Gunsmith for Front Sight

RyanMc

NES Member
I’ve got a Tikka T1X that I love, but being the lowest end in their lineup, it’s missing a few things like a front iron sight. I’ve got a picatinny rail on back so rear sight is fine. But I need a gunsmith to permanently attach a high quality front sight. Any recommendations for someone to drill/tap a barrel?

Thanks in advance!

I’ve got a Tikka T1X that I love, but being the lowest end in their lineup, it’s missing a few things like a front iron sight. I’ve got a picatinny rail on back so rear sight is fine. But I need a gunsmith to permanently attach a high quality front sight. Any recommendations for someone to drill/tap a barrel?

Thanks in advance!
You can get a bolt on front sight, kinda ghetto but it works

Is that barrel diameter large enough to even drill / tap / pin or even mill a dovetail?

Great question. I’m not qualified to judge that but it seems fairly thick.

It does have a threaded end and I had hoped to find a sight mount that threads on, but most seem custom or for Rugers, Winchesters, and Marlins.

Tikka does have some accessories on their more expensive models that aren’t in their parts catalog.

Thanks in advance!
What are you running for a rear sight?

Thanks in advance!
Any decent smith can Drill and tap for a williams front sight base.
Tikka makes ones also.

There are bolt on options also,
I think its highly dependent of what you want to use for a rear sight and end goal.
You could hook that Tx1 up with some nice match sights

The end goal is to have an entry level rifle for biathlon that’s also used for 100 yard shooting for future competition. Basically, trying to make the rifle do the job of two future rifles while I learn. Eventually, I’ll hand the Tikka down to my son who loves the rifle.

If you’re looking for a nice light weight chassis for it. I have an XLR Element chassis that I’m going to be selling

The end goal is to have an entry level rifle for biathlon that’s also used for 100 yard shooting for future competition. Basically, trying to make the rifle do the job of two future rifles while I learn. Eventually, I’ll hand the Tikka down to my son who loves the rifle.
Then your looking for "match" sights.
What is the diameter of the barrel?
Something like this

That’s the right site for sure. However, the Williams people said it won’t fit!!

I talked with the Biathlon club in Harvard and am going to borrow a dedicated rifle for the race this weekend.

Appreciate all the advice and links.

That’s the right site for sure. However, the Williams people said it won’t fit!!

I talked with the Biathlon club in Harvard and am going to borrow a dedicated rifle for the race this weekend.

Appreciate all the advice and links.
At what sights cost , maybe a better option is putting that $400+ on sights and gunsmith fees into a used biathlon rifle ?
Im not into skiing but I do like 22lr , and would love a straight pull rifle set up with match sights.

oh one last thing. Have you run that tikka in the cold and snow?

At what sights cost , maybe a better option is putting that $400+ on sights and gunsmith fees into a used biathlon rifle ?
Im not into skiing but I do like 22lr , and would love a straight pull rifle set up with match sights.

Like most niche sports, biathlon rifles are expensive used and exorbitant new. I’m in touch with the guy who runs the Harvard biathlon group. He’s going to get me in touch with the right gunsmith.

I’m going to give the Tikka some range time this weekend at Westford. It did well during a few cold afternoons once warmed up.

Like most niche sports, biathlon rifles are expensive used and exorbitant new. I’m in touch with the guy who runs the Harvard biathlon group. He’s going to get me in touch with the right gunsmith.

I’m going to give the Tikka some range time this weekend at Westford. It did well during a few cold afternoons once warmed up.
very much so..... I have "wasted" plenty of money putting "match sights" on 22s that really had no business getting match sights. Although I like aperture style sights when Ever I can get them on a rifle.

Proper biathlon rifles are ridiculously overpriced. The only options with fortner actions are Anschutz or Izmash. Thanks to the ridiculous import ban on Russian firearms, the affordable option that would be perfect for amateurs is no longer imported and used Izmash rifles are very inflated. Anschutz rifles are great and you pay for the quality but an amateur biathlete doesn't need a $4k Anschutz. The Lost Nation build using a Savage Mark II receiver is the best option that I have seen if you want something with proper biathlon sights and a stock. Otherwise just have a gunsmith drill and tap a front sight ramp onto your Tikka, put a Globe front sight and get a rear aperture sight. That's what I did with my CZ455 and it's good enough for the occasional amateur biathlon.

After searching SnipersHide forum posts, I found the GRS stocks for the Tikka. Some gunsmith work hit the front site, and a rear peep sight with picatinny figment. A basic sling and a few spare mags. I think I’m getting close. Still a helluva lot cheaper than an Anschutz.

After searching SnipersHide forum posts, I found the GRS stocks for the Tikka. Some gunsmith work hit the front site, and a rear peep sight with picatinny figment. A basic sling and a few spare mags. I think I’m getting close. Still a helluva lot cheaper than an Anschutz.
Keep us updated with some pics.

Back
Top Bottom