Guy who won $125k in stop and frisk case killed

A drug-dealer who scored a six-figure stop-and-frisk settlement against the city ran his mouth all over Staten Island about his windfall — and was shot dead by a robber targeting his riches.
Kenrick Gray — a petty pusher who had 22 drug ­arrests — was gunned down Tuesday, two years after getting $132,500 for being wrongly stopped by a racist cop.
“Mr. Gray recently made known throughout the neighborhood that he received the windfall and that very foolish boast did cost him his life,” a source said. “Apparently, the assailant caught wind of that and tried to rob him. There was a struggle and he was shot.”

http://nypost.com/2014/01/22/drug-d...rt-win/?_ga=1.166354878.1279829753.1390474083

I doubt he had much left after tax and 2 years, but a fool and his money and all that.

Depending on how the settlement was structured, it might have been tax free.

“Stupidity cannot be cured with money money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.”

Lazarus Long

Depending on how the settlement was structured, it might have been tax free.

Very likely tax free. Tort awards are compensating losses so it's usually making one whole (ie; giving back to them something they lost), so the calculations usually remove taxes out of the equation.

Gray was a father of two daughters and a poet and self-published author who wrote of witnessing his mother’s murder.

“It’s a fool’s thought who thinks his world will change once he becomes rich,.” he wrote in a poem, “The Thoughts Thunk with Idle Time.”

it's called graffiti !! poet? this guy was a regular Emerson!!

I don't get it... this is a guy who fought back against unconstitutional government intrusion into everyone's lives and this is how we treat him when he gets killed by a thug?

I don't get it... this is a guy who fought back against unconstitutional government intrusion into everyone's lives and this is how we treat him when he gets killed by a thug?

This. I don't care if the guy was a scumbag, he was treated poorly by JBT's and now everyone gloats that he was murdered?

Very likely tax free. Tort awards are compensating losses so it's usually making one whole (ie; giving back to them something they lost), so the calculations usually remove taxes out of the equation.

It's been a long time since I had a settlement, but there is a difference in compensatory and punitive awards. Punitive a taxed, but compensatory are not.

This. I don't care if the guy was a scumbag, he was treated poorly by JBT's and now everyone gloats that he was murdered?

Two different issues. His settlement was one issue, but that doesn't mean that he was an angel that the cops picked up at random. If you want to make all cops your enemy, that's one thing, but don't make the mistake of thinking that everyone they arrest is a pure upstanding citizen.

Miranda and Escobedo were bad guys who had their rights violated, but they were in the end still bad guys. If SCOTUS overturns Abramski's conviction, gun owners will be a bit safer from questionable prosecutions. That won't make Abramski a hero. He was being investigated by the police in connection with a bank robbery when they came across the paperwork that lead to his arrest on the straw purchase charges.

Don't conflate the issue that got him the settlement with whether or not he was a good person.

Kenrick Gray — a petty pusher who had 22 drug *arrests — was gunned down Tuesday, two years after getting

Sorry. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Would you be more comfy if it said "Drug dealer killed during robbery".

**** him. Dirt bag.

Sorry. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Would you be more comfy if it said "Drug dealer killed during robbery".

**** him. Dirt bag.

No, I wouldn't be happier if it was a drug dealer who got killed. I wouldn't be less happy.

I just tend not to be particularly giddy when people get shot by thieves.

But we can always count on NES to have every someone arguing for and against every opinion about everything. One of the things that's great about this place.

I'm not laughing at the suffering of another human being. Although it may sound like it when I [snort]. What I am laughing at is the overall situation of a man who apparently (If I am to take article at face value, which makes me nauseous to do), had NO ****ing clue on how to survive in his given environment. IF he was running around flapping his gums about how much money he had, wtf did he think was going to happen? I'm a big fan of freedom. Huge fan actually. Responsibility for the resulting (natural not government synthesized) consequences of the actions taken freedom is equally important.

I'm not laughing at the suffering of another human being. Although it may sound like it when I [snort]. What I am laughing at is the overall situation of a man who apparently (If I am to take article at face value, which makes me nauseous to do), had NO ****ing clue on how to survive in his given environment. IF he was running around flapping his gums about how much money he had, wtf did he think was going to happen? I'm a big fan of freedom. Huge fan actually. Responsibility for the resulting (natural not government synthesized) consequences of the actions taken freedom is equally important.

This X1

Two different issues. His settlement was one issue, but that doesn't mean that he was an angel that the cops picked up at random. If you want to make all cops your enemy, that's one thing, but don't make the mistake of thinking that everyone they arrest is a pure upstanding citizen.

Miranda and Escobedo were bad guys who had their rights violated, but they were in the end still bad guys. If SCOTUS overturns Abramski's conviction, gun owners will be a bit safer from questionable prosecutions. That won't make Abramski a hero. He was being investigated by the police in connection with a bank robbery when they came across the paperwork that lead to his arrest on the straw purchase charges.

Don't conflate the issue that got him the settlement with whether or not he was a good person.

If one of the lily-white members of this forum got randomly thrown up against the wall, had a gun taken off them because they weren't in possession of a valid LTC, got it thrown out and won a settlement because it was judged to be an illegal search and later got popped during a home intrusion because their only (illegal) firearm had been taken away from them, would you be pleased because it was one less scum bag law-breaker running around?

The general issue here is personal freedoms and our society. Drugs should not be illegal. Without illegal drugs, no drug dealers, no getting arrested 22 times for doing something to survive. Pretty sure this guy didn't grow up with parents or neighbors who were great role models.

Guns shouldn't be banned or restricted, either.

Nor should cops be able to randomly throw people up against the wall to search them.

All that aside, gloating because another human being died is messed up. I don't care who they are, or what sort of life they've led, nobody needs to gloat over their death. Do things happen and people die or get killed sometimes? Yes. Still no need to take pleasure in it. If you can take pleasure or joy in the death of another human being, you're a sick person and would be better off in Nazi Germany or Stalin's Russia.

If one of the lily-white members of this forum got randomly thrown up against the wall, had a gun taken off them because they weren't in possession of a valid LTC, got it thrown out and won a settlement because it was judged to be an illegal search and later got popped during a home intrusion because their only (illegal) firearm had been taken away from them, would you be pleased because it was one less scum bag law-breaker running around?

The general issue here is personal freedoms and our society. Drugs should not be illegal. Without illegal drugs, no drug dealers, no getting arrested 22 times for doing something to survive. Pretty sure this guy didn't grow up with parents or neighbors who were great role models.

Guns shouldn't be banned or restricted, either.

Nor should cops be able to randomly throw people up against the wall to search them.

All that aside, gloating because another human being died is messed up. I don't care who they are, or what sort of life they've led, nobody needs to gloat over their death. Do things happen and people die or get killed sometimes? Yes. Still no need to take pleasure in it. If you can take pleasure or joy in the death of another human being, you're a sick person and would be better off in Nazi Germany or Stalin's Russia.

You said it better than I did, by quite a wide margin.

(Except the last line)

Back
Top Bottom