Guy with ax attacks 4 NYPD officers posing for a photo bystander wounded in crossfire

a. I have no idea, not having been there, and any guess I might make is useless.
b. If someone hatcheted two people I knew and was walking with, and I was armed, I'm reasonably sure I would have tried. But, I will be so arrogant as to assume I would have prevailed, or even survived.

You're not from MA or NY are you ? [smile]

With absolutely no adverse consequence befalling the person who fired that shot. The same could definitely not be said of non-LEOs in a similar situation.

Every once in a while someone mistakes me for an attorney. I try to avoid misconceptions about my qualifications, hence the correction on my part.

Of course im from MA, I just dont bitch about the gun laws because im a JBT and have special gun law powers lol.
I think If a non LE fired that shot, or multiple shots, and hit Axe Wielder, and innocent bystander, theyd be fine (criminally of course, but youre still getting sued). I think as a prosecutor, youd have no chance of showing intent to hit the bystander. So assuming the shooter is properly licensed and all that, youre not getting charged.

I think as a prosecutor, youd have no chance of showing intent to hit the bystander.
The best example is from MA. Within a few weeks, there were two incidents:

a. The botched Framingham swat raid when an innocent was killed

b. A teenager in the Franklin area shot a friend in the head with a bb penetrating the skull. The police reported it was a tragic accident.

The prosecution was speaking of "a" as an accident for which no criminal charges are appropriate before the victim was even cold. The total lack of intent in "b" was not sufficient to avoid the filing of criminal charges.

The best example is from inciA. Within a few weeks, there were two incidents:

b. A teenager in the Franklin area shot a friend in the head with a bb penetrating the skull. The policeDr reported it was a tragic accident.

The prosecution was speaking of "a" as an accident for which no criminal charges are appropriate before the victim was even cold. The total lack of intent in "b" was not sufficient to avoid the filing of criminal charges.

Cmon. Not even close to our NYC scenario. The Framingham incident is a great example of LE getting away with shit they shouldnt. I agree with you, this is horse shit. There is no ****ing accountability, and its wrong.

In " b", you reference a "policeDr". I dont know what that is. Im assuming tho, in the Franklin incident, criminal charges were filed, right? Well of course they were. We dont have police doctors. Charges got filed on that incident for completely different reasons, non of which mirror our NYC scenario (had the shooter been nonLE).

Has any NESr compiled statistics, or have a list of Incidents where a civililan was involved in a "good" shoot, and was then charged criminally by the LE that had jurisdiction?

"policeDr". I dont know what that is. Im assuming tho, in the Franklin incident, criminal charges were filed, right? Well of course they were. We dont have police doctors. Charges got filed on that incident for completely different reasons, non of
which mirror our NYC scenario (had the shooter been nonLE).

Has any NESr compiled statistics, or have a list of Incidents where a civililan was involved in a "good" shoot, and was then charged criminally by the LE that had jurisdiction?

It was some sort of paste-o. I meant to say "police report".

Two cases - both in which gross negligence cause death or injury. One gets charges; one gets a pass.

Or, I could cite the example of the black powder MSP hunting accident.

How does some whack job from Queens afford and come by a nice one piece forged Made in the USA Estwing Hatchet???

Home he didn't use a bargain basement K-mart deal?

I smell a conspiracy.

Haha. Sucks for the cops though. Straight out of an action film. I'm with GPP here.

Twoinnicecases - both in which gross negligence cause death or injury. One gets charges; one gets a pass.

Yes, the one in Norton im guessing? Cite away. Ill once again, agree with you, that its complete horse shit, that LE gets away with what a civilian wouldnt. Would you like me to genuflect or perhaps post a youtube video and state it more publicly? Youre not really presenting a great argument for your earlier im not picking on the cops statement, but thats ok.
Back to your original argument/comment/discussion point of a non LE getting charged criminally involved in a good shooting, where there was an innocent bystander struck. Do you have any examples of that or just your Orwellian some animals are more equal than others argument?

The best example is from MA. Within a few weeks, there were two incidents:

b. A teenager in the Franklin area shot a friend in the head with a bb penetrating the skull. The police reported it was a tragic accident.

Two cases - both in which gross negligence cause death or injury. One gets charges; one gets a pass.

