Gunsmithing/Pin and Weld

TriggeredFinger

NES Member
Looking for a gunsmith in the Boston area or South Shore that could install, then pin and weld a muzzle on 2-3 AR barrels.

It seems as though this is getting harder to find, with crazy wait times and limited availability. Any recommendations out there?

Looking for a gunsmith in the Boston area or South Shore that could install, then pin and weld a muzzle on 2-3 AR barrels.

It seems as though this is getting harder to find, with crazy wait times and limited availability. Any recommendations out there?
Yes. Go see Steve at Northeast Arms in Peabody. @sschevy

Honestly there has to be at least 15 places
Boston-south to have this done.
Problem is many smiths are awful at advertising their services or go strictly on word of mouth which can be good or bad.
A pin and weld can be done with little effort.
1100+ degree solder can cause some problems.
Will need some heat sink past or other methods. The 1200'F can anneal the steel. I dont know how much heat treating is done to barrel steel? It can definitely discolor metal and finishes.

i think this is why you see a lot of pin and weld. You can hid that small weld easier than trying to touch up the finish if the heat discolors it.

Go to your favorite gun shop and see who they recommend for a smith.

Or just go to HD and buy a MAPP torch and order some 1100 degree silver solder from Brownells. ATF compliant and way easier.

I’d be game to do this in-house. If I purchased something like this and took a MAPP + silver solder to it, I’m assuming that would be ATF/MA-compliant?

Honestly there has to be at least 15 places
Boston-south to have this done.
Problem is many smiths are awful at advertising their services or go strictly on word of mouth which can be good or bad.
A pin and weld can be done with little effort.
1100+ degree solder can cause some problems.
Will need some heat sink past or other methods. The 1200'F can anneal the steel. I dont know how much heat treating is done to barrel steel? It can definitely discolor metal and finishes.

i think this is why you see a lot of pin and weld. You can hid that small weld easier than trying to touch up the finish if the heat discolors it.

Go to your favorite gun shop and see who they recommend for a smith.
Ho much would a person have to outlay to get set up just to do P&Ws. I know very little about welding.

I’d be game to do this in-house. If I purchased something like this and took a MAPP + silver solder to it, I’m assuming that would be ATF/MA-compliant?

I'll defer to others on whether the brake you want is ATF compliant. Most of what I have read over the years on NES is that if it's marketed as a brake, it's generally a brake, and if marketed as a flash hider then verboten in PRM. The brake in the link certainly looks like a run of the mill brake to me.

MAPP and 1100 degree silver solder is easy. There's a good how-to thread somewhere -- I think ARFCOM. I would recommend getting the thermal paste goop stuff to cover the end of the barrel before the threads, and make sure you know where you want to have it indexed with a crush washer before starting (though maybe not a big deal since the solder will keep the brake where you want it).

Ho much would a person have to outlay to get set up just to do P&Ws. I know very little about welding.
Not cheap. I picked up TIG/stick welding when I retired to my farm. A basic, decent TIG setup (which makes welding a pin fairly easy) will cost over $500. My starter kit was $800. Then you really want a drill press to do the pin hole. All in all, I don’t think it would be worth it if all you wanted to do was pin/weld your own brakes (unless you plan on building yourself 40 or 50 ARs 😳). Also, you can’t do it for friends and family without your 07 FFL. If you have other reasons that you might like to pick up welding, being able to do your own muzzle devices is a plus, but not enough to justify the time and expense. Just my opinion.

ETA: Big plus was my neighbor down the road from me is a professional welder and was kind enough to give me some instruction. Not sure I’d want to try it all on my own.

Install the brake yourself, Drill it yourself, install the pin yourself, then take it to any muffler or welding shop and have the guy put it in a vise and do a 1 second mig on it. Carefully file it smooth and refinish the tiny spot.

Back
Top Bottom