• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunsmithing.

You know, I was wondering if there are any MA schools that are offering a Gunsmithing Program. Or even a class.

I would think that there could be come money in such a curriculum.

I know that I would like to take a basic course just to be able to do some minor repairs and upgrades.

I know that there are books out there. But that's what I hate. I went through College with Honors just because I never missed a class. And I rarely read my books.

I need to learn by seeing and doing and asking questions. And until books can do that, I'm screwed. Don't get me wrong, a book is OK. But I just don't get it as quickly as doing it in person with an instructor.

Anyway, I don't know if there's a school around here that offers this, or if there are people here that will teach it. But I think that it would be cool to do...

And I know that I can't be the only one here that would like to take such a class.

SigArms and S&W (in this area) run courses for Armorers . . . specifically targeted at their guns. Many of these courses are aimed at training LE to maintain their guns themselves.

Glock, H&K, etc. offer similar courses, but at their US factory locations AFAIK.

Back when we had a pro-gun chief, I know a few people (who weren't FT LEOs) who our late chief sponsored so that they could attend these schools. IIRC you had to be sponsored by a LE organization. Too bad I wasn't interested back then, I know he would have sponsored me.

I'm not aware of anything other than tapes/CDs for visual training for general (not brand specific) gunsmithing.

Also be aware that being a gunsmith (for others) in MA falls under the same FFL restrictions (must be in a commercially zoned building, yada, yada, yada) in order to get the gunsmith FFL and State equivalent. This shut down most MA gunsmiths back when the 1998 law was implemented. :(

There is a AGI video series with chapters on a lot of different guns. They also have more generic types on gunsmithing subjects.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=188&title=AMERICAN+GUNSMITHING+INSTITUTE+VIDEO+ARMORER'S+COURSES

The closest gunsmithing school to New England that I know of is in Pennsylvania. If you're interested do a Google search and you'll find it.

Sorry, I misread your post. For some reason, I thought you were looking for videos in addition to classes.

It would be nice to take a class.

Back
Top Bottom