GunVault install/placement

I need to buy a gun vault, probably for a single revolver.

I read somewhere that it may be best to keep it simple as the batteries of an electronic lock or bio-metric vault can go bad a the worst possible time.

What is the best way to keep someone from walking off with it?
Some come with security cables. Can it be bolted to the wall like some safes?

Thanks,
Bill

I would recommend against the one from GunVault. They've had some failures. Stick with a simplex lock.

Most of these have holes in the bottom under the foam that you can use to bolt it down. Realize, though, that even a relatively small pry bar can be used to break into it or pry it off the wall.

Last edited:
+1 for the simplex locks. You will never know that the battery has gone dead until you need to open the safe in a hurry.

I would most certainly bolt it down to something substantial (floor joists or wall studs) but concealment is going to be just as important. As M1911 mentioned these are pretty easy to pry off of mounting points.

As M1911 mentioned these are pretty easy to pry off of mounting points.
Or just to pry open the lid. Several years ago, columnists for "Women and Guns" magazine got several of these sorts of boxes. They gave them to my friend's then 10-year-old kids to see if they could get into them. The kids used things like a large screwdriver and were able to defeat all of them in a few minutes.

So realize what you are getting (and not getting) in terms of security.

other options?

>>I would recommend against the one from GunVault. They've had some failures. Stick with a simplex lock.

I wasn't tied to the GunVault brand. I have a 16 gun safe but it seems slow to access if I needed to in a hurry.

I thought one of the smaller vaults/safes are just what I need.

Bill

Have a Winchester evault gun safe under the bed. Lock my xD in there every night, take it out every morning. It has a key override (for when batteries fail), but it looks like it'll tell me when the batteries are low. Also, whats cool is it has a light inside when you open the door.

not much luck

The Winchester vault is electronic.
Midwayusa.com has been down all evening.
The only one I have found so far is a V-line at safesetc.com
Any other specific suggestions?
Bill

The Winchester vault is electronic.
Midwayusa.com has been down all evening.
The only one I have found so far is a V-line at safesetc.com
Any other specific suggestions?
Bill

Theres a 29 dollar keyed box which looks like you can bolt it down at Dicks.... if you're looking for something really simple... Locks in the front, door opens right if you're looking at it.

pb-201.jpg

Words like simple and cheap simply do not apply to security; you get what you pay for. My safe (Pro Steel) is full and I am interested in more storage on the second floor of my house (the safe is bolted to the floor in the cellar). This means I am looking for a lighter version of secure storage. I am now interested in a V Line safe that fits between the studs in the wall. It is best installed in the back of a closet where it might escape detection. The safe is relatively light and relies on the fact that it is bolted to the studs to prevent its removal. The price is about $400 and this is the low end of secure storage costs, IMHO. Lowe's also has a decent looking safe (half a dozen long guns and a few pistols) for about $400.

I have looked at cheaper methods of storage, and come away rather skeptical. They just don't seem to be able to protect my valuables. I'm not even sure that the V Line in the wall safe is all that secure. Any input on the V line safe would be appreciated.

I hate to say it, but the only reliable firearm security that I have ever found was big, heavy and expensive.

Tactically, and for gross motor skills, the GunVault cannot be beat. I have owned one for 7 years or so and have no failures. Mine is both battery powered and plugged in. It is bolted down next to my bed, and in an emergency, the keypad is light years better than a numeric keypad or a key. The simplex locks are nice but are not easy to use when your adrenaline is pumping and your fingers are shaking as you hear the front door being kicked in, the window shattering, or footsteps in your house. For how you train, so shall you fight. If you go Simplex, train with it often and make sure you run a sizable distance and do pushups to get your heartrate up to cause you won't be training realistically otherwise.

My gun vault has been working fine, it also has the key access just in case. I got it so I can comply with MA laws for nightstand storage. I don't have any little kids in my house. Not too concerned about it being popped open because if it is, and my gun is in there, it means I'm already dead. When I'm sleeping it's in the gun vault, when I'm awake it's on my hip or in the big safe. The gun vault does have an alarm that lets you know when the batteries are getting low.

Mini Deluxe

fewer parts to fail

Any device can fail, but I think mechanical is simpler than electrical.
Or at least there are fewer parts to fail.

Also I have a 7 year old so I have to be concerned with what he can get into or as he gets older plot to foil.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom