• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns you find cool just not at their price point

Some of the Krieghoffs and Kolars are astronomically priced. They have several that cost more than any of the cars in my household!

No lol thats just something you don't like.

If you were to say want an mp5 or one of its variants but didn't want to give up a testicle, night with your wife, and 1600 dollars. But you were okay with 800 for it.. that's the point of the exercise
So basically a skinflint thread? If you like something and you have the money, just buy it, because beating around the bush with cheaper alternatives is pointless and will cost you more in the long run. For instance, I bought a Barrett m107a1, truly an impulse buy, like $11,000.00, f***ing winced, maybe even choked a little, when I swiped my debit card, always wanted a .50bmg, wandered into my favorite shop one day and they had one in the display case...

I have not regretted it one bit, I could have bought an Armalite AR-50 because it was cheaper, then decided I didn't like it enough, sold it at a small loss, bought a Barrett bolt gun because it was better but still not super expensive, but I still would have wanted the m107, would have sold the bolt gun at another loss, plus probably lost money on various scopes and other peripherals, would have wasted literally thousands working up the balls to buy the rifle I actually wanted, but instead I bought once and slept outside in the dog kennel for only about a week instead of a week for each purchase of a gun I kind of wanted but isn't quite the one I really want, but maybe it will be close enough until I convince myself to spend another couple grand, etc. Now if you want something that's expensive but you can't afford it that's really a whole different subject, because if you could truly afford it, you wouldn't just think about it, you'd just buy it and move on,

So basically a skinflint thread? If you like something and you have the money, just buy it, because beating around the bush with cheaper alternatives is pointless and will cost you more in the long run. For instance, I bought a Barrett m107a1, truly an impulse buy, like $11,000.00, f***ing winced, maybe even choked a little, when I swiped my debit card, always wanted a .50bmg, wandered into my favorite shop one day and they had one in the display case...

I have not regretted it one bit, I could have bought an Armalite AR-50 because it was cheaper, then decided I didn't like it enough, sold it at a small loss, bought a Barrett bolt gun because it was better but still not super expensive, but I still would have wanted the m107, would have sold the bolt gun at another loss, plus probably lost money on various scopes and other peripherals, would have wasted literally thousands working up the balls to buy the rifle I actually wanted, but instead I bought once and slept outside in the dog kennel for only about a week instead of a week for each purchase of a gun I kind of wanted but isn't quite the one I really want, but maybe it will be close enough until I convince myself to spend another couple grand, etc. Now if you want something that's expensive but you can't afford it that's really a whole different subject, because if you could truly afford it, you wouldn't just think about it you'd just buy it and move on,

Not skin flint at all... I have a ton of functional shit that I paid exorbitantly for.

More along the lines of I want this and it seems cool but I'd be more in on it if cost x.

You bought a barret cool you wanted a 50 cal... would you have still bought it qt 15,000? 20,000? Everyone else seems to understand this thread

Not skin flint at all... I have a ton of functional shit that I paid exorbitantly for.

More along the lines of I want this and it seems cool but I'd be more in on it if cost x.

You bought a barret cool you wanted a 50 cal... would you have still bought it qt 15,000? 20,000? Everyone else seems to understand this thread
I would have bought it at 50,000 if that was the going rate because it was what I wanted and I could afford it. If I wanted a full auto mp5 and they cost 20k, than so be it, if I could afford it at the time I wanted it, but if I really had to "justify" the purchase based on functionality or any reason other than "want" then chances are I couldn't "really" afford it. Basically any gun beyond an affordable handgun is overpriced for what it is using the logic of this thread because 90% of us don't really need anything more than a simple handgun and maybe a cheap shotgun or rifle. You purchase something because of need or want, it you hold out on something that you have no real need for because it is "too expensive for what it is" it's just because you can't afford it, if you really had the disposable money for it you would have bought it already.

I would have bought it at 50,000 if that was the going rate because it was what I wanted and I could afford it. If I wanted a full auto mp5 and they cost 20k, than so be it, if I could afford it at the time I wanted it, but if I really had to "justify" the purchase based on functionality or any reason other than "want" then chances are I couldn't "really" afford it. Basically any gun beyond an affordable handgun is overpriced for what it is using the logic of this thread because 90% of us don't really need anything more than a simple handgun and maybe a cheap shotgun or rifle. You purchase something because of need or want, it you hold out on something that you have no real need for because it is "too expensive for what it is" it's just because you can't afford it, if you really had the disposable money for it you would have bought it already.
No I've wanted one for 10 or so months and in that time I've bought 4 ars 2 czs 3 glocks 50ish mags thousands of rounds of ammo level 3 and 4 plates and carriers about a month and a halfs worth of long term food. A keltec pmr and cmr and a 300 win mag

Its just to me 3- 400 bucks isn't worth the novelty of a single shot 22 just because it folds up in half.

A hundred dollars I'll buy it.

Not sure where your disconnect is on this

Any of the "boutique" 45ACP's. Nice....but you want how much !!!!
That's why I bought a Dan Wesson. I couldn't fathom the idea of dropping like 4k for a Nighthawk or Wilson so i stopped about halfway. $1800 is a lot easier to digest than 4 grand. Even then i still had to plan that one out....only was able to swing it after having good end of year numbers...

No I've wanted one for 10 or so months and in that time I've bought 4 ars 2 czs 3 glocks 50ish mags thousands of rounds of ammo level 3 and 4 plates and carriers about a month and a halfs worth of long term food. A keltec pmr and cmr and a 300 win mag

Its just to me 3- 400 bucks isn't worth the novelty of a single shot 22 just because it folds up in half.

Because it’s basically based on individual perceptions. I’m not a skinflint but there’s no way in hell I would give somebody even 50 bucks for one of those single shot life cards or any other derringer for that matter... Like let’s say I had Powerball money or some thing in storing the stuff wasn’t a big deal those are the types of guns that if I owned them they would pretty much just rot in my safe collecting dust. I’m not going to spend 50 bucks let alone 400. About as close as you could get me to that crap is to buy a Thompson Contender or something like that at least those things are kind of cool and I wouldn’t feel like I wasted the money.... And then though honestly I probably wouldn’t do it unless I was going to take up handgun hunting. The older I get the more the wheelhouse kind of gets defined and closed off. Even owning like three Glock 19‘s makes more sense to me than owning one of something that I will barely if ever use.

So the thousands on all that crap you'll probably never f***ing need makes sense but $300 on a little .22 that you think is neat is just too much of a novelty? [rofl][laugh2]

Because it’s basically based on individual perceptions. I’m not a skinflint but there’s no way in hell I would give somebody even 50 bucks for one of those single shot life cards or any other derringer for that matter... Like let’s say I had Powerball money or some thing in storing the stuff wasn’t a big deal those are the types of guns that if I owned them they would pretty much just rot in my safe collecting dust. I’m not going to spend 50 bucks let alone 400. About as close as you could get me to that crap is to buy a Thompson Contender or something like that at least those things are kind of cool and I wouldn’t feel like I wasted the money.... And then though honestly I probably wouldn’t do it unless I was going to take up handgun hunting. The older I get the more the wheelhouse kind of gets defined and closed off. Even owning like three Glock 19‘s makes more sense to me than owning one of something that I will barely if ever use.
I agree lol thats fine and whatever a novelty item here and there spices it up but I don't get his perspectives on the thread... like you want it buy it or your broke... its not making sense to me

So the thousands on all that crap you'll probably never f***ing need makes sense but $300 on a little .22 that you think is neat is just too much of a novelty? [rofl][laugh2]
I might never need it but I like the Rifles and if I do need it I'm going to be glad I bought it over a shitty little 22

I agree lol thats fine and whatever a novelty item here and there spices it up but I don't get his perspectives on the thread... like you want it buy it or your broke... its not making sense to me

Some people have to find out whether the juice is worth the squeeze. See the problem with your example is- If you decided that 400 was too much, t hen you really shouldn't be buying it to begin with at all, at $100 never mind $400.

Of course opinions vary and values vary, etc. Like for example if I was offered a luger for a cheap price I would buy it, but only if I was 100% certain that I could flip the f***ing thing and make profit off it, because I have no use for them whatsoever. Same thing with about 90% of other milsurps. I have a soft spot for K31s, Garands, Makarovs, and some other stuff like that, but most of the rest of it? Meh, no use at all.

The end distillation though is sometimes the process is not rational. [laugh]

surprised no one has mentioned a glock yet

i think glocks are super cool, just not at $499 MSRP

i much prefer them at $800-900 on the NES classifieds :D
Yeah, maybe in 2011. Service size glocks have had a MSRP of 599 or higher for quite a long time. MOS models have a MSRP north of $700. Yeah, I got your joke and appreciated it, but there are people who seem to not understand that new ones aren't nearly as cheap as they once were.

Some people have to find out whether the juice is worth the squeeze. See the problem with your example is- If you decided that 400 was too much, t hen you really shouldn't be buying it to begin with at all, at $100 never mind $400.

Of course opinions vary and values vary, etc. Like for example if I was offered a luger for a cheap price I would buy it, but only if I was 100% certain that I could flip the f***ing thing and make profit off it, because I have no use for them whatsoever. Same thing with about 90% of other milsurps. I have a soft spot for K31s, Garands, Makarovs, and some other stuff like that, but most of the rest of it? Meh, no use at all.

The end distillation though is sometimes the process is not rational. [laugh]
I have a fairly large military surplus collection and I am very picky about what I would consider acceptable for prices because yeah, you can pay market price for it, but you'll end up sitting on the damn thing if you ever wanted to resell it and recoup. Especially in areas like ours where nobody seems to move on them.

Yeah, maybe in 2011. Service size glocks have had a MSRP of 599 or higher for quite a long time. MOS models have a MSRP north of $700. Yeah, I got your joke and appreciated it, but there are people who seem to not understand that new ones aren't nearly as cheap as they once were.

I have a fairly large military surplus collection and I am very picky about what I would consider acceptable for prices because yeah, you can pay market price for it, but you'll end up sitting on the damn thing if you ever wanted to resell it and recoup. Especially in areas like ours where nobody seems to move on them.
Yeah got burned once on a 1913 never again

That's why I bought a Dan Wesson. I couldn't fathom the idea of dropping like 4k for a Nighthawk or Wilson so i stopped about halfway. $1800 is a lot easier to digest than 4 grand. Even then i still had to plan that one out....only was able to swing it after having good end of year numbers..
I was going to post the link to the "available guns" page on sviguns.com but the four 38super or 9mm wide body compensated handguns w/Sig Romeo scopes priced at a bit over $9800 each had already sold.

Back
Top Bottom