Guy with 300 guns in house gets robbed- too many guns?

Reptile

NES Member
http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/how-many-guns-are-too-many_08132010

After responding to a burglary call at a Rockford, Illinois home, police failed to apprehend the thief but found something that is perhaps much more interesting. WTVO reports that upon entering the home of an unnamed 67 year old resident they were surprised to find a weapons cache of over 300 weapons ranging from shotguns to rifles.

The homeowner, a registered firearm owner, was out of town at the time of the burglary. According to police, the weapons were taken for safekeeping. The guns will be cross-checked against police databases to ensure they have not been used for criminal activity. (continues)

Only in IL (or other commie states) would they "take the guns for safekeeping" [thinking]

-Mike

The guns will be cross-checked against police databases to ensure they have not been used for criminal activity.

You have NO idea how much this sentence enrages me.

WHY??? What gives the police the authority to do so? No evidence that this guy has broken any laws whatsoever... but they're gonna record all the serial numbers anyway.

[Godwin's Law comment deleted because I don't feel like arguing with certain apologists tonight. Yes, if you're about to take offense at the preceding three sentences, you're one of the people I'm talking about.]

No such thing as too many guns, particularly for collectors. Although, loose lips sink ships and I don't think I could personally have the willpower to own a collection like that without telling some people [wink]

wtf? ...Theres a guy in my neighborhood who collects "Hummels" (ceramic figurines) hes got to have +300.
After reading the article,I'm wondering if a 300+ hummel collection is to much for a residential neighborhood.[laugh]..and if the police would take them for safe keeping.[thinking]

Hopefully the homeowner will have his guns returned when he gets back to town, but he’ll most certainly have a lot of questions to answer at the local police station.

Hopefully?!?!?!?

A Lot of questions to answer?!?!?!

[hmmm][angry]

If I was LE or .Gov, I'd be more worried about the dude with 1 or 2 guns and 30k of ammo for them. In my experience, most of the guys who buy gun after gun after gun, - the ones who are fixated on firearms-, tend to have daddy / mommy issues, and can't shoot for shit.

So your theory is that one who has 4 firearms will more than likely be a better shot than one who owns 50. I would love to hear the rational behind this.[popcorn]

So your theory is that one who has 4 firearms will more than likely be a better shot than one who owns 50. I would love to hear the rational behind this.[popcorn]

better shot is not necessarily true, but i'd say certainly better equipped to give someone a hard time.

What timber said has a certain amount of truth to it. There's always exceptions though.

I think the person Timber is talking about is the exception rather than the rule. The people I know with lots of guns have lots of dough (because they're successful) and no parent issues that I can see, and a lot of them can shoot pretty well.

Not trying to open a box of popcorn for you fellows, but maybe that's what's going to happen anyway.

Some people are carpenters. They drive nails for a living, or they did in the past. They tend to stick with a couple of good hammerss that they know they can drive nails with even in their sleep. They're always looking for a better nail driver, and they usually ditch the hammers that don't drive a nail as effectively as they'd like.

Other people are fixated on hammers. They collect them. For some bizarre reason, owning lots of hammers makes them feel like they're carpenters. It makes them feel strong, like they can accomplish stuff. They get all uppity on internet forums and talk about how they're going to go out there and build stuff with their hammers. Some of them even end up teaching building skills even though they've never actually used or mastered they're tools.

And when they run into a carpenter who knows how to run a hammer, they tend to keep their damn mouths shut. They don't say "Hi, I've read your posts and I'd like to compare skills." Or "I'd like to talk a little further about why you were critiquing my particulare choice of hammer."

Instead, they hide behind their keyboard, give neg reps, and try to defend their fixation with hammers, instead of learning how to become effective with that tool that makes them feel like a man.

The world needs people to develop better hammers and better nails as much as it needs carpenters, but it's the fellows inbetween who collect tools and can neither use them properly, not improve them, that drive me crazy.

In my limited experience, those are the kind of guys I was refering to.

So what about the mechanic with 500 in tools in a 5k toolbox..?...................

I've always said that if I had all the money in the world I have 3 of each.

But since I don't, everything in my inventory has to have a practical purpose. If it doesn't, it's gone and hopefully something that does have a purpose fills it's place. I'm not nearly wealthy enough to own guns simply because I like to collect them.

If I was LE or .Gov, I'd be more worried about the dude with 1 or 2 guns and 30k of ammo for them. In my experience, most of the guys who buy gun after gun after gun, - the ones who are fixated on firearms-, tend to have daddy / mommy issues, and can't shoot for shit.

Seriously? [rolleyes]

Different schools of thought, I guess. I've always seen things like forks, knives, hammers, guns, whatever, as a means to an end. I absolutely adore the design of the M1 Garand, but would never own one because it's not going to do anything in moving me forward in life.

As EC said, too, there are plenty of successful people who own multiple firearms simply because they can. I bear them no ill will, and think they should be able to own as many as they want. It's on par with collecting concrete bricks or pavers though. Just because you have them, doesn't mean you can make a sidewalk out of them.

And in my experience, the " gun nuts" tend to be buying up stuff as collectors. That's fine. But don't think just because you own them, or "lust" for another gun, that you'll ever be able to accomplish anything with them.
It's like anything - there are no absolutes, but certainly patterns, but more importantly its not for me or anyone else to decide what is "too many" for someone else...

So, its sort of moot...

I think you are right in terms of a profile of someone who will commit crime though...

What?? Gun collectors have parental issues? Do you write for the NY Times?

They tend to stick with a couple of good hammerss that they know they can drive nails with even in their sleep.

My observation is that many people with one or more safes full of guns probably do 90% of their shooting with only 1 or 2 guns of each type they use (handgun, rifle, etc.).

So if you don't have much money and shoot, you're a stud.

But, if you have ample funds because you've been successful and love to shoot AND collect, you're psychologically damaged?

Doesn't make much sense to me. Sure there are collectors who only collect and don't do much shooting, but that doesn't describe the 'gun nuts' I know.

wtf? ...Theres a guy in my neighborhood who collects "Hummels" (ceramic figurines) hes got to have +300.
After reading the article,I'm wondering if a 300+ hummel collection is to much for a residential neighborhood.[laugh]..and if the police would take them for safe keeping.[thinking]

300 Hummels isn't too much for a residential neighborhood but the guy ought to seriously think about cutting back on the Hummel buying so he can save up for the sex change.

I don't remember where I read it - but I recall reading something just like that: " you don't have to worry about the guy who buys dozens of guns - you should worry about the guy who only wants ONE ".

Back
Top Bottom