• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

H&R to bring back the M1 Garand

I’ve got a CMP Springfield Armory Service grade (5 mil. S/N?), shoots 2.5-3.0 MOA with surplus HXP Greek ammo. Tuned it up within CMP specs: remove interferences between the op-rod and stock, peened over the gas cylinder splines, etc. and even made some hand-loads—haven’t tested it yet! . My H&R from the CMP is post-war (1955?) and won’t be used until there is a special occasion to do so ;-). Would be nice to see more forged-receiver M1’s in the USA again! Lots of Beretta’s stuck in Canada and plenty of cast US Ordnance M1 knock-offs floating around the USA

A Garand in 308 has alway interested me. If they make one in 308 I’d seriously consider it. It would go nice with my CMP 1943 SA Garand.
Exactly! My third, and final, M1 is a CMP Field Grade (read: beater) that will eventually get re-barreled to .308 and re-parked. Maybe by Shuffs? Maybe Mac1911 can chime in on this?

I can’t see what any type of modernizing would do. Different calibers or pistol grip AR stock just doesn’t make sense.

I never liked the Garand, but a faithful copy done right would sell. Wouldn’t be cheap but would be new.

I’d prefer H&R to come out with the 999 .22 revolver or some of the old top breaks.

I can’t see what any type of modernizing would do. Different calibers or pistol grip AR stock just doesn’t make sense.

I never liked the Garand, but a faithful copy done right would sell. Wouldn’t be cheap but would be new.

I’d prefer H&R to come out with the 999 .22 revolver or some of the old top breaks.
Never liked the M1 Garand? Huh?

Depends on what you are comparing a Garand with, I am comparing it to it's modern equivalent, like an SR25.

So ya, Model T.

A flintlock would be like Fred Flinstones car :)

I think of bolt-actions as being the analogue to the Model T, but that's just me.

This is part of a trend, I imagine. PPKs are back in production. Everyone is rebooting the BHP. Now this.

I think someone thinks a lot of buyers have a lot of disposable income.

There’s a small but dedicated group of people on the CMP forum making short runs of 6.55 x 55 Swedish Mauser barrels for the M1. They supposedly shoot really well. If someone may a 6.5 mm Creedmore or such M1, I think it could take off

I think of bolt-actions as being the analogue to the Model T, but that's just me.

This is part of a trend, I imagine. PPKs are back in production. Everyone is rebooting the BHP. Now this.

I think someone thinks a lot of buyers have a lot of disposable income.

People still make and sell stuff like derringers, so theres a market for everything.

PSA/H&R producing a new M1 Garand out of all forged parts is interesting, should it ever happen.

Meanwhile, how about they bring back the Handi Rifle? They could make a killing on it with 16" threaded barrels in .300 Blackout, plus all the traditional popular calibers.

"Harrington and Richardson"... Sounds Murikun AF, right? Well the H&R Pardner Pump shottie is made in communist China. Not a bad 870 clone at all, just not what people expect it to originate from with a name like Harrington and Richardson. Will the new Garand be Chinese made too?

I'll leave it to the machinest and manufacturing engineers to figure out how they hit that price point.

This thread reminds me that I'm due to go back to the original Springfield Armory museam and see the first Garand, the first to come of the assembly line, and the 1,2,3 and 4th million Garand. If you haven't been there yet GO!

I'll leave it to the machinest and manufacturing engineers to figure out how they hit that price point.

This thread reminds me that I'm due to go back to the original Springfield Armory museam and see the first Garand, the first to come of the assembly line, and the 1,2,3 and 4th million Garand. If you haven't been there yet GO!
Its much smaller than it used to be. Going there with my dad in the 80s you toured much of the factory. Last i went in the late 90s most of what I remember was gone.

Yeah my high school class actually took a field trip to Springfield Armory back in the day. Can you imagine that happening now?! If PSA goes forward on the M1, do you think they’ll have Bula Forge make the receivers?

