Gunsmithing screwdriver set reccomendations

I was poking around on Midway looking to pick up some gunsmithing screwdrivers, as I've been told that they are flat-ground, instead of rounded like normal screwdrivers (true?).

I DEFINITELY only want to use approved tools for fiddlin wit m'weapons.

What sucks is that the reviews are kinda all over the place. I don't want to have to spend $100 on a 88-piece set, as it's overkill. I want something basic, but of quality craftsmanship.

One review stated that his struggle to find a good set has got him thinking if he should go back to getting Craftsman or Snap-On tools and grinding down the tips.

I would prefer solid screwdrivers, and not just tips and a driver, but not a deal-breaker.

You need screwdrivers where the long flat parts of the bits are parallel, not slanted in a wedge shape. Typical utility screwdrivers like Craftsman, Husky and Cobalt have a wedge shaped bit. If yuo use tips + Bit, the key is to tighten the setscrew that holds the tip and extension in so it feels solid.

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-smithing-grace-usa-gun-care-screwdriver-set-2.shtml

http://www.chapmanmfg.com/HardCaseKit.html.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/cont...he_B_Square_32_Piece_Gunsmith_Screwdriver_Kit

I picked up a set of Wheeler screwdrivers from Midway and they are great. Two handles and a bunch of different tips, including allen/hex and others. It is a pleasure taking apart my guns for cleaning now that I have tools that really fit perfectly.

I got the complete set if magna-tips from brownells. Pricey but it's got everything

I did the same. Great screwdrivers, but pricey. My thinking is they'll last my lifetime and my son's lifetime, and maybe more. The complete set has anything and everything you could ever need. They have smaller sets that contain all the most common items.

They have a torque screwdriver handle that has been really helpful in torquing screws on scopes. Maybe I'm just anal about that, but the last thing I want to do is over tighten an expensive piece of glass and mess it up.

I'm in metrowest. If you're around this area I'm glad to show you the set

best,

Rich

I bought a Chapman set back in the 1980s when I was out in Colorado Springs on business. Still use it all the time. Either Midway or Brownells still sell them. It was a wise investment.

I did the same. Great screwdrivers, but pricey. My thinking is they'll last my lifetime and my son's lifetime, and maybe more. The complete set has anything and everything you could ever need. They have smaller sets that contain all the most common items.

They have a torque screwdriver handle that has been really helpful in torquing screws on scopes. Maybe I'm just anal about that, but the last thing I want to do is over tighten an expensive piece of glass and mess it up.

I'm in metrowest. If you're around this area I'm glad to show you the set

best,

Rich

I bought the big screwdriver set from Brownells also. I paid over $100 for it and didn't even flinch. Do you reslly want to work on your $1000 gun with a $2 tool?

Chapman is great with replacement bits, but you'll generally get an invoice with the part - for something like $.50. Who knows, it may be up to a dollar by now.

The advantage of the Brownells "Professional" screwdriver set is that you get blades in various widths and thickness so that you can get a perfect fit. This goes a long way in preventing damage to the screw or the firearm.

The advantage of the Brownells "Professional" screwdriver set is that you get blades in various widths and thickness so that you can get a perfect fit. This goes a long way in preventing damage to the screw or the firearm.

The Wheeler set I got is like that too. But, I am a big fan of doing business with Brownells as well as Midway, so I am sure both are fine.

True of the Chapman set as well.

Didn't mean to post a question than run away. GF and I have a policy: when sports are on, she gets the laptop!

Plus everyday this week was over 10-11, so I haven't had the time to be on NES at all.

I think that I will probably go with the Chapman full-length set. I'm glad that the tip sets have gotten good reviews. If I wasn't trying to save for a house, then I would definitely shell out the money for a big set.

Hi everyone,

My name is Joel from Chapman MFG. I can't believe this thread is 5 years old and we're still getting hits on our website from it!

We're still in making USA tools in Durham Connecticut, but since 2011 we've come out with a Master Set which has been extremely popular with gunsmiths and sportsmen. It has our 12 slotted bits from our older 9600 & 8900 sets, plus SAE & Metric allen hex, star bits for scopes and mounts, Phillips, and more. It also has our new 2" extension and a spinner for more direct/precision contact with the screw. http://chapmanmfg.com/products/master-kit-5575

The guys and gals over at SIG forum had a lot of great things to say about our set: http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4340029204

If anyone is interested in that set, I'm going to offer you the same deal I offered on the SIG Forum! Use the code NortheastShooters between now and 5/25/16 to save 10% of the cost of a Master Set #5575. The list price is $112 but it's on sale and with the code its $95.30 total including priority 3 day shipping in the USA. We also recently came out with really nice electroplated two tone ratchets in orange, blue, black or red. Please leave a note with the color of your choice and I'll swap one in for free. The code will work for multiple sets in the same or different orders.

Every branch of the US military uses our tools, including snipers and Navy Seals. We celebrated our 80th year in business in January, and our tools are still made from USA materials in the same shop (by many of the same people) since 1965. We're a small company (less than 15 of us) and I really appreciate people posting about our tools, we have a tiny ad budget so the majority of our business is from customer recommendations.

Any questions please e-mail me at [email protected] or give Peggy and Rebecca a call in the office at 860-349-9228.

Thanks again,
Joel Camassar
Marketing
Chapman MFG

If you use a Chapman, or any other set, you will lose or break tips. It goes with the territory.

Chapman is very good about selling replacement bits, and doing so without adding a shipping charge many times the price of the bit.

If you use a Chapman, or any other set, you will lose or break tips. It goes with the territory.

Chapman is very good about selling replacement bits, and doing so without adding a shipping charge many times the price of the bit.

That's right, all of our slotted bits are available open stock for $1.30 each, which is a lot cheaper than replacing an engraved/antique/hand-cut gun screw! Depending on how many bits you order we can ship them inexpensively for $3-$5. We have to ship them First Class now and can't put them in a letter envelope because anything not flexible jams the sorting equipment at the Post Office.

Good stuff! I bought the 9600 (in the red case) back in 1982 (when I visited a gun shop in Colorado Springs on a business trip) and it still sits in my gun cleaning/toolbox as my go-to tool kit. I have broken the tip of one or two bits over the years and have yet to replace them.

I Second the Brownell's Magna-Tip screw driver set. I have been a professional gunsmith for about a decade, and these are the only bits I will use. Been through every other set listed on here and broken them all (wheeler probably being the 2nd best kit listed. awesome parts, but too flimsy for long term use). Still have most of my magna-tips from gunsmithing school. They are pricey, but you get what you pay for. Simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom