Gunsmith recommendation: Near Norwood, MA

I have a new to me CMP service grade Garand. The gas cylinder assembly is a bit loose in the barrel splines, so the front sight has a bit of wobble. I need to have the barrel splines peened some to make for a tight fit. This could be a home job for most, but I live in a small apartment, so most of my gunsmithing occurs on the floor and not on a proper bench.

Anyone ever use Neponset Valley Gunsmiths in Norwood? Or does anyone else have a recommendation for a good gunsmith?

I imagine this would be cheap, maybe 1/2 hr of work. I'd like to find a good gunsmith though, because I may have more work in the future that requires a higher level of skill.

Any advice much appreciated.

No idea about the Norwood place you mentioned other than I know where they are located.

G&N in Wrentham. Tim and Steve are great

Another recommendation for Tim, G&N advertises here and has done a number of jobs for me, all turned out great.

This ^^^
Greg Derr is great too but he's down in Marshfield so a bit further away

I haven't been to Greg's in a number of years but he once told me that he didn't work on long guns. And when I toured his shop, it was all handguns that he was working on.

Another not as local place is Dave Santuri in N. Attleboro just behind the RAT (IIRC it is Rt. 152). I've heard lots of good things about him and he does work on long guns.

I had some revolver work done by neponset valley gunsmiths. Took a fair bit longer than estimated, but good work and friendly people.

I second Dave Santurri. He has done various jobs for me over the years on rifles and handguns. ALWAYS top notch work.

Do you have a socket set and a hammer? If so do it yourself. All you need to do is lay a socket, a deep one if you have it, on the splines with the barrel on a piece of wood and give it a rap. Repeat on all 3 splines. You aren't trying to flatten the splines, just roll them a little bit. Hit it easy and check to see how the gas cylinder fits. If it needs more rap it a little bit harder. Even if you have to tap the gas cylinder on it isn't a bad thing. Just make sure you don't flatten the splines.

If you are going to a gunsmith I also recommend Dave Santurri, santurriltd.com

Pretty sure Len is right, Greg Derr is handguns only.
If you want to bring it to OCSA for the sprint CMP match in April, give it to Franko. Irascible little Italian guy, but GREAT with the Garand platform. I had him complete the job started by CMP, with my special grade whatever-it-was (new production stock had to be relieved, foregrip tightened, gas cylinder tightened, and a free education on lube points and quantities when he handed it back (with the test target he shot.)

I may as well jump in with the same two suggestions everyone else has made. Tim at G&N or Dave Santurri

Thanks for the advice folks. I think I'm going to go ahead and peen it myself. But I wasn't aware of G&N, so I'll keep them in mind for any future work.

Back
Top Bottom