• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunsite AZ Experience/Lodging

I took the class three or four years ago and stayed in a Hotel in Prescott Valley, about a 40 minute drive from Gunsite. I think I stayed at the Hampton Inn, but I'm not positive anymore.

The class was amazing. It's mostly geared towards defensive/combat shooting, where rapid shots on target are valued more than pinpoint accuracy. It's pretty much all rapid drawing and shooting from a holster. On Wednesday night we came back after dinner for a night shoot, practicing shooting with flashlights in our off-hands. Also did some longer range (~50ish yards?) shooting both standing and laying on the ground. The best part for me (aka the part I had most fun with), was during the last two days we got to do a kill house to practice a home-invasion scenario, and walking through a draw. We ran each scenario twice, with the second day being scored and the kill house portion being recorded. It's more to entice you to come back for more advanced courses, but was eye opening in the way it makes you consider how to move through a house and quickly distinguish between shoot/no shoot targets.

The instructors we had were great, one being an retired narcotics/undercover cop. The 15 students were a varied bunch, with active/retired cops, military, new civilian shooters, one or two married couples, etc.
By the end we were all able to draw and put 2 head shots in 1.5 seconds at 5-10 yards.

As an aside, when I flew back into Logan, we were the last plane to land before the blizzard caused the closure of the runways. The P&B was cancelled for a few days and all the hotels were booked. But I'll be damned if I was sleeping in the airport, so I rented a one-way car to the Cape. Stupid VW Jetta FWD... I thought I was going to die that night driving home. After Plymouth, even the snow plows had disappeared. All I know is that if I had stopped for any reason, they would have found my frozen body in the rental car on the highway [smile].

Thanks so much for the info. I am really looking forward to this and I will look into Prescott for lodging. Did the ride each day really suck?

I didn't mind the ride. There wasn't any traffic, the roads were really good, and the landscape is beautiful. The Gunsite website has links to local lodging and they also offer RV or tent camping onsite if you wanted to go that route.

If you get the chance, the Grand Canyon is just over a two hour drive north, and there is an interesting Planes of Fame Museum on the drive up. I also really enjoyed the Titan Missile Museum, ~3 hours South in Green Valley.

Back
Top Bottom