A couple of us have built semi M14's on Bula Defense forged receivers. They are tack drivers and well made. Bula is doing well and pretty much only selling complete rifles lately. Pricing ranges from $2250 to $2800. The Bula receivers are as good or better than original USGI and definitely a step above SAI cast receivers. New M1's based on a quality forged receiver would be a nice option to keep the platform going as the surplus rifles dry up. CMP is sold out of everything except for the Expert grades, which are assembled from serviceable receivers that were stripped from an otherwise trashed M1 (probably a Philippine return).

Yeah my high school class actually took a field trip to Springfield Armory back in the day. Can you imagine that happening now?! If PSA goes forward on the M1, do you think they’ll have Bula Forge make the receivers?
LOL I was wondering that as I typed my above post. Would not be a huge shift for Bula to do so.

H&R should make guns in 7.62 NATO because they did some of the conversions.

https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/762Garand.pdf
If anyone wants to convert their 30-06 M1 to 7.62x51 I can hook you up... BTW, the magazine spacer was not to prevent the loading of 30-06 into a converted gun. It moved the bullet guide rearward to accommodate the shorter round and prevent rounds from sliding forward under recoil.
1643202343964.jpeg

In the video the CEO did mention ramping up new tooling using modern methods for most of the forged parts.
There was proprietary tooling used to produce the originals that just isn't cost effective for relatively small runs. For instance, there was a tool inserted from the front into the receiver for the sole purpose of cutting the last few thousandths of the helical surfaces of the locking shoulders. I believe these are a 5 pitch helix. It went in and rotated the 30 degrees (guessing) and was with drawn. It's tough to setup tooling like that for what is effectively small batches.

I remember reading decades ago how the use of CNC machine tools was going to bring the price of guns and gunmaking down drastically. Now with polymer parts, 3D printing and other technology,( such as the increasing use of aluminum) it appears that the manufacturers have just increased their profit margin rather than lower prices. It is easy to reverse engineer a firearm, but it's the metallurgy that is critical.

I remember reading decades ago how the use of CNC machine tools was going to bring the price of guns and gunmaking down drastically. Now with polymer parts, 3D printing and other technology,( such as the increasing use of aluminum) it appears that the manufacturers have just increased their profit margin rather than lower prices. It is easy to reverse engineer a firearm, but it's the metallurgy that is critical.
Have to pay for all that equipment.
I would like to know what ruger put up for all there plastic and injected casting equipment.
I guess you can look at it in many ways.
If my dad was still alive he would look at what people make now and the cost of ammo guns say in the 80s he would sat its cheap today.
I sold it all off but I know I had ammo from the 80s my dad bought at Kmart in rockland Mass and lots of common stuff was $12+/20 rds

Although with todays hi tech mills with multi axis multi head “cnc” machines you would think it would be pretty “easy” now.
Was reading up on M1 manufacture and it was something like 80 separate machine steps and had to be removed and set up on other tooling 40 times or so. Just looking at the man power used back then to get a M1 out the door was crazy.
Oh and iirc the M1 came off the mill to the us government at $84 each. ? Was that a lot back then?

Last edited:
Have to pay for all that equipment.
I would like to know what ruger put up for all there plastic and injected casting equipment.
I guess you can look at it in many ways.
If my dad was still alive he would look at what people make now and the cost of ammo guns say in the 80s he would sat its cheap today.
I sold it all off but I know I had ammo from the 80s my dad bought at Kmart in rockland Mass and lots of common stuff was $12+/20 rds

Although with todays hi tech mills with multi axis multi head “cnc” machines you would think it would be pretty “easy” now.
Was reading up on M1 manufacture and it was something like 80 separate machine steps and had to be removed and set up on other tooling 40 times or so. Just looking at the man power used back then to get a M1 out the door was crazy.
Oh and iirc the M1 came off the mill to the us government at $84 each. ? Was that a lot back then?
1643210523280.png

If that's COGS, you're looking at $5K+ to the private market today.

It's important to remember that many of those manufacturing operations were on horizontal mills. When we talk about CNC, we're almost always thinking about vertical milling centers. There are some features that are easier to do with one than the other.

Obviously it would have to be at a reasonable price. Of course, it can't happen as they would need all of the modern safety requirements.
Not if they’re not street legal....think roxor jeep.

Back
Top Bottom