• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GUNSHOP RANT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BONESTOCK

NES Member
OK here we go folks
I again played the part of the fool and trusted a gunshop to be fully informed and know the law inside and out.
I have been told and with a huge dose of attitude I might add by an individual who works at a shop that you are only able to do 4 FA10 personal transfers in a 12 month period and not a calender year.
This is B.S. as you can see on the web site from G.O.A.L. as well as the MA site. You are allowed 4 but it is per calender year.
I then was told that just because you have a gun transfered on an ffl to you does not mean that it is compliant and other FFL'S may not tranfer the same gun.
This is from the same shop that told me on several seperate ocassions that if you have an FFL transfer a gun to you then you are all set because it falls on them to know compliant or not.
That is all for now other than to mention that I feel better having put this out there.
Thanks

...what shop?

if a shop could be violating the law and potentially get someone in trouble we should know where it is.

1) you can only do 4 per CALENDAR YEAR.

2) thats true. I won't expound on this.

3) This is also true. If an FFL chooses to transfer a gun into this state that is legal in their eyes, then you are covered. |The onus is on the FFL.

why fight it , if they are willing to do a transfer on a particular firearm, then shut your mouth, it falls on them not you. & who cares MA gun laws are full of $** anyways. being MA COMPLIANT is such a joke in the first place & the FA-10 is an even bigger joke... they arent going to enforce anything unless you commit bloody murder with the thing. they will just continue to make more new illogical emotionally driven gun laws.

Last edited:
1) you can only do 4 per CALENDAR YEAR.

2) thats true. I won't expound on this.

Yup, they were wrong on 1 and right on 2.

lord1234 said:
3) This is also true. If an FFL chooses to transfer a gun into this state that is legal in their eyes, then you are covered. |The onus is on the FFL.

Probably... (Ok, where's Len to complain that I'm scaring the sheep [laugh])

I have been told and with a huge dose of attitude I might add by an individual who works at a shop that you are only able to do 4 FA10 personal transfers in a 12 month period and not a calender year.
This is B.S. as you can see on the web site from G.O.A.L. as well as the MA site. You are allowed 4 but it is per calender year.

it is 4 per calendar year, the person who told you it was per 12 month period was wrong

I then was told that just because you have a gun transfered on an ffl to you does not mean that it is compliant and other FFL'S may not tranfer the same gun.

It is up to the FFL to know what he or she can transfer. You can buy any gun you want that someone is willing to sell you in compliance with federal law, be it FTF or FFL. The only difference is the FFL is hamstrung by M.G.L., the private seller is not. Any legal problems, assuming you are properly licensed to have the gun, are on the shoulders of the FFL. FFL's are free to refuse any transfer transaction for any reason also.

This is from the same shop that told me on several seperate ocassions that if you have an FFL transfer a gun to you then you are all set because it falls on them to know compliant or not.

I'd agree with that, it is up to them to know what they can sell, again you can own any gun you have the LTC or FID to own. It is up to you to understand pre ban and post ban magazine laws though
That is all for now other than to mention that I feel better having put this out there.
Thanks

Last edited:
...what shop?

if a shop could be violating the law and potentially get someone in trouble we should know where it is.

DONT SAY WHICH SHOPS ON THIS PUBLIC FORUM!!!, come on guy you know better then that!! what are you getting brownie points from the MA AG or something?

Last edited:
Regarding a shop conducting a transfer, there are two seperate issues here:

1) A weapon may be legal to own but illegal to sell - Such as a "non-compliant" weapon that is illegal to sell because it violates the AG's "consumer protection guidelines" Then it's up to the shop to know what it can and can not sell. Once you own the weapon, it's ok to own but the shop may be in trouble for selling it to you.

2) A weapon may be illegal to own / posess - Such would be the case with a semi-automatic rifle with more than 2 "military-like" features which was built after the 1994 "Assault Weapons Ban" While there is a requirement for the shop not to sell this, it is also illegal to posess it, so the onous falls on both the customer and the shop.

is there a reason why you used the word "weapon" instead of "firearm"? "weapon" sounds to me like its already engaged in a part of a crime ,when this obviously isnt the case here. i would recommend calling it a firearm just like any other.

Last edited:
WoW !!

Thanks to all once again
I feel much better and I do respect all opinions given here, I just needed to let loose a bit.
I have to say I never thought this would even reach 2 pages.
I really did not give enough credit to the power of a good rant(LOL)[laugh]

FTF has to be done with someone in your state right? for instance, i couldnt by a handgun ftf from someone in NH and fill out an fa-10 and be legal? or could i...

If you get worked up about every gun shop person who doesn't understand the nuances of the law, then you're gonna get a heart attack pretty quickly.

I gave up a long time ago. [laugh]

-Mike

...what shop?

Let's not and say we did. [laugh]

To put things in perspective, if I "black crossed" every dealer that got some little nuance of MGL not precisely correct, I wouldn't have many dealers in MA to buy guns from. I've only run into a few that I've found to be 100% on the ball... and even then, not all their employees are on the ball.... and even then, some of these shops do things that are beyond what the law -really- requires, and that's almost as bad as being wrong in the other direction, IMHO.

Further, in this case, them blathering nonsense about FTFs will not put the customer in imminent legal danger, unless said customer will believe everything they hear verbatim.

What's that old Reagan quote? "Trust, but verify." Or something to that effect. Gun owners in MA, if they -really- want to protect themselves legally, should research the laws a little on their own, or if they don't feel like it, at least consult relatively trustworthy sources like GOAL or a competent MA firearms attorney.

It would be nice to expect every gun shop employee to know the law, or at least not say anything when they don't know.... but that's a similar expectation as getting a car salesman to stop pretending they are some kind of mechanic. [laugh]

-Mike

...what shop?

Do you have a "red phone" to the AG's office? [rolleyes] [sad]

There is NO NEED to know or tell.

Probably... (Ok, where's Len to complain that I'm scaring the sheep [laugh])

Sorry, connection problems or I would have jumped on you earlier! [rofl]

I am extremely knowledgeable of MGLs wrt gun ownership, BUT even I don't try to track what is on the EOPS List or what the AG has not objected to!

If I see something I like in a gun shop AND they will sell it to me, I'll buy it, period!

The AG will NOT tell anyone what is acceptable, so everyone guesses at that level. [Lots more info here on that topic for those that can't fall asleep.]

Even the EOPS List is ambiguous. Some guns are listed by color of plastic, others are listed generically. Some listed with -x numbers, some not, etc.

It's not my problem if the dealer sells me something he shouldn't have wrt the above issues. I'm not going to give myself a migraine trying to figure out the idiocies in the EOPS List or working a Ouija board for answers to "what meets the AG Regs".

YMMV (and that includes JD)! [wink]

why fight it , if they are willing to do a transfer on a particular firearm, then shut your mouth, it falls on them not you. & who cares MA gun laws are full of $** anyways. being MA COMPLIANT is such a joke in the first place & the FA-10 is an even bigger joke... they arent going to enforce anything unless you commit bloody murder with the thing. they will just continue to make more new illogical emotionally driven gun laws.

This! +1

is there a reason why you used the word "weapon" instead of "firearm"? "weapon" sounds to me like its already engaged in a part of a crime ,when this obviously isnt the case here. i would recommend calling it a firearm just like any other.

They are both, are they not? Why shy away from the word, weapon? I've never understood that. [thinking]

FTF has to be done with someone in your state right? for instance, i couldnt by a handgun ftf from someone in NH and fill out an fa-10 and be legal? or could i...
It's legal only if they are dead. Really. Inheritance is the only non-dealer way to do a legal transfer from an out of state owner without the use of an in state FFL or sovereign immunity.

last but not least

I see here that some folks got the wrong idea from my poorly done rant.
I agree that I would just clam up and take what they are willing to sell.
HOWEVER These people also gave me a direct suggestion that I could probably do a 5th FA10 and it wouldn't get caught. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!
WTF!!! I do not believe you should EVER EVER give anyone a suggestion to break the law especially if you are a supposed to be the Legit FFL and a profesional to boot. That is as stupid as a traffic cop telling you to speed cause he probably won't catch you. I am sure they don't care about my LTC as they offered this retarded suggestion.

Ok thats it have fun with this folks as for me I am done.
I never used to do any of this type of thing (rants and such) I am not very good at it so I think I will just give it up !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom