Gunsmiths Specializing in MP5-style firearms

Sheriff9mm

NES Member
I figured this would be the best place to ask my question....

I recently purchased a MKE branded, ATI imported 9mm MP5 clone from the Collectors Gallery in Stoneham and I'm itching to SBR it. Being that the weapon was assembled in Turkey, I've been starting to collect parts that would be 922r compliant, however my skills as a home gunsmith only go so far. I, of course, have to wait for the ATF to approve the tax stamp, but planning ahead never hurts either

The parts that I want to replace with US made parts that I can't do myself are: Hammer, Sear, Trigger, and Barrel. I probably could do the first three parts myself, however I don't want to chance it. And as I understand it, the barrels on these particular weapons are a pain to replace.

So my question is this: Are there any quality gunsmiths or shops in the MA / Southern NH area that do work do these types of firearms? I could send it out to Investment Grade Firearms, but I'd rather keep the gun local.

Replacing the hammer, sear, and trigger are as simple as putting a lego set together. If you're uncomfortable doing it I can meet you somewhere and do it for you.

As far as replacing the barrel, the big problem with that (besides being expensive and a PITA) is that the weapon has to be refinished after the barrel is replaced and you want that done by a pro like IGF or RDTS.

Last edited by a moderator:
A SBR would be exempt from the requirements of 922r (as are pistols). If it was made in Turkey and legally imported into the US then it's already 922r compliant. If you leave it as-is you won't have any issues but if you want to replace something with a non-US made part you will need to worry about 922r.

Barrels are a pain to change out and I would recommend you send it off to someone who knows what they are doing so the bolt gap ends up being correct. IGF is excellent but you'll wait a long time for it to come back. There are many other good HK shops out there you can send it to just check around on the HKPro forums and you'll find them (i'm not sure what ZHA's expertise is with MP5's though).

Also does the barrel have a fake suppressor on it? Could be as simple as drilling out the pin to remove it once you get the stamp back from the ATF.

A SBR would be exempt from the requirements of 922r (as are pistols). If it was made in Turkey and legally imported into the US then it's already 922r compliant. If you leave it as-is you won't have any issues but if you want to replace something with a non-US made part you will need to worry about 922r.

Barrels are a pain to change out and I would recommend you send it off to someone who knows what they are doing so the bolt gap ends up being correct. IGF is excellent but you'll wait a long time for it to come back. There are many other good HK shops out there you can send it to just check around on the HKPro forums and you'll find them (i'm not sure what ZHA's expertise is with MP5's though).

Also does the barrel have a fake suppressor on it? Could be as simple as drilling out the pin to remove it once you get the stamp back from the ATF.

922(r) does apply to SBRs, if you follow recent ATF opinion... http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/9324/atfresponseregardingpar.jpg

The MKE rifles imported are blocked to only use 10 round mags.

The full-size pistols have 16" barrels, but don't have any US made parts, as they are pistols.

If you want to make your full-size MKE pistol into a rifle, you have to make it 922(r) compliant yourself, SBR or not.

--EasyD

922(r) does apply to SBRs, if you follow recent ATF opinion... http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/9324/atfresponseregardingpar.jpg

The MKE rifles imported are blocked to only use 10 round mags.

The full-size pistols have 16" barrels, but don't have any US made parts, as they are pistols.

If you want to make your full-size MKE pistol into a rifle, you have to make it 922(r) compliant yourself, SBR or not.

--EasyD

Interesting find. Anyone know when 922r was updated to include firearm rather than semi-auto rifle and shotgun? In federal law SBR's have always been different in definition than rifles and this is why 922r didnt apply to SBR's and pistols. Unless 922r has been updated then the ATF letter probably won't hold up in court (not that i would want to test that).

I'd highly recommend Ralph at RDTS. He does amazing work. Or, I would probably try Stan Andrewski first if you it a must that you stay local.
Also remember that when you SBR it you also have to engrave it. Some people do this much better than others. A bad engraving job really makes a gun look awful.

"The MKE rifles imported are blocked to only use 10 round mags."
Does this mean the gun does not use standard mp5/ hk 94 mags?

+1 Stan is the man, done lots of work for me. Very high quality, he can sometimes be tough to find in the nice weather though! I have friends that have used Ralph, awesome work as well, very high quality....... He did one gun for me, cameout perfect.

Does this mean the gun does not use standard mp5/ hk 94 mags?

Yep, the MKE rifles have to be import compliant, so 10 round mags, just like H&K USCs and SL-8s. Never seen one in person, but from what I understand, they weld a block into the mag well, and have some sort of contraption single stack mag.

