Guy blows up machine gun at Manchester Firing Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

richc

NES Member
From TheFiringLine... damn:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369145

" Just a little background. Every year since 2006, I have hated my birthday. I still do. My friend died on my Bday in '06, so normally I just drink jack daniels and watch a double feature of Cool Hand Luke and Bullitt. And mope, of course. My wife has gotten tired of this. So she decided that she would ask me to take her to the range. Now, I've been trying to get her to go with me for some time, and she's always "busy". So her asking me to take her to do something that I love to do anyway, kinda woke me up a bit, and we set off. We went to Manchester Firing Line. They rent all sorts of guns there, including full autos. Normally I don't fire those, because they are ridiculously expensive to shoot, but my wife was picking up the tab. So I was checking out what they had, and I saw an H&K UMP 40. Brand spanking new, only a few hundred rounds through it. I got a quick tutorial on it from the range guy, and 200 rounds of ammo. Now, I would never just let my wife fire a gun that I am unfamiliar with, so I inspected it while she loaded up the magazine. And that's where I screwed up. I slapped in the mag and let the bolt slam forward, set the selector to single shot, and pulled the trigger. And CLICK. So I grabbed the charging handle, thinking it had failed to feed, and let it slam forward again. Click. Now I'm kinda ******, because this brand new H&K is screwing up already, and I really want to try it out. So I tried it out again, slapped the mag in hard, slammed the bolt forward, and pulled the trigger. And BOOM! Next thing I know, my arm is bleeding, and this very expensive UMP is destroyed in my hands. Long story short, The guy behind the counter had given me 9mm ammo. The worst part of it was that I couldn't even get mad at them. It was my fault for not ensuring I got the right ammo. And letting my wife load the mag. But my revenge was completely destroying that UMP. I actually had part of the chamber stuck in my arm, but still....... Tell me what you guys think. "

Wow.

But I can find about three problems here.

1. Guy goes shooting when he is not really in the mood and decides to try a brand-new (to him) gun.

2. The guy behind the counter screws up on the ammo.

3. The guy has a problem (several times in a row even) amd does not stop to analyze what is going on.

Jiminy Christmas! Coulda been worse, I guess. Glad you're still among the living. Thanks for the timely reminder to check and recheck. Not entirely your fault, but when we put our trust in others, bad outcomes are more likely.

I did something stupid today, myself. Not tellin' what it is though.

Oh, and HAPPY FRIGGIN' BIRTHDAY! Next year, stay in and watch TV.

I think there is another thread on here where someone was given the wrong ammo on a rental. He caught it though.

Glad you are still with us.

Hey! Happy birthday, and sue them for giving you the wrong ammo and making the gun part of your arm! Just think of the nice B-day gift you can by yourself!

Wow.

But I can find about three problems here.

1. Guy goes shooting when he is not really in the mood and decides to try a brand-new (to him) gun.

2. The guy behind the counter screws up on the ammo.

3. The guy has a problem (several times in a row even) amd does not stop to analyze what is going on.

Yup

hmmm it looks like MFL might have a new owner soon, disclaimer or not on any form the guy signed, there is no excuse for the counter person to provide the wrong ammo.

There are so many people who wander in there with no clue about guns I do not feel safe on that range and will not shoot there. That was based on seeing people who had no business renting automatic weapons on the firing line one afternoon.

the other forum where the link came from is calling BS until proof is provided.. was anyone there when this happened?

Last edited:
jawdrop.gif

I hope you are alright, other than what you already described. What did they say about it (i didn't read the story yet)?

On another note my wife had her father pass on her birthday, which will be in 2 weeks, So we know how you feel when it comes to birthdays.

I hope you are alright, other than what you already described. What did they say about it (i didn't read the story yet)?

I'm the OP... just want to be clear.

I read this story on a different forum and posted it here as many of us have been to MFL.

However this did not happen to me! Some other poor guy had this happen.

[grin]

I'm right there too on the bummer for birthdays. 2 days before mine my sons girlfriend that was living with us was killed in a car accident. Son was in Iraq at the time.[sad]

Interesting possibilities for civil torts on both sides, especially if the renter of the gun made a representation he knew what he was doing and them proceeded to load the wrong ammo.

I wonder - the poster claims "new". Is the MFL a licensed manufacurer; was this a post 86 dealer sample, or was this a new pre-May 19 transferable (I'm not familiar with this model and don't know if it was around in 1986)?

Most places I know that rent MGs send someone out with the gun and renter, and don't just hand someone the gun and say "have fun".

If he didn't like his birthday before, he's really hating it now. Blood and Metal in your person will have a tendancy to turn anyday into a bad one.

That sucks, but of course this will lead to some kind of law suite.

sounds fake to me
Ditto.

"New" MG - not really possible in a rental shop unless it's a post-may dealer sample.

No mention of the interaction with the staff afterwards, or any demand from the shop that he pay for the gun.

A value stated that is *way* too low if this is a transferable.

A lack of photos and other specific details.

That's like buying a Diesel Mercedes and the dealer delivering it with a full tank with GAS..........NOT Good. [frown]

Thats funny at least once a month we have a customer who's car get towed in for running rough or not starting and its because they put diesel in it instead of gas and they want toyota to pay for the repair [laugh]

part does sound fake but on the other hand if there were more than 1 round in it, it could blow couldn't it? being a newbie i would like to know. My guess is we will find out in the next couple of days either via news or the establishments website/patrons.

I'm right there too on the bummer for birthdays. 2 days before mine my sons girlfriend that was living with us was killed in a car accident. Son was in Iraq at the time.[sad]

That's too bad, it can be very rough.

I told my wife that her father hung on (from illness) just so he could be there for her birthday, seemed to help a little.

What a horrific life experience. I am so sorry to hear of that tragedy.

Best,

Rich

Ditto.

"New" MG - not really possible in a rental shop unless it's a post-may dealer sample.

Yes, but it's worth knowing that lots of MG dealers/ranges have post samples in them. Hell, I don't know that many full blown C3 FFL/SOTs that don't have at least one DS hanging around. All depends on whether or not they're successful in buttering up the local chief/sheriff/etc to get letterhead.

-Mike

Anyone know the owner over at MFL - I feel like I've seen him around on the forum... maybe he can chime in on this??

For legal reasons, it might be prudent to say little at this time.

no worries man ... not like I was there when it happened if it did happen or not , besides the fact that what do I have to hide saying that I know Jim and have done business with him many times.. anyways carry on , just wanted to say that Im sure he'll have something to say on this thats all since it affects his biz

no worries man ... not like I was there when it happened if it did happen or not , besides the fact that what do I have to hide saying that I know Jim and have done business with him many times.. anyways carry on , just wanted to say that Im sure he'll have something to say on this thats all since it affects his biz

I meant prudent for Jim to say little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom