gunsmith to cut a barrel

garyz

NES Member
looking for suggestions for gunsmith, on the south shore (i'm in brockton) to cut a barrel down.
gun is an iwi uzi, 22lr so i can't just buy a new barrel.

thx
gary

looking for suggestions for gunsmith, on the south shore (i'm in brockton) to cut a barrel down.

thx
gary
give greg derr a call , im not sure when his slow season is , but im sure he could cut and crown that IF hes not super busy building 1911s
Other than that any good machine shop could do that....does the barrrel come off easily?
Being a 22 it would not be hard to cut and crown yourself.

Last edited:

thx
gary
Oooo....is it going to look like this?

MnSWxeL.jpg

It's one of my favorite SBRs. I learned a lot from SRB-ing it, so if you want to know anything, drop me a PM and we can discuss.

ETA: Since I guess it's not obvious, this is the same IWI .22LR Uzi the OP is talking about, not an actual 9mm Uzi carbine. I removed the barrel, and had it cut down and re-threaded.

Started life like this:

IMG_0816.JPG

Then I had the barrel cut down and threaded:

IMG_E5018.JPG

And then I cut down the barrel "shroud", and added a barrel cap from a Walther P22:

IMG_E5035.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure if gunsmith at Gartman is open now last I saw they closed for awhile
As for removing the barrel. From what I have found online. It’s a p i t a. Have to split the shell open. Not like regular uzi. Barrel doesn’t just come out after removing the nut.
not sure how short I want to go. Barrel is really thin without the shroud. Don’t really like the look without it. Thinking maybe. 3” faux suppressor type covering.
will make some calls after holiday
Thx
Garyz

Reached out to Santurri $150 for cut and thread.
looks like gunsmith at Gartman sis closed until further notice
Any other suggestions. Just want to have options if there out there
Thanks to Scott’s for info and pics
Th
Gary

More people need lathes and vertical mills. Unless it's a serialized part, does it need to go to a gunsmith ?
The way i read up on it you me and anyone can make parts but we can not work on guns for others with out a license.
Can someone pull a barrel off a rifle and bring it to a machine shop to have it worked on. Most likely yes.
Do they need to be a licensed smith or manufacture to remove the barrel and install it.
Federal law leads me to believe yes, state laws?
i gave up on the licensing stuff in 2004 . i dont have the property or means to rent property to have any sort of licensed business. Fun stuff
i dont think its a crime to let someone borrow tools to do the job.

oh yeah a lathe and a mill would be nice. Tooling is like ammo expensive

Last edited:
Made it to Gartman this weekend. Gunsmith is closed for good
I don’t have the tools or knowledge to cut it myself. So I’m ok paying someone else.
just waiting for the email with my stamp now. The I’ll call Santurri

Back
Top Bottom