Rob, cite an accurate Massachusetts parallel--for example, a private citizen acting in a legitimate self-defense scenario who accidentally plugs a bystander in the process.

Until then, I think the scenarios you post, while accurate examples of dumbass cops with guns who I agree probably should have been charged, are not valid comparisons. It's total apples and oranges that strikes me as holding little relevance to the New York hachet attack.

Guy is clearly a Mormon who's magic undies were put on backwards, here's his FB page https://www.facebook.com/Zale.Thompson?ref=br_rs&fref=browse_search
zale-fb.jpg

The Great Saint O should be along to tell us it was workplace violence and for us to not jump to any conclusions at any time now...

Last edited:
I won't excuse bad marksmanship but this is NYC. Problem is there is so much shit, and people, all over the place, that having a "perfectly safe backstop" is something that is statistically difficult to come by. You could get haxored while looking for that safe direction that doesn't exist, unless you have like nintendo jump powers and you can jump into the air and shoot downward on the BG... [laugh]

-Mike

I won't excuse bad marksmanship but this is NYC. Problem is there is so much shit, and people, all over the place, that having a "perfectly safe backstop" is something that is statistically difficult to come by. You could get haxored while looking for that safe direction that doesn't exist, unless you have like nintendo jump powers and you can jump into the air and shoot downward on the BG... [laugh]

-Mike

One of the exact reasons that shooting from a kneeling position on a slightly upward trajectory is something I teach (and something I practice) It's nothing groundbreaking, but it can reduce those risks...obviously not eliminate them though.

I am convinced the zombie apocalypse is, in reality, a fight against bearded muslims.

I am loathe to agree. Random, increasing acts of violence in the name of jihad and caliphate - this will accomplish 2 goals - 1 is obvious, instilling terror in the homeland in a manner that will encourage citizen and politician alike to dramatically and forever change our way of life in the US.

2 perpetualism. So long as you have martyrs willing to kill and die for the formation of a global or even regional caliphate, you will always have attacks of this nature and with increased frequency. IT won't matter what security theatre or bans that are put in place, they'll keep churning out true believers and we'll keep ceding like cowards as a country. The sad part is, they will never get their caliphate and we will never be safe.

The only answer as it were, is preparedness at the individual level.

Maybe they are awful shooters, maybe not, but none of us were there to see. I know cops that are shooters, and some that arent.
Rob, have you ever shot at anything other than paper? Or steel? Hunting? How about this, have you ever had to shoot at a guy with a hatchet that came out of nowhere and just buried It in the back of your buddies head? Have you dealt with that adrenaline dump? Im sure the guy that hit the bystander went around and high fived everyone after he plugged her, and is sitting at home crushing beers and rejoicing in the fact that he hit some innocent lady.

Ill be one of the first guys In here condemning an unwarranted beating, or a no knock raid, or a dog that got shot by an ******* cop.

The hatchet wielder, different story dont you think? Or is the thin air youre breathing up there causing your brain to process things incorrectly there counselor?

Fair points, but the NYPD seems to have a habit of this. It's also not helped by the idiotic decision to have 20lb triggers in their Glocks, or whatever they use.

Guy is clearly a Mormon who's magic undies were put on backwards, here's his FB page https://www.facebook.com/Zale.Thompson?ref=br_rs&fref=browse_search
zale-fb.jpg

The Great Saint O should be along to tell us it was workplace violence and for us to not jump to any conclusions at any time now...

Yep.

“Helicopters, big military will be useless on their own soil,” Thompson raged in a private Facebook post, Fox News reported.
“They will not be able to defeat our people if we use guerilla warfare. Attack their weak flanks,” he added.
“There’s nothing we know at this time that would indicate that [Islamic terrorism] is the case,” Police Commissioner William Bratton said at a press conference at Jamaica Hospital.
“That’s what the investigation will attempt to determine,” Bratton said as Healey, the son of a 34-year Nassau County police detective, underwent surgery.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/23/man-shot-dead-after-striking-cop-in-the-head-with-ax/

One of the exact reasons that shooting from a kneeling position on a slightly upward trajectory is something I teach (and something I practice) It's nothing groundbreaking, but it can reduce those risks...obviously not eliminate them though.

21 Foot Rule. Need I say anything else?

Anyone catch Geraldo on Fox this morning? "The NYPD shot 7 times and only shot 1 innocent civilian, not bad". Made me laugh that their track record is so bad that they consider only 1 innocent person wounded as "not bad".

So once again we have a so called firearms trainer whose methods and training, is very questionable. As he advocates reducing a persons ability to shoot and move when engaging an attacker armed with an edged weapon. The last thing you want to do in a armed confrontation is to be off your feet.

Yes, I have been a firearms trainer, I have been trained and certified at multiple courses at Smith and Wesson and Mass. Police Training Council. I was the lead instructor for the Ma. Environmental Police.
Not sure if that was directed at me... my point was that it's one tool in the toolbox for shooting in an environment where you have no safe field of fire. It wasn't meant to mmqb anyone.

... Every once in a while someone mistakes me for an attorney. I try to avoid misconceptions about my qualifications, hence the correction on my part.

Hell, if somebody called ME a lawyer, I'd be pissed, too!

zale-fb.jpg

Actually it looks like a bunch of badly drawn, slightly saggy boobs. With square pasties.

http://pix11.com/2014/10/23/ax-wielding-man-shot-after-attacking-injuring-officer-in-queens/#ooid=84Ym1hcTrKNol9YJzzGRkvzFrVbgXx_W <-video of the guy running down the street with a hatchet before attacking the officers from behind

http://pix11.com/2014/10/23/ax-wielding-man-shot-after-attacking-injuring-officer-in-queens/
B0q5IAtCcAA8ylz.png

Looks like it may be a Canadian style copycat attack.

JAMAICA, Queens (PIX11/CNN) - Four police officers and a woman were injured, and a hatchet-wielding man was fatally shot during a bloody altercation Thursday in Queens and now officials are looking to see if the attack was prompted by terrorism.
Four rookie police officers were working near 162nd Street and Jamaica Avenue when a freelance photographer asked them to pose for a photo in front of a Conway store. While they were posing, another man, described as a 32-year-old male, attacked without saying a word, Commissioner Bratton said at a press conference Thursday.
“The suspect was described as having charged at the officers,” Bratton said.
The man, who was wielding an 18-inch hatchet, was shot dead by officers.

Swinging an 18-inch metal hatchet, the man first hit a 24-year-old officer in the right arm — he was later taken to Jamaica Hospital in stable condition.
The suspect kept swinging, striking a second officer in the back of the head, critically injuring the 25-year-old.

The other officers fired multiple shots, killed the suspect at the scene.
A 29-year-old woman passing by was struck by gunfire in the lower back. She underwent surgery at Jamaica Hospital and is in stable condition.
(Credit: John Simonelli)

“Three rookie cops absolutely modest about what they did, thankfully all are in good condition,” Mayor De Blasio said.
The officer who sustained the wound to the back of the head was stable and alert at the hospital, where friends and family have gathered. He will be undergoing surgery for a “very serious injury to the back side of his head,” Commissioner Bratton said.
In just his first year on the job, the injured officer, who has not been identified, comes from a family of NYPD cops.

Commissioner Bratton said he doesn’t believe the photographer was working in any way with the hatchet-wielding man. Officers are now reviewing his photos from earlier in the day.
The attack happened in a bustling, commercial part of Queens. An Applebee’s restaurant, a Verizon store, several banks and a church are located nearby.
The miserable weather may have prevented additional injuries, as the sidewalks were emptier than usual thanks to a steady rain.
Authorities are looking to see if the unprovoked attack is tied to recent calls by radicals to attack military and police officers, law enforcement officials say.

That lady cop gonna troll out. I would have shot too as I have a fear of being hacked with a hatchet. Those estwings are nice too I have one I use for throwing.

In an altercation with the dynamics being as such, your ability to see beyond the threat is minimal at best, As you will be focused on the threat, which is the person attacking you, even more so on the item or weapon that he or she is using.. The human system when the adrenilan rush kicks in causes us to go into "Tunnel Vision" seeing beyond and making other assessments is not a practical expectation. So training to drop to the knee is great when you have cover.
That explains it. I've never been very dynamic. As for my background you alluded to, it's very public.

Oh but, this was clearly..... a...

DYNAMIC CRITICAL INCIDENT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom