• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

H&K VP9 or Glock 19 Gen 5??

I have the VP9 and the G19 Gen 3 w p80 frame. I prefer the G19. Ghost trigger is much nicer. I even like the crappy sights better on the g19. I still get an occasional BTF, but it's getting better. Probably the weak Blazer I usually shoot.

Let me first say I haven't read all 4 pages. Just the first.

To the OP.

1) What you are saying, doesn't make sense. Your S&W 1911 is for shooting. Its not an heirloom quality hand made pistol. Its a nice gun, but you wouldn't be "beating the hell out of it".

2) Neither the VP9 or G19 are great range guns. They are sized for carry and not optimized for range use. Yes, they will do fine. But if you like the Glock, you are better off with a 34 for range use. If you find you prefer the HK, then you might want to consider the Walther PPQ M2 5 inch. Its ergonomics are nearly identical to the HK but with a better trigger than the HK or the Glock and a 5" barrel like the G34.

Either way
1) you don't need either of them unless you want them in addition to the 1911. Just shoot the 1911. "Saving" it is dumb.
2) neither of the choices you gave are really the right variants of their respective guns for range us.

Don

Although you have said you are interested in the two plastic guns for range use, I'll add my .02 on their relative merits for carry use.

In summary, get the Glock. Why??

1) The glock slide is substantially narrower than the VP9, making it more comfortable to carry IWB.
2) Legal standard capacity mags if you live in MA.

Some other things. The HK had a nicer trigger than the 19 out of the box. But if you put a genuine Glock 4.5# connector out of the G34 in a G19, you pretty much even things out.

Also, while this might not matter to some, the HK is 25% heavier than the Glock. (21 vs 26 oz)

I had a VP9 and sold it. Not because I disliked it. Quite the contrary. I just shoot my 19 better and its my carry gun. I never did carry the Vp9. Just a little too big. So, my advice to OP is that if this is going to be just a range toy, get the VP9. If you want to carry it as well, get the 19.... Or wait and get a VP9SK when they hit the shelves. Also, unless you are left handed, the gen 5 is pretty pointless.

since HK recently decided to not be a gun shop anymore, but became a political arm of anti Israel EU fascists....i would strongly advise against buying their stuff anymore

I just decided on a VP9 for a few extra mags. It's going to be a range gun, my first 9mm. I have a USP45 and USP45c, wanted in on the soft shooting. Looked at VP9, P320, PPQ, G19. The smart money is probably on the G19 for support/standard capacity magazines. I ultimately went for the VP9 because it felt better in my hand and I've already trained my idiot brain to use the magazine release. I shot all the above and they are all fine, couldn't get over the G19 ergo though (grip angle and grip boxiness). It's not terrible, quite fine, but with so few differentiators, the VP9 won out for me.

Back
Top Bottom