• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunshop clerk's gun kills customer

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
Clerk's firearm kills gun customer
Friday, November 04, 2005
CAROL ROBINSON
Birmingham News staff writer

A single mother of two was shot to death in an apparent accident at a Birmingham pawn shop while shopping for a gun.

Alethia Brewster, 24, had recently worried about her safety, and the safety of her 11-year-old daughter and 8-year-old son. Unsavory men, she told her friends, often gathered near her East Lake home, and some had even knocked on the door.

Brewster wanted to put her fears to rest. Instead, she died at the counter of JoJo's Gun & Pawn on Crestwood Boulevard on Wednesday when a store employee was showing her a weapon.

Authorities said Brewster asked to see the gun from an employee's holster. As the clerk handed it to her, the weapon fired. The bullet bore through Brewster's left hand, and then struck her in the chest.

"I'm very angry. Angry and sad," her tearful mother, Frances Brewster, said Thursday. "It wouldn't be possible for me to think something like this could happen."

The pawn shop, which has a marquee out front that advertises, "Guns: Cheaper than a tank of gas," was closed Thursday. A purple floral wreath with black ribbon hung on the front door, and a spray-painted poster in the window said business would resume today.
Police are investigating the shooting, but said it likely will be ruled accidental. Efforts to reach the store owners for comment were unsuccessful.

Brewster's parents sat side by side on the couch Thursday, trying to absorb the shock of her death. A steady stream of friends stopped by their Airport Hills home to console them. They signed a spiral notebook on the coffee table to later remind a numb Frances Brewster that they had been there.

"It shouldn't have never happened the way it did," she said. "I don't want nobody to go through what I am right now."

Family members said Brewster finished work at T-Mobile inside the Riverchase Galleria Wednesday afternoon and, on her way home to get her children, stopped by the pawn shop with a friend to look at a gun.

"Things were beginning to happen" around her home, said her father, William Mahan. "She wanted to get some protection and, with her children there, she didn't want to take a chance. She said she'd rather have a gun and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Her friends told Brewster's parents that she'd been considering the purchase for months. Frances Brewster said details were sketchy on the shooting, but said she was told it happened quickly. "The gun went off and when it did, she hit the floor."

She said paramedics rushed her daughter to the hospital, but said she was dead when she left the pawn shop.

Cross-X said:
Authorities said Brewster asked to see the gun from an employee's holster. As the clerk handed it to her, the weapon fired.

It just all by itself decided to go off??? BULLSHIT!!

SOMEONE had to have a finger on the trigger... and that clerk is at fault for not clearing it when he handed it to her.

Why did she want to see his gun, anyway? Was it for sale? Riiiight... The clerk in a pawn shop is going to hand over HIS gun to a customer. Yup. Sure. I believe it. Uh-huh.

Does anyone else think that this story stinks? Or is it just me?

Something definitely seems fishy here. How about this: The clerk was trying to impress her and was showing off his own gun, and he got a case of stupidity and while he was showing off tried to impress her...and BANG..accidental discharge.

I suppose that Sarah Brady is going to have fun with this one. Who knows, maybe EOPS will decide that carried loaded firearms by gun shop owners will be prohibited in the future.

That aside, pawnshops in the South are fun to visit under normal circumstances. Where I lived in Georgia, they in fact were the de facto gun shops.

Regards,

Mark

It will be interesting to see what the friend says - "stopped by the pawn shop with a friend" - Wonder what her story is?

One possible scenario is this. Clerk fishes gun out of holster. Clerk drops gun. Clerk tries to catch gun when it falls. He makes the catch, but, in his haste, grabs the trigger.

This negligent discharge didn't have to happen.

It is a profound shame for the victim's family, and a black eye for every gunny out there.

mark056 said:
That aside, pawnshops in the South are fun to visit under normal circumstances. Where I lived in Georgia, they in fact were the de facto gun shops.

And, they are chains in the South. I love them. My Uncle runs a small one in Knoxville. He always gets really cool guns from the shop. Being that he can get first choice when the loan runs out to buy it if he wants.

"Accident" = Negligence IMHO.

While we're sort of on the subject. Do pawn shops in MA sell guns? That is, are they legally allowed to?

Gary

Garys said:
"Accident" = Negligence IMHO.

While we're sort of on the subject. Do pawn shops in MA sell guns? That is, are they legally allowed to?

Gary

Gary,

MGLs make it a felony to loan money on guns! So no, pawn shops in MA don't sell guns.

There used to be many pawn shops on Mass Ave between MIT and Harvard back in the 1960s. Most are gone now. You don't see many pawn shops in MA, I assume the laws are very unfriendly to them. They probably can't charge interest rates anything like our cc companies get away with and thus can't make money here.

Garys said:

Gary

They used to. I bought a used but like-new 12 ga. Browning A5 from a pawn shop on Mass. Ave. in Central Sq. in 1965. It was a 21st birthday present from my Dad. $55! The pawn shop, the guns, and those prices are long gone. [cry]

SY,

Thanks for confirming that they did sell guns back in the 1960s. I worked at MIT/Instrumentation Labs (now Draper Labs) back in mid-late 1960s (Co-Op from NU) and used to wander in the pawn shops . . . I thought that I saw guns in them back then. Also a co-worker bought a long gun during lunch one day and walked back along Mass Ave (I think it must have been in two thin, long paper bags (1 over top, 1 over bottom) and handed it to the security guard to hold until after work. This was a DOD secure site . . . imagine doing that today? [roll]

Showing off a loaded weapon to a potential customer? Or trying to hand a loaded weapon to a buyer? That does not make any sense! That's just outrageously crazy! [evil]

I noticed the age also. However, it is irrelevant to her being shot by an incompetent clerk, except to the extent of the damages in the civil suit.

Jay G said:
Alethia Brewster, 24, had recently worried about her safety, and the safety of her 11-year-old daughter and 8-year-old son.

I hope that's a typo. I hope she didn't get pregnant at 12.

We had one of those when I was in Junior High School. She got pregnant with her High School Senior "boyfriend" (he was a football jock) and both dropped out of school when she was ~13 yo.

I also have a Cousin who did something similar (got pregnant at 13).

It's not as uncommon as we would hope! :(

"We had one of those when I was in Junior High School. She got pregnant with her High School Senior "boyfriend" (he was a football jock) and both dropped out of school when she was ~13 yo."

Further proof, as if it were needed, that any idiot can breed and most will. [roll]

Scrivener said:
"We had one of those when I was in Junior High School. She got pregnant with her High School Senior "boyfriend" (he was a football jock) and both dropped out of school when she was ~13 yo."

Further proof, as if it were needed, that any idiot can breed and most will. [roll]

Indeed! I recall someone telling me that she rapidly had 4 children, bada-bing, bada-boom! Don't know (or care) what happened to her.

My Cousin became one messed up person (it was in her genes . . . her Mother was a tramp who ran away and deserted her as a little girl, her Father is a "piece of work" and was incapable of even caring for himself, so he let his Mother raise her). I've only seen her once in the past 30 years.

LenS said:
Indeed! I recall someone telling me that she rapidly had 4 children, bada-bing, bada-boom! Don't know (or care) what happened to her.

Look at your paycheck this week. We are the people paying for her to sit at home smoke crack and eat BK all day. Meanwhile her kids are out making the same mistakes she did.

Back
Top Bottom