Gunsmithing license question

So after a visit to the mill, a kind fellow was telling me about the licenses he needed to conduct business as I was intrigued. He mentioned that his gunsmithing license is the one that gets him the ability to own and possess standard capacity magazines, essentially exempt from our magazine laws.

I read through forums here and did the old google search and could not find any concrete evidence of that being true. Does anyone with a gunsmithing license know the benefits of owning only a gunsmithing license (part of an 01ffl I believe?)

he may as a FFL be able to own them as inventory for his store, able to sell to LEO's and out of state, but no way in hell he can use post 6/94 high capacity magazines in his personal weapon in his shop, on his person, in his home or anywhere else without risking getting jammed up

Randy may well chime in, but it's the Mass dealers license that makes the FFL exempt from the AWB. Jack.
Correct Jack. The MA Dealers license is what gives you the exemption from the AWB and the restriction on possessing large capacity magazines. The 07 FFL allows you to lawfully possess suppressors (MA law, not addressing federal need for SOT or tax stamp)

The additional two state licenses, gunsmithing and ammo sales, grant you nothing beyond what the license themselves say in their titles.

For clarity the MA dealers license is a "License to Sell, Rent or Lease Firearms, Rifles, Shotguns or Machine Guns"

exempt to the point of legalizing post 94 hi caps in their personal guns?
Remember that when the FFL/SOT brings in/makes guns suppressors, etc., the items are logged into the bound book as dealer inventory. If/when the FFL goes out of business and is sitting there with the post ban guns/suppressors on Forms 2&3 and post '94 hi cap mags, now what? Talking Mass now. Randy? Jim? I'll go make the popcorn now. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom