• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

H&K VP9

Arlo39

NES Member
Bought an VP9 today, cleaned and dry fired it. All I can say is WOW about the trigger. I have no idea how they got it approved but I can't wait to get to the range.

the gun is as safe as any modern handgun (maybe safer), so the "approval" process is artificial and irrelevant.

enjoy your new VP9. it shoots fantastic. i ended up swapping out the backstrap to the flat/small one because i found the stock backstrap put way too much hump on the back of grip such that i couldn't get a nice high grip on the gun. then again i prefer straight backstrap designs like 1911 or beretta vertec types so it's likely just all matter of preference.

i ended up swapping out the backstrap to the flat/small one because i found the stock backstrap put way too much hump on the back of grip such that i couldn't get a nice high grip on the gun. then again i prefer straight backstrap designs like 1911 or beretta vertec types so it's likely just all matter of preference.

I figured I have larger hands so I've had the mediums on mine, but it's worth a shot.

H&K needs a single stack VP that has a longer grip than the P30SK... or at least offer a few base plate options. = Take my money. Also, 416 variant pistol caliber carbine that takes P30/VP9 mags. = Take my money.

H&K needs a single stack VP that has a longer grip than the P30SK... or at least offer a few base plate options. = Take my money. Also, 416 variant pistol caliber carbine that takes P30/VP9 mags. = Take my money.

I don't think we'll see either of those. VP40 is out already, VP45 is coming, then compact models. I'd like to see an updated USP9 Compact (the SKs are too small for me). Or VP9 Compact. I think we might see a VP9 compact or SK.

My wife has a VP9. Loves it. Even my niece who weighs maybe 110# soaking wet can fire it with near zero muzzle rise.
My wife chose it initially because the slide is so easy to rack. She has arthritis in her wrists and elbows. She can't rack my FNS9.
But the VP9 is a piece of cake.
A very well behaved 9mm pistol.
I may seek out the new P30SK when I get back from China. But can't add a new one yet. Not until I get her a shotgun :)

Shot my VP9 yesterday at an IDPA shoot, the gun did well, I did not due to meet not firing it in about 4 months, didn't have time for a practice session before the shoot. So far it is the best trigger in a striker fired gun that I have owned in years.

the gun is as safe as any modern handgun (maybe safer), so the "approval" process is artificial and irrelevant.

enjoy your new VP9. it shoots fantastic. i ended up swapping out the backstrap to the flat/small one because i found the stock backstrap put way too much hump on the back of grip such that i couldn't get a nice high grip on the gun. then again i prefer straight backstrap designs like 1911 or beretta vertec types so it's likely just all matter of preference.
I agree with you on the Approval Process.

Shot the VP9 today. Great gun, love the trigger. I shot from 5 to 25 yards and shot it better then My M&P9 FS. Very happy I bought it. The best part it's a MA compliant gun that needs no work done on it.

Shot the VP9 today. Great gun, love the trigger. I shot from 5 to 25 yards and shot it better then My M&P9 FS. Very happy I bought it. The best part it's a MA compliant gun that needs no work done on it.

To be fair, ALL M&Ps need trigger work done.

Was at a range down south a while back and they rent pistols for 7 dollars. Decided to shoot the vp9. It's really got a nice trigger. I shot it well, my son shot it even better than me. I like the ergonomics on the piece as well. Nice gun

Bought an VP9 today, cleaned and dry fired it. All I can say is WOW about the trigger. I have no idea how they got it approved but I can't wait to get to the range.

I also bought one last week and I am equally impressed. I took it to the range yesterday and put 100 rounds through it with no issues. I used 115G WWB. I would have shot it more if I had the time.

My wife has a VP9. Loves it. Even my niece who weighs maybe 110# soaking wet can fire it with near zero muzzle rise.
My wife chose it initially because the slide is so easy to rack. She has arthritis in her wrists and elbows. She can't rack my FNS9.
But the VP9 is a piece of cake.
A very well behaved 9mm pistol.
I may seek out the new P30SK when I get back from China. But can't add a new one yet. Not until I get her a shotgun :)

The slide is very easy. Controls are easy, grip is nice, I was stuck between a SIG 2022 and the VP9. I'm glad I chose the VP9. This was my fist pistol and I love it.

I have a new Shield NTS as well as a Full Size. I have Apex kits in both and the Shield trigger a lot better then the FS one. I'm thinking I may sell the Full Size now I have the VP9.

You wont be sorry. I have shot the VP9 all day with no issues.

I went to buy a vp9 and had to order one as I was told they were on national back order. h&k told me to expect it first quarter of 16!

I went to buy a vp9 and had to order one as I was told they were on national back order. h&k told me to expect it first quarter of 16!

There are gun shops in MA that have them in stock, just call around. If I were you I'd find one and cancel that order, screw waiting half a year.

There are gun shops in MA that have them in stock, just call around. If I were you I'd find one and cancel that order, screw waiting half a year.

From what have have heard the VP9s are trickling in from distributors, but guns ordered directly from HK are taking significantly longer to materialize. Factor in that they ship far fewer of the 10rd versions and you've got a nice, long wait.

I picked one up on Sat at Mass Firearms School for a pretty good price. They might have more.

Currently my pistol buying philosophy, especially with respect to full sized guns, is to buy the .40 and get the 9mm barrel for maximum ammo usability. It's worked for both my full and compact M&Ps and so I'm hoping down the road a bit it will also be possible for the VP40. Anyone know for sure?

Currently my pistol buying philosophy, especially with respect to full sized guns, is to buy the .40 and get the 9mm barrel for maximum ammo usability. It's worked for both my full and compact M&Ps and so I'm hoping down the road a bit it will also be possible for the VP40. Anyone know for sure?

You can't swap VP40 and 9mm barrels, you'd have to swap the whole slide.

I hear this from all kinds of people but it makes absolutely no sense to me. Then I see one or two of these setups **** up for some bizarre reason, and that only validates my hatred of pistol caliber conversions. The only one that isn't retarded is going between .40 and .357 Sig because in most cases, almost nothing changes except the barrel. Even that is kind of gay because you can end up with sight regulation issues from one to the other. To me its just a cop out of buying another gun.

-Mike

Just got back from the range after breaking in my new VP 9. Using junk reloads I had only two FTFs (high primers) and the slide failed to lock back twice. This was after 300 rounds. Accuracy was pretty good as I got 2.75 inches for six shots offhand at 25 yds.

The real success story was the Dawson sights (black rear, fiber optic front) which I installed prior to shooting the pistol for the first time. I got lucky, my attempt at centering the sights at my shop was a success. The gun was dead on, no messing with drift adjusting the rear sight.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the trigger sucks and the ambidextrous slide release looks like it was designed by someone on a bad trip. The slide release on the right side (the one I will never use) is a 2.125 in lever attached to the trigger pin. I'm seriously considering cutting it off.

The trigger sucks for a couple of reasons. The first and most aggravating is that it varies between a crisp break and a Glock like creep. I am hoping that break in will improve the trigger, but it seems to be getting worse rather than better with use. The second problem is the heavy pull, I have heard it quoted at 5+ lbs. H&K has a spring kit that will reduce the pull by a pound or more; this is my next step. Perhaps lighter springs (sear spring and trigger return spring) and more break in will solve the problem. Time will tell.

To me its just a cop out of buying another gun.

This is definitely it. [smile] I'm a big fan of modularity which is the main reason why I love the AR platform so much too. Honestly, I haven't tested the function of the 9mm barrels in my .40s enough to trust them with my life and I can see where concerns over reliability would come in. I like being able to shoot cheaper for fun though.

Just got back from the range after breaking in my new VP 9. Using junk reloads I had only two FTFs (high primers) and the slide failed to lock back twice. This was after 300 rounds. Accuracy was pretty good as I got 2.75 inches for six shots offhand at 25 yds.

The real success story was the Dawson sights (black rear, fiber optic front) which I installed prior to shooting the pistol for the first time. I got lucky, my attempt at centering the sights at my shop was a success. The gun was dead on, no messing with drift adjusting the rear sight.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the trigger sucks and the ambidextrous slide release looks like it was designed by someone on a bad trip. The slide release on the right side (the one I will never use) is a 2.125 in lever attached to the trigger pin. I'm seriously considering cutting it off.

The trigger sucks for a couple of reasons. The first and most aggravating is that it varies between a crisp break and a Glock like creep. I am hoping that break in will improve the trigger, but it seems to be getting worse rather than better with use. The second problem is the heavy pull, I have heard it quoted at 5+ lbs. H&K has a spring kit that will reduce the pull by a pound or more; this is my next step. Perhaps lighter springs (sear spring and trigger return spring) and more break in will solve the problem. Time will tell.

I hear most people rave about the trigger. I pulled one in a store and it smooth, crisp and light but not too light. I wonder if you got a lemon?

This is definitely it. [smile] I'm a big fan of modularity which is the main reason why I love the AR platform so much too. Honestly, I haven't tested the function of the 9mm barrels in my .40s enough to trust them with my life and I can see where concerns over reliability would come in. I like being able to shoot cheaper for fun though.

I hear most people rave about the trigger. I pulled one in a store and it smooth, crisp and light but not too light. I wonder if you got a lemon?

My VP 9 trigger was not light, but it was crisp. When crisp turned into creep the honeymoon was over. Perhaps I was expecting too much? The spring kit is on its way, maybe this will solve the problem. I must admit, however, that my recent experiences with H&K pistols will prevent me from ever buying another one.

There is something wrong with your trigger then. I have none of those issues at all. I'd get it checked out.

Back
Top Bottom