Gunsmith Recommendations

Shawnyc

NES Member
Time to replace the RMR batteries on a Glock 19. Stubborn screws will not loosen. I use blue Loctite and never had trouble removing screws. Before I strip them all to hell is there a gunsmith in Southeast MA that could get them out?

Time to replace the RMR batteries on a Glock 19. Stubborn screws will not loosen. I use blue Loctite and never had trouble removing screws. Before I strip them all to hell is there a gunsmith in Southeast MA that could get them out?
Try purple loctite next time.
Loctite 222
Blue is to much for that screw size.

Will try heating them up a bit and see if that works. If not I’m calling one of the above smiths. Thank you all!

Soldering iron on the srews, then back them out. Softens the loctite.
Another technique is to put the driver in the screws (easiest if hex/torx/spline or variant thereof) and heat the driver with a propand or maap torc to deliver heat directly to the screw.

If you screw it up, Santurri will probably charge you extra to get the screw out and you will need new ones.

RMR is on a Glock 19MOS so I’m using the hardware it came with. RMR was attached to the slide with a Wheeler torque screwdriver.
What bit and are you securing the slide in a solid mount/vice or are you holding gun in hands or between legs when attempting to loosen.
What torque on those screws

I always read these threads hoping there would be new gunsmiths mentioned like its an expanding trade,..

I had the same issue and had to use a micro stripped screw kit. Buy a bag of screws and go with purple loktite as suggested, tossing screws yearly.

Hopefully you used the correct screws. I remember the nightmare of obtaining the correct screws for the RMR on my G34 MOS. Silly me thinking that either Glock or Trijicon would be able to provide them. I had to get a bag from a place called Battlewerx.

A couple of things when if comes to small screws and mounting optics:
- Degrease your screws and screw holes
- Torque values are real: Use a torque limiting driver and DON'T OVER TIGHTEN! DON'T OVER TIGHTEN! DON'T OVER TIGHTEN!
- Use fresh threadlocker, and a little dab will do you. It's not spackle or bondo, its job is to keep the screw in place and if you use too much can cause all kinds of problems especially on screws like an RMR that have to come in and out every year or two to change the battery.
-Wait 24 hours to let the threadlocker set before shooting your gun.
-Blue Loctite is totally fine as long as you follow the previous directions.
-Throw away the screws that came with your glock or RMR (Dont you dare use anything from Home Depot) use proper high grade steel torx screws like these:

Loctite sells "anti" Loctite solvent. It's basically a solvent specifically made for cyanoacrylates. Acetone will also work in a pinch, but to a slower extent. The problem is getting it to penetrate where you need it, given the tiny screws/screw holes and anaerobic nature of Loctite curing (ie. no space for fluid to really soak in).

A couple of things when if comes to small screws and mounting optics:
- Degrease your screws and screw holes
- Torque values are real: Use a torque limiting driver and DON'T OVER TIGHTEN! DON'T OVER TIGHTEN! DON'T OVER TIGHTEN!
- Use fresh threadlocker, and a little dab will do you. It's not spackle or bondo, its job is to keep the screw in place and if you use too much can cause all kinds of problems especially on screws like an RMR that have to come in and out every year or two to change the battery.
-Wait 24 hours to let the threadlocker set before shooting your gun.
-Blue Loctite is totally fine as long as you follow the previous directions.
-Throw away the screws that came with your glock or RMR (Dont you dare use anything from Home Depot) use proper high grade steel torx screws like these:
Blue works but I feel when manufactures supply blue loctite with the tiny screws like 6-32 and 8-32 they only do so because the blue is the cheapest and they probably feel like the installer is going to not apply it correctly and over torque to boot.

Blue works but I feel when manufactures supply blue loctite with the tiny screws like 6-32 and 8-32 they only do so because the blue is the cheapest and they probably feel like the installer is going to not apply it correctly and over torque to boot.
Blue or purple are fine. The torque spec and de greasing are the most important things.
Threadlockers only job is to keep a screw from rotating.
Everyone loves to really snug up screws but especially for small screws this is just making the screw weaker and more likely to fail. People really don't like to follow instructions.
I've installed dozens of RMR's with blue loctite and never had a problem with a screw failing, rotating, or not being able to remove with size 4,6,8 screws.

Everyone loves to really snug up screws

After I was hired by Xerox to work field service I was sent to the training academy in Leesburg Virginia to get training on the various machines I would be fixing. The instructor totally emphasized about the evils of over torquing screws. He used to say "Don't be a Jack Armstrong and over tighten." In fact he had certificates printed up with a cartoon image of dude with big arms and anyone who had stripped or broken a fastener during the training was awarded the "Jack Armstrong Award". That was one award I was glad not to receive.

Blue or purple are fine. The torque spec and de greasing are the most important things.
Threadlockers only job is to keep a screw from rotating.
Everyone loves to really snug up screws but especially for small screws this is just making the screw weaker and more likely to fail. People really don't like to follow instructions.
I've installed dozens of RMR's with blue loctite and never had a problem with a screw failing, rotating, or not being able to remove with size 4,6,8 screws.
What are you torquing them too? Just curious

What are you torquing them too? Just curious
That's a tender subject.
fittingimplant10_360x.jpg

what if the screws i have seem to not tighten at all and i feel like its just not long enough doesn't looked stripped ? haven't been able to install it at all !

Back
Top Bottom