H. Ross Perot won't be down for breakfast...

Enzo

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember a story that he was so sure he would be elected president that he had his childhood home restored to its original condition thinking that someday it would be a landmark.
The home was brick on the outside but through the years it had been painted so the best solution was to have every brick removed and relay the brick so the painted part was facing in and the never painted brick face that was inside was turned to the outside.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I remember a story that he was so sure he would be elected president that he had his childhood home restored to its original condition thinking that someday it would be a landmark.
The home was brick on the outside but through the years it had been painted so the best solution was to have every brick removed and relay the brick so the painted part was facing in and the never painted brick face that was inside was turned to the outside.
He drastically over-estimated the average American voted.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ha, childhood was Johnson/Nixon/Ford/Carter. That, and candlepin bowling on TV. Don't remember Johnson, but remember Vietnam on TV all the time.

Last edited:

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kennedy bought it just before I came on the scene. Peanut boy is the first president I remember.
Jeez, what were you drinking when you were young? I was born in 1970 and I clearly remember Ford and Carter.

I also remember marching in our Bicentennial Parade as a recently-graduated kindergartner. [grin] Our principal marched as Uncle Sam.

There are probably photos somewhere. [shocked]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to date myself, but Eisenhower was my first president. Although I was conceived while Truman was still in office.

yogi

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I was a fan, voted for him, loved the presentation materials he had.

slipknot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is very sad news. He would have been an excellent President and the country would have been a LOT better off today that is certain. I had his sign on my lawn, first one for any candidate I ever put up.

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I saw him speak in Jacksonville, NC while he was running.

I salute him for his efforts towards full accountability for the POWs & MIAs left behind in Vietnam and Laos.
[iwojima]

aeromarine

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Mr. Perot was an amazing patriot and a tremendous benefactor to dozens of former Viet Nam era POWs and their families. And he did for decades all without fanfare, publicity or any wish for recognition. I know this to be true for a fact. I married into a Navy family that has close connections with several of the POWs and as a result I got to know these brave souls personally. It started pre release when they were still in Hanoi. And when these heroes came home he made sure they got the best of care and so did their spouses and children. And if the top US Govt health care facilities like Walter Reed, Bethesda Naval Hospital or the VA proved inadequate to handle specific needs he would dispatch his plane and have them whisked away to the Mayo Clinic or other state-of-the-art hospital to get the job done right. This level of attention continued over the years with financial support, engaging and paying for in home support and even personal weekly phone calls from him just to make sure things were okay. Yes, I was a disappointed that he ran in 1992 and very likely contributed to the Clinton win. But I only wish the world knew about a tenth of the incredible good works and deeds he sponsored over the years so people could appreciate him as a truly great patriot and humanitarian rather than see him as an eccentric caricature. He gave a tremendous amount back to the country and he should be praised for that.

Last edited:

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jeez, what were you drinking when you were young? I was born in 1970 and I clearly remember Ford and Carter.

I also remember marching in our Bicentennial Parade as a recently-graduated kindergartner. [grin] Our principal marched as Uncle Sam.

There are probably photos somewhere. [shocked]
Fermented goat milk. You spike it with a wine yeast (NOT beer yeast) and cork it up in a cask. Doesn't have to be oak. Tap it every couple months. You'll know when it's ready.

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think he would have been a good president. But when his running mate Adm. Stockdale got in front of the cameras, it was all over but the shouting.

One of my favorite Perot statements is "America needs to develop more leaders, and I don't mean managers. You manage inventory. You LEAD people".

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he gave us clinton, arkancide, and the awb.
When the polls had Clinton in third place behind Perot and GHWB, it was the kiss of death: Bush only had 31% support, and it didn't matter who the opponents were.

If Perot hadn't been in the race, the landslide slaughter against Bush would have been even uglier.

Perot was correct about slashing the budget. He was wrong about increasing taxes to erase the budget deficit.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When the polls had Clinton in third place behind Perot and GHWB, it was the kiss of death: Bush only had 31% support, and it didn't matter who the opponents were.

If Perot hadn't been in the race, the landslide slaughter against Bush would have been even uglier.

Perot was correct about slashing the budget. He was wrong about increasing taxes to erase the budget deficit.
Perot was dead on correct about NAFTA

In most regards Trump adopted much of the economic message of Perot.......Perot attempted to do it outside of the 2 party system, Trump did it from within and in doing so put the policy/platform and politics together to win.

Had Perot come to grips with Buchanan who was similar wrt economic/no intervention message and ran as POTUS/VP together they would have decimated clinton and bush.

Think about the direction this country would NOT have gone in.

China wouldnt be part of the WTO and would not have ascended to the power it currently is.....remember, china and mexico at the time were vying for similar jobs/manufacturing....NAFTA destroyed that and created a two speed economy in Mexico

No endless wars in the middle east

No Global war on terror

No 20+ trillion dollar debt

List goes on.......

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The original Donald Trump. I recall thinking of voting for him just because he was going to screw up Washington just enough to make it work right for a change. In the end, I backed out figuring his screwups would be too bad and the benefits would be outweighed.

20-something years later, I voted for Trump for the exact same reasons. And 20-something years later, DC was worse. And that hag was running against him. Made it an easy decision all around.

Perot was crazy like Trump is crazy. He just isn't orange with goofy hair.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Ha, childhood was Johnson/Nixon/Ford/Carter. That, and candlepin bowling on TV. Don't remember Johnson, but remember Vietnam on TV all the time.
Right behind you. But barely. Candlepins for Cash. The Channel 6 (forget the call letters - SNE?) afternoon movie and "Dialing for Dollars" mid-way through. Random phone call. "Do you know the movie we are watching? No? Oh well, another $10 in the pot for tomorrow." They never called our damned house!

I recall being 3-4ish when Watergate broke and my parents wanting for me to STFU because President FORD was on TV pardoning Nixon.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right behind you. But barely. Candlepins for Cash. The Channel 6 (forget the call letters - SNE?) afternoon movie and "Dialing for Dollars" mid-way through. Random phone call. "Do you know the movie we are watching? No? Oh well, another $10 in the pot for tomorrow." They never called our damned house!

I recall being 3-4ish when Watergate broke and my parents wanting for me to STFU because President FORD was on TV pardoning Nixon.
gawd, what a time. Obama did 20X the bad shit than nixon ever did, yet his followers still say his shit smells like roses

Reactions: jpk

bdb

NES Member
Rating - 97.2%
69   2   0
RIP Mr Perot. He was quite a character. I had lunch with him about 8 years ago at the data center in Plano Texas he built for his company Perot Systems. We were a big customer and I was down at the data a few times. The halls are like a museum with various topics. A lot of military artifacts and things donated by the various people he has helped. One section is all devoted to his presidential run. As I recall, all the security guards are ex military, or they were back then anyway. He was a funny little guy to talk to.

Top Bottom