H7541: RI will honor MA/CT permits (if it passes)

House Bill No. 7541
BY Ucci, Chippendale, Nardolillo, Price,
Corvese

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES -- WEAPONS (Allows
individuals with concealed carry permits issued by Massachusetts, Connecticut
and any other state with a live fire requirement to carry concealed firearms
within this state.)

2/10/2016 Introduced, referred to House Judiciary

Does MA and CT have a Live Fire requirement? When I took the NRA Basic Pistol I did live fire, but I don't know if this is a requirement..
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText16/HouseText16/H7541.pdf

I had to do live fire for my Ct. and MA. permits. I assume it's required

In MA live fire it's t required as there are classes that don't have it that are approved for the LTC. The exception is a couple places like Boston that make you do a shooting test. RI requires qualifying to carry.

The way I read that.....it names Mass An CT specifically are allowed and then other states are allowed only if it has live fire, dose not say Mass or Ct needs live fire. Am I interpreting that wrong??

The way I read that.....it names Mass An CT specifically are allowed and then other states are allowed only if it has live fire, dose not say Mass or Ct needs live fire. Am I interpreting that wrong??

Not really, however those opposing the bill will read it as since MA and Ct don't require live fire, it isn't equal to the RI requirements and will oppose it.

Would be nice. I live right on the border. I have to leave my CCW at home before visiting my mechanic in Woonsocket and I have to avoid trails that could put me in RI while mountain biking. Pain in the ass.

Ct requires range testing, if instructor feels you can't safely handle firearm, they can and usually will fail you...
Reading statute it states "AND" any other state requiring live fire...

Would rather have national recognition, like drivers

Ct requires range testing, if instructor feels you can't safely handle firearm, they can and usually will fail you...
Reading statute it states "AND" any other state requiring live fire...

Would rather have national recognition, like drivers

Ok.... MA dose not require live fire, but this statute state the permit would be recognized, so if this passed as written a MA LTC would be all you would need to carry in RI. yet you may never have had a formal live fire test would you agree or am I missing something?

Hasn't a similar bill been attempted before a few years ago?

Yes, and it even passed the House. That bill said that RI would honor MA permits *if* MA changed their law to honor RI permits. I don't see that ever happening.

My understanding is that there is opposition to this and another reciprocity bill. The opposition is from Steve Hogan of RI Rifle and Revolver (I always get the name of this group wrong, but I'm close). I believe the stated reason is that there is nothing in it that would benefit RI gun owners.

Personally, I support the bill. People can debate what, if any, direct benefit there is to RI gun owners. It does, however, benefit the 2A community at large by advancing gun rights overall. Further, I find the stated reasoning a bit petty. "What do *I* get out of this??!!" is not a rationale for opposing an advancement to our rights.

Last edited:
The LTC class I took was a live fire class, I got the usual certificate as well as the NRA basic pistol cert. The instructor also kept the targets as proof. I wonder if that would qualify?

Yes, and it even passed the House. That bill said that RI would honor MA permits *if* MA changed their law to honor RI permits. I don't see that ever happening.

My understanding is that there is opposition to this and another reciprocity bill. The opposition is from Steve Hogan of Ri Rifle and Revolver (I always get the name of this group wrong, but I'm close). I believe the stated reason is that there is nothing in it that would benefit RI gun owners.

Personally, I support the bill. People can debate what, if any, direct benefit there is to RI gun owners. It does, however, benefit the 2A community at large by advancing gun rights overall. Further, I find the stated reasoning a bit petty. "What do *I* get out of this??!!" is not a rational for opposing an advancement to our rights.

If true, this Hogan guy is a real class act. Nothing like a downer to give a great bill some resistance. Well, RI, if you want to find who not to donate and who to see as an opponent, then turn your eyes to Steve Hogan.

I doubt anyone would give a rats ass in opposition if MA had the same reciprocity with RI and CT.

In Rhode Island, once can track the progress of a bill, but too often, everything happens in the last few days of the session, at about 1:00AM, when the rules are "suspended" and the wheeling and dealing is fast and furious...

In Rhode Island, once can track the progress of a bill, but too often, everything happens in the last few days of the session, at about 1:00AM, when the rules are "suspended" and the wheeling and dealing is fast and furious...

You mean you don't miss the "all nighters"?

Nothing beat hanging out on Smith Hill at 4AM, right?

Back
Top Bottom