gunsmith for old gun repairs?

I bought a Stevens Favorite .22 at an auction. I should have looked it over more carefully before buying it. At the very least, it needs a new extractor. I've asked a couple local gunsmiths about it, but they haven't been very interested - they work more on custom guns, accurizing, installing sights, etc. Does anyone have experience with a New England area (ideally central NH) gunsmith that repairs old guns?
thanks,
brian

Sir_M's point is well taken - unless you paid a lot for it, it's a good "project".

In fact, a Stevens was one of my first "mods", long long ago. I took a Stevens action, a random .22 barrel, and a chambering reamer. I took the barrel to Minuiteman Tech (Like I said, this was long ago, when I was in High School), and cut the barrel down, and crowned it in their lathe (I was taking after-school Machine Shop).

I cut the extractor notch with a file IIRC.....damn thing actually worked pretty well....[laugh]

Thanks for all the tips & feedback. I'll try fixing it myself and will keep all the recommendations, as I also have a Great Western Arms SAA that needs some work.
brian

I have an old Favorite and had to replace the extractor. The only source I know of is Wisners. They are a bit of a pain to install yourself and took a little custom fitting of the extractor toung, but it's doable.

I'm not sure where you're located, but there is an old gunsmith/machinist on rte. 1 in Wrentham, Ma. who did some work on a couple of 100 year old rifles for us. His prices were very reasonable. The man has a wealth of knowlege and is a true gunsmith in every sense of the word. The place is called Gartman Arms.

I'm not sure where you're located, but there is an old gunsmith/machinist on rte. 1 in Wrentham, Ma. who did some work on a couple of 100 year old rifles for us. His prices were very reasonable. The man has a wealth of knowlege and is a true gunsmith in every sense of the word. The place is called Gartman Arms.

You mean the crazy German...? LOL....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom