• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

H&K VP9 or Glock 19 Gen 5??

Hey guys! This is my first post on here and I was just looking for a couple of opinions. I just got my LTC this summer and I went crazy for my first gun and bought a Smith and Wesson 1911 Performance Series. Although it is a great gun it's not something I want to take to the range and beat the hell out of. So I started looking at the H&K and the Glocks for a good range gun. I've narrowed it down to these two choices and would like to hear what you guys have to say about them. Thanks in advance!

Why wouldn't you just carry and shoot the 1911? I know they aren't cheap, but the smith isn't so rare, historic, or valuable that you should be concerned about using it. It's meant be be shot, shoot it! The more you use it, the better it will perform, the better you will get with it, and the more you will trust it.

If there's another issue (weight, size, conceal ability, 1911 maint/reliability) then buy something to address that.

Hey guys! This is my first post on here and I was just looking for a couple of opinions. I just got my LTC this summer and I went crazy for my first gun and bought a Smith and Wesson 1911 Performance Series. Although it is a great gun it's not something I want to take to the range and beat the hell out of. So I started looking at the H&K and the Glocks for a good range gun. I've narrowed it down to these two choices and would like to hear what you guys have to say about them. Thanks in advance!

My .02 if your looking for a range gun why not grab the Smith M&P Range kit?

I’m a big fan of the VP9. If you can obtain a 19 at normal price I’d lean that way due to the availability of pre ban mags. It’d be a cold day in hell before I dropped $850 on a “gently” used 19 gen 5.

My .02 if your looking for a range gun why not grab the Smith M&P Range kit?
He's got until tomorrow to take on this offer.

What a deal though. Well under $400 after MIR, and free Apex trigger kit?? And I think it qualifies for the mag n bag promotions.

G19

Then the VP9 if you like it better

I have both, but I shoot my G17 a lot more than either of them.

What's your next thread, .40 v 9mm? Haha
Seriously, they are both good guns. Shoot both and buy what you like. Don't listen to anyone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Glock 19 for carry. I'm thinking this for range gun.

image-48-660x277.jpeg

I'd go Glock. Preferably Gen4
I don't really believe in getting the newest and latest version of a gun, especially one you plan on carrying. Every new Glock generation has had QC problems and the Gen 5 is too new to see if it actually will be reliable. (see the G17Ms, G4, G3)
I have both and don't get me wrong the VP9 is a nice shooter, but it's a gun I have a hard time getting excited about. Also there are mixed reports of it's reliablility under adverse conditions.
Really hard to beat a Glock in terms of simplicity, reliability and cost. Also the aftermarket is there if modding/upgrading components is your thing.
It are looking the best striker fired gun out of the box and want something different look at the CZ P10c. It's awesome, and the trigger I think is better than the VP9

Last edited:
I carry my VP9 pretty much all the time now. I've put nearly 1,500 rounds through it with only a couple hiccups that were either my fault or the fault of the ammo. It ate everything I fed it without any complaints. Even some questionable gun show reloads. The only complaint I have is the lack of preban standard and high cap mags, which you can get with a Glock.

If you're going to carry a Glock, I would go with a Gen 4 over a 5 for the QC reasons already mentioned. I don't have one so I can't personally testify, but the consensus here has always been that the G19 is the go to carry gun.

If all you want is a 9mm range toy, I would pick up an M&P 9. Maybe the range kit as others suggested. Your 1911 is actually the perfect range toy, and I would totally shoot it if I was you. I have an E Series and I love shooting it.

Ultimately it comes down to fit and how it shoots for you. Try out a few at some place like Mass Firearms where you can try before you buy. See what you enjoy best and buy it. I don't know if they rent out Glocks, though, and you certainly can't buy a Gen 4 or 5 from an FFL.

I carry my VP9 pretty much all the time now. I've put nearly 1,500 rounds through it with only a couple hiccups that were either my fault or the fault of the ammo. It ate everything I fed it without any complaints. Even some questionable gun show reloads. The only complaint I have is the lack of preban standard and high cap mags, which you can get with a Glock.

If you're going to carry a Glock, I would go with a Gen 4 over a 5 for the QC reasons already mentioned. I don't have one so I can't personally testify, but the consensus here has always been that the G19 is the go to carry gun.

If all you want is a 9mm range toy, I would pick up an M&P 9. Maybe the range kit as others suggested. Your 1911 is actually the perfect range toy, and I would totally shoot it if I was you. I have an E Series and I love shooting it.

Ultimately it comes down to fit and how it shoots for you. Try out a few at some place like Mass Firearms where you can try before you buy. See what you enjoy best and buy it. I don't know if they rent out Glocks, though, and you certainly can't buy a Gen 4 or 5 from an FFL.

Im going to be buying a Gen 5 frame and I just have to buy the spring for it online.

If your interested in hi caps then you have to go with the Glock, what other choice do you have ? But if your not concerned about that then just get the VP9. Though my VP9 is too big for me to carry, it makes an excellent home defense and range gun. My VP9 has been both accurate and reliable, 400 trouble free rounds so far, 124gr.FMJ, 115gr.FMJ and 147gr.JHP.

I have the G4 G19 and the VP9 Tactical.

There's no wrong decision. I hope I never get into a gunfight, but if I ever do I'd be happy to have either one.

That said, the VP9 is better built but seems to be a little more finicky on ammo. Trigger is better than the Glock, sights are better, ergonomics take some getting used to with the mag release.

The Glock will eat any ammo, is more reliable (in my experience the VP9 does not like low power ammo), and just gets it done. Shitty sights and mediocre trigger, but ergos are always familiar with any Glock, like sleeping with an ex gf.

Handle them both, consider the costs, triggers, ergos, etc and make a decision from there.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a better range toy then the 1911 you have already.. easily my favorite pistols to plink with. I wouldn't worry about wearing it out since it's not a collectors item or rare etc and it takes a TON of rounds to wear a gun out and if you have the $ to throw that much lead you can just get a bunch of guns

As others have said at a minimum go and handle each of them, some people don't like the grip angle on Glocks although I've always felt it was natural.

Both will be a step down compared to the 1911. The VP9 is closer to a full size gun. It's grip is >1/2" longer than the G19. If it's just for the range, the VP9 is probably better. For carry purposes in MA, I would go with the G19.

OP-

for most purposes all these modern polymer guns are the same thing. just find the one that feels best and if possible shoot them to see. personally i'm a fan of glock or the Sig P320 but I have also kept the Canik TP9SF since it's basically a turkish made walther PPQ. i had a VP9 but could never get comfortable with it and the groove in trigger guard bit up my trigger finger so that gun got sold. but it ran reliably and was a good gun. the VP9sk no longer has the trigger groove in the guard for this reason and my guess is they'll phase it out of the full size VP9 at some point.

in terms of glocks in 9mm I am a fan of the gen 3's so that's where I stay. the gen 4's are also good. I find the changes in the gen 5 completely unnecessary so I have no interest there.

I will 3rd, or 4th? The m&p range kit. I bought one as my first gun( and only at the moment). I carry it and love shooting it at the range. I carry at 3 o'clock and I don't find it prints too much. Plus it comes with 3 mags and the uplula. It's an awesome set up for the money

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have the vp also the smith range kit and the canik. I have a g34 for the range also that will take the g17 pre bans but I always take the 1911 I just love the 1911 all around. I would just shoot the 1911 rather than make it a safe queen. I have had no problems with the others at all so they all offer something it is what you are comfy with.

Personally, out of all the plastic framed guns available to the public in MA, I think it's hard to beat the H&K VP9 for out of the box satisfaction . Great ergonomics, VG trigger, low bore access and they shoot great. My second choice would be an M&P with an Apex sear to cure the otherwise heavy trigger. Glocks , while they run good, just leave me blah as they come from the factory.
That said, hopefully the OP has either already purchased the S&W or H&K as both their rebate programs ended today.

p.s Yes, all 1911's should be shot.

Back
Top Bottom