The pistols don't have this problem, so they use normal H&K pattern mags. Once you have the pistol imported, it can be made into a rifle, if you want to make it 922(r) compliant, and not run afoul of NFA rules... ATI is/was importing MKE pistols with 16 inch barrels to make this a bit easier to do.

--EasyD

Yep, the MKE rifles have to be import compliant, so 10 round mags, just like H&K USCs and SL-8s. Never seen one in person, but from what I understand, they weld a block into the mag well, and have some sort of contraption single stack mag.

This is true. MKE welded two small metal rods that go up the front corners of the magwell, and the 10-round magazine that they give you has slots cut into the mag body that match up. Also, in order to pass the importation laws, the trigger housing / pistol grip and stock are welded together as one piece, and there are blocks inside the receiver that prevent the use of a full-auto bolt carrier assembly. It's pretty annoying, but they are some of the best looking clone MP5s i've seen and it runs like a champ.

Though, due to the cost of this project, it looks like i'm gonna be stretching it out over several months to get it done.

Sounds like too much of a pain in the butt to me and alot of $$ to invest and not be able to use real MP5 magazines with.

I would also ask ATF about modifying the receiver in any way. That could be some seriously bad juju. Unless the cost of the host was obscenely expensive, even after all of the smithing work to turn it into what you want. You would probably be better off saving the pennies and buying something closer to a real HK.

This is true. MKE welded two small metal rods that go up the front corners of the magwell, and the 10-round magazine that they give you has slots cut into the mag body that match up. Also, in order to pass the importation laws, the trigger housing / pistol grip and stock are welded together as one piece, and there are blocks inside the receiver that prevent the use of a full-auto bolt carrier assembly. It's pretty annoying, but they are some of the best looking clone MP5s i've seen and it runs like a champ...

Though, due to the cost of this project, it looks like i'm gonna be stretching it out over several months to get it done.

OK so the mag well I can "follow" (picture in my head), but how/where is the bolt block??? And my biggest question if the stock is now welded to the trigger housing, does that mean you cant swap out stocks/housings??? I tried looking at pics on-line and cant figure it out for sure, how does the housing "attach" up front, does it have the standard "semi shelf"???

Sounds like too much of a pain in the butt to me and alot of $$ to invest and not be able to use real MP5 magazines with.

I would also ask ATF about modifying the receiver in any way. That could be some seriously bad juju. Unless the cost of the host was obscenely expensive, even after all of the smithing work to turn it into what you want. You would probably be better off saving the pennies and buying something closer to a real HK.

So far I'm with these guys...If it was a "real" HK product, Ok maybe I could see getting one and "un-neutering" it, but see no reason to go through all the hassle for a clone. Unless they are giving these guns away (which looking on GB, they aren't) I'm not sure what benefit there is to these guns over the any of the other clones out there. Hell I had one of the first SW5's, up close may not have won any beauty contest, but 5 feet away they all look the same...if they shoot right whats the difference they are still all knock offs...

So far I'm with these guys...If it was a "real" HK product, Ok maybe I could see getting one and "un-neutering" it, but see no reason to go through all the hassle for a clone. Unless they are giving these guns away (which looking on GB, they aren't) I'm not sure what benefit there is to these guns over the any of the other clones out there. Hell I had one of the first SW5's, up close may not have won any beauty contest, but 5 feet away they all look the same...if they shoot right whats the difference they are still all knock offs...

If you are serious about going this route, I would get a letter from the ATF tech branch spelling out (in writing) that any sort of modification to the receiver is allowed. And further clarification that if you ever take the registered sear off you are not in violation of a bunch of laws regarding manufacturing an illegal assault weapon, as w/o the sear it will be considered a non exempt title 1 gun.

Basically, it's there is no way to use a MKE gun as a host for a sear. Once you modify the receiver to accept a full-auto carrier, you just made another machine gun. (The MKE guns kinda, sorta, have a push-pin for the trigger pack...)

If your desire is to never have a full-auto H&K style gun, they are awesome, just skip the rifle! Buy a pistol, and have a FFL/SOT do a Form 2 to AOW/SBR/etc it, and sell it to you.

--EasyD

Last edited:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=356&t=183748

The above link from AR15.com contains pics of all the modifications that MKE made to be able to be imported, as well as a letter from the BATFE about the importation compliance. I wouldn't modify the receiver at all for fear of the legalities, instead going the route of modifying magazines to fit. I have no ambition of going full auto due to the cost of parts and such, so this is going to stay a semi-suto gun. The pistol grip / stock combination just pull off in one piece, and other trigger groups / stocks will fit the receiver.

The gentleman in this forum is doing similar upgrades that I plan on doing. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=55543

Back
Top Bottom