• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hackers....tried to steal my account.

I received an email today saying that my someone tried to log in 5 times with the wrong password. Was anyone else sent this email? I am telling you right now, if you see anything weird coming from this account, email me immediately. Thank you!

I did not, but keep in mind that this is a common phishing scheme now.

Some reputable looking email from something to which you subscribe or do business will tell you there was a problem with your account - "click here".

DON'T

Only call phone numbers on your cards or the phone number you can verify for a given company.
Only log into the service directly and check status directly.
If someone calls or emails indicating a problem with your account - hang up and contact them as above - directly and by your doing - never, ever give out info to an unsolicited contact.

Never, ever, ever follow a link from an email unless it is something like a password reset you requested and even then double check the real URLs. (most tools will let you hover or see the real URL via various settings).

Someone just posted this same thing last week, so it seems to be going around. Sounds like a good time to change all my passwords again.

It has happened to at least one other person recently.

In there email you received, did it has an IP address of the person trying to get in?

It was not me OR my xfinitywifi fake hotspot.

It is a matter of time before this whole forum gets hacked!

It is evident that we are targets and these attacks are getting worse.

I'll be downloading my old PM's and purging them from NES shorty.

Nobody would even know if I was hacked late at night because some of those posts get kinda weird that time of night anyway!

There is a lot of fake "Microsoft Tech Support" calls going around. Anyone who believes that out of the blue, Microsoft would call you possibly deserves to get hacked. If you give them access they won't trash anything: they are looking for things like credit card and bank info, and other contacts.

I try to sell them life insurance. They get angry at me for wasting their time....

There is a lot of fake "Microsoft Tech Support" calls going around. Anyone who believes that out of the blue, Microsoft would call you possibly deserves to get hacked. If you give them access they won't trash anything: they are looking for things like credit card and bank info, and other contacts.

I always laugh when I get those emails because I have nothing to do with Microsoft, I use a MAC. [laugh]
Never get viruses, Trojan Horses or Worms either.

If it is a legit NES vBulletin email it will list the IP address of attempt. It wouldn't hurt to notify an admin here so they can add the IP to the blocklist. Chances are that they know this and it will be spoofed but like I said, it can't hurt.

Someone just posted this same thing last week, so it seems to be going around. Sounds like a good time to change all my passwords again.

If you're not already using KeyPass or something like it to generate random/store passwords it's worth looking into. Having one or two passwords or variants is a standard methodology and is very insecure, if any acct gets compromised all of your accts are vulnerable. No, I'm not saying YOU do that, but way too many people do.

If you're not already using KeyPass or something like it to generate random/store passwords it's worth looking into. Having one or two passwords or variants is a standard methodology and is very insecure, if any acct gets compromised all of your accts are vulnerable. No, I'm not saying YOU do that, but way too many people do.

Second this. I use this on my main PC. I have it save the database to an encrypted folder in DropBox. I then use an App called KyPass on my phone which pulls from that KeePass database from DropBox as well. When I make an addition or change on either one (phone or PC) they each pull from that DropBox folder. That way they are both synced and I can pull passwords and info no matter where I am.

I try to sell them life insurance. They get angry at me for wasting their time....

I love f&^%ing with those so called Microsoft people. It really pisses them off big time. [rofl]

A call from Microsoft Tech Support... That hysterical. You can pay ridiculous amounts of money for Microsoft Premium Support and you;d be lucky to get a return call never mind an unsolicited one!!!!

Actually all the ones I have received they didnt say they were from Microsoft, they always say they are from the Windows company or something similar.

Actually all the ones I have received they didnt say they were from Microsoft, they always say they are from the Windows company or something similar.

Next time, ask them if they do double-sash or awning Windows! [laugh] [devil]

They do indeed announce themselves as from "Windows Technical Support" and they always sound like they are calling from India (distinct possibility).

And yup, unless you pay upfront, Microsoft Tech Support will never call you or me.

Got the same warning just now, someone is trying to brute-force all the accounts.

The attempts came from 108.162.222.88

I always laugh when I get those emails because I have nothing to do with Microsoft, I use a MAC. [laugh]

Glad to hear it, when my cat gets worms, I take him to the vet.
He's never had a Trojan Horse, I don't think.

If you haven't read it, Show-Stopper by G. Pascal Zachary is an absolutely awesome book about writing NT; people based, not hard-core.

Then you are fooling yourself as not only have attacks specific to OSX increased with their market penetration, but Apple's SSL and then openSSL's separate, but related debacles have left them more vulnerable than usual.

They are also subject to many of the same attacks as linux given the unix running under the hood. Bash, openSSL, javascript and the like present cross-platform vulnerabilities and Apple's historically slow and stubborn bug fixing doesn't help matters.

To quote the NSA, "We have a 100% success rate compromising Apple products."

It has happened to at least one other person recently.

In there email you received, did it has an IP address of the person trying to get in?

It was not me OR my xfinitywifi fake hotspot.

It is a matter of time before this whole forum gets hacked!

It is evident that we are targets and these attacks are getting worse.

I'll be downloading my old PM's and purging them from NES shorty.

Nobody would even know if I was hacked late at night because some of those posts get kinda weird that time of night anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got it too:

Dear PaulR,

Someone has tried to log into your account on Northeastshooters.com Forums with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 108.162.222.142

All the best,
Northeastshooters.com Forums

Okay I just got it. I'm running an iMac, iPads and iPhones. It didn't say anything about Microsoft. It says it's from Northeastshooters.com forums.

What do I do?
Dear Canndo,

Someone has tried to log into your account on Northeastshooters.com Forums with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 188.163.79.178

All the best,

Me too. Same IP addy as Canndo.

Okay I just got it. I'm running an iMac, iPads and iPhones. It didn't say anything about Microsoft. It says it's from Northeastshooters.com forums.

What do I do?
Dear Canndo,

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 188.163.79.178

All the best,

Got it today too..

Dear dback1513,

All the best,

These appear to be Chinese and Ukraine IP addresses ... hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband ...

Back
Top Bottom