• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunsmith Around Boston? Need help with Ruger MK III

Why would you ever take it apart? Hose it down with non chlorinated brake cleaner or some other cleaning substance that won't destroy it, then blow it out real good with air hose from your compressor (canned air if you're an apartment dweller), then thoroughly hose it down with Ballistol. If you're feeling frisky use .22 bore snake on bore with some Hoppe's #9, maybe spray bore with some Ballistol if it's a blued gun to prevent rust. Then proceed to drink beer and enjoy the fact that you didn't just spend 4 hours trying to put the damn thing back together.

I've taken mine apart two times. Once when I first got it and once to install some trandemkross parts.

I'd need to watch every video guide out there if I were to take it apart again

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeY9s2TYAOk

This is a video from Ruger and should help you with your dilemma. I have been there and done that along with many others. If you took the barrel off, it is very difficult to reposition it correctly so the main spring bolt stop pin goes in. There is no positive stop for the barrel fitting onto the receiver. A design flaw to be sure. I usually try and fit the bolt stop pin in from the top of the barrel to ensure proper alignment and use a light weight plastic hammer to nudge things along slowly. Good luck.

Once you get this thing back together, get the Volquartzen trigger kit with the magazine disconnect bushing. Having that bushing in place makes reassembly much easier.

Hi,
I (along with others from what I read) are having trouble reassembling my Ruger Mark III. Im on the final step and cant get the spring back in. Yes, Ive watched all the videos. Anyone around Boston that can help? Im willing to pay...

We can try FaceTime, to see if Im doing something wrong.

thanks everyone!
You can do it. Sit down in a quiet, well lit room and get comfortable. Be Zen.
It doesn't matter if this takes 5 minutes or 5 hours as long as it is correct and the pistol is undamaged.
Make sure there is absolutely no ammunition around during this procedure. It moves... [smile]
So, go very slow and watch your movements. When it's right, it will 'feel' right.

Now remove trigger mainspring assembly.
Look deeply into the area where it sits. See the small, usually black trigger strut? If you wiggle the pistol up and down you will see it bounce. Might even hear it.
Is it stuck under a frame pin? If it is, remove the bolt assy and toggle the hammer block until it pops out from behind the frame pin (sear spring stop).
Try toggling the hammer block while jiggling the pistol up and down, Not hard, not fast; like bouncing a baby,

Now, make sure the hammer block is set in its lowest position looking down through the bolt opening. you may need to insert an empty mag and/or pull the trigger in order to get it sitting at its (the hammer block's) lowest point, making sure the strut does not drop behind the frame pin (sear spring stop), by pointing the muzzle towards the ceiling. Insert the bolt assy gently making sure that there are no impediments. If there are, re-insert the empty mag and pull the trigger while gently riding the bolt to Full Close.

Now wiggle the pistol at a 45 degree upward angle and make sure the strut arm bounces. While the pistol is still at a 45 angle, insert the spring assy into the slot and pay attention that the strut engages the 'dugout' long dimple in the spring assy. You will most likely see very small scratches in the 'dugout' from being disassembled/reassembled before. Really close now...

As you slide the lock detent plunger (Thick, rounded-top pin that moves on the spring assy) into the hole, push up from the bottom of the spring assy while pushing up and then inwards. You know if you have the strut in the 'dugout' slot if the main-spring housing latch pulls inwards and sits flush after releasing it.

Now, try a test fire operation with an empty mag to verify correct reassembly.

These instructions were from memory because I don't know/want to face time, or whatever that's called.

Hope it helped.
~Enbloc

Found this schematic, it may help

1587586369888.png

Last edited:
I've taken mine apart several times and never really had a problem, but I do need to read the manual each time in order to put it back together. Fun guns, good luck with yours.

Thanks Everyone, Got’er done!! Hammer wasn’t fully forward, how to manipulate it.
Magazine disconnect can cause a lot of problems when assembling a Mark III as it causes the hammer block to not sit at its deepest...
Nice work!

The dreaded Mark hammer struct. It gets everyone but keep at it. Once you get the angle right it will fall into place, but it can be frustrating. My red dot is mounted over the mainspring so I learned how to take it apart and put it back together like that. Also I took my Mark III and make it into a Mark II by replacing the bushing and had to take it completely apart, sear etc. and got it back together. It took a while but it can be done.
here is the best place to learn Mark III Fieldstripping Procedures

Consider some upgrades to make your gun better and less frustrating: Ruger MKII/MKIII & 22/45 | Volquartsen Firearms
I love my Mark III. Never an issue with assembly. I made a bunch of mods to it though years ago so I don't have to pull the trigger, hold it upside down, close one eye and whatever else is required. If I recall correctly, there was a mag release safety on the thing that I removed. I think that was the key to making it go easy. I do not have the mag inserted in the gun when I reassemble mine. The other thing is that if you clean it often enough, the parts will go together easier.

Another thing I do when reassembling is prior to inserting the pin that holds the upper and lower together, I push the pin in from the top of the gun. It helps to line up the holes, making insertion from below and inside the grip much easier.

It is a great gun.

Back
Top Bottom