

Back
Top Bottom