guns that make guns shops nervous?

So, I'm looking for a nice cheap rifle to shoot at the range, nothing fancy or to much money, because i wont be able to make it out to the rifle range all to often because of the distance. So my friend suggest picking up an SKS off of gun broker. I find a couple I like, and I head down to my local gun shop. I go in and start asking questions about this and that, and the guy behind the counter is helpful. I tell him that I'm thinking about picking up an SKS rifle for the purposes above and his attitude totally changes. He says he'll have nothing to do with those, they're a "saturday night special" type gun. I was a little confused since I wasn't asking to purchase one from him, just to be my FFL from gun broker. I went over what I was thinking, and he said again he'll have nothing to do with it. I asked him if he could suggest another semi auto rifle that was in a lower price range, and he said he doesn't deal in cheap. Don't quite know what to make of this. Are SKS rifles really horrible things?

I think it's time to find another shop.

If I had a shopkeeper pull that crap with me I'd never go back, simple as that.

I personally don't own an SKS, but I will soon enugh. And I've heard pleanty of VERY good about them.

I'm sure one of out MANY MANY SKS shooters is posting RIGHT NOW!

Better luck to you, but I wouldn't deal with that joker again.

-Weer'd Beard

I do not own an SKS but have shot many of them. I dont see why this dealer has such a problem with them. If someone gave me that sort of answer i would find a new dealer.

Richie

ok, so I'm not crazy. Thanks for the input.

As far as which shop it is, I'd rather not say since I'll have to go there again since they're the only pistol range near by (a mile or so from my house).

I'm going to go check out another gun shop in a bit thats not to far away and see what they have to say.

One of the repeated themes on firearms forums is the "snob gun shop owner", the guy (or gal sometimes) who is absolutely against one kind/brand of firearm or another. Many times it centers around military-style firearms or foreign makes. Often they will tell you that they are crap but are unable to intelligently articulate why.

Now my FFL has a definite preference for both Sigs and Glocks. However he will not blindly dismiss other firearms. He will talk knowledgeably about the pros and cons of various brands or specific firearms but if that is what you want and he can get it, he will.

I hate alleged "gun owners" like that. It's even worse if the person is an FFL (they should know better). I hear The Kittery Trading Post has an "Evil Black Rifle" phobia (must be true since I probably have more EBR's than they do. [smile]

Does the dealer even sell 7.62x39 ammo?

I don't know why the SKS is looked down on as a "Ghetto Gun" (just because it's inexpensive?). I have a Yugo that cleaned up real nice and is a fun, inexpensive gun to shoot.

Personaly, I wouldn't conduct anymore buisness with the asshat, but that's me.

Check the FFL dealers on the Guns America for someone else who will handle the transfer.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/transfer.cgi

Last edited:
The SKS is a great piece of military history and some are incredible shooters. Not to mention they're so cheap you can pick up two, sporterize one, and keep the other original. Everything from drill and tap scope mounts, trigger jobs, and stocks can help squeeze out accuracy from an SKS and make them even more fun to shoot.

Heres a shot of one of mine (on the bottom) with a Choate stock. Its a cheapie sniper rifle project in progress but shoots even better with the new stock and some trigger work. Doesn't look Saturday night special to me at all.

f6af2d01.jpg

ok, just got back from the other gun shop. They had a lot more in stock, I got to try out the pistols some of you guy suggested ( I decided to get the M&P for the win) and they had some SKS's there, and the clerk had a lot to say about them. He said he was going to get in some yugo's next week, and I can pick one up then. What a differance in shops, its crazy.

LoginName said:
Personaly, I wouldn't conduct anymore buisness with the asshat, but that's me.

I concur! RebelGT since you won’t let us know, I’ll just swear off all of them. I gave up going to most gun stores years ago. Thank God for catalogs the internet and mail order. I go when I must. There are some good ones out there but a lot suck.

When I lived in Mass I did shop at Four Seasons and they were great people. I can’t speak highly enough of them. It was a first class operation.

Brian

.The SKS got a bad reputation with some back in the early 90's when some of them were available WITHOUT matching serial numbers. Those particular SKS's were nothing more than ones put together with spare parts. Some of them would empty the mag with one pull of the trigger. I bought my Norinco before the AWB went into effect. I've yet to clean the cosmoline off it. I've GOT to find some bulk ammo for it so I can give it to my wife. She NEEDS it you know.[wink]

ArmedMainer said:
.The SKS got a bad reputation with some back in the early 90's when some of them were available WITHOUT matching serial numbers. Those particular SKS's were nothing more than ones put together with spare parts. Some of them would empty the mag with one pull of the trigger. [wink]

Geee, I'd really like to find one of those old defective ones...[smile]

LoginName said:
I hate alleged "gun owners" like that. It's even worse if the person is an FFL (they should know better). I hear The Kittery Trading Post has an "Evil Black Rifle" phobia (must be true since I probably have more EBR's than they do. [smile] ...snip...

Which EBR do you mean? I always thought the "black rifle" was the M16/AR15. If so, KTP is currently listing 9 variants. If you mean SKS or AKs, they've had dozens of Yugos, Russian-made, and a few Chinese guns go through in the last year, though it looks like the Russian SKS just sold.

No, I don't work for them; they're just on my way home from work. So I check their used-gun listings each day at lunch.[grin]

JUst to clairify Kittery trading post has Plenty of semi auto rifles in the EBR persuasion. as they are more expensive they are behind the counter. They currenty have several AR15's listed, along with FAL's and other fun stuff.
sometimes you can get a good deal but other times they are on the high side.
I got a nice preban AR180 there a few years back. (decent price too.)
Nothing like carring it around the store as we finished shopping. Got some nice looks...

Wildweasel said:
JUst to clairify Kittery trading post has Plenty of semi auto rifles in the EBR persuasion. as they are more expensive they are behind the counter. They currenty have several AR15's listed, along with FAL's and other fun stuff.
sometimes you can get a good deal but other times they are on the high side.
I got a nice preban AR180 there a few years back. (decent price too.)
Nothing like carring it around the store as we finished shopping. Got some nice looks...

I only go up there once a year with the GF... she drops me off at the Trading Post, hit's a few of the outlet stores then comes pick me up about 2 hours later (and I'm still looking at stuff [smile] ).

Seems like the times I've been there they've had a few AR's, an FAL or two and I think the occasional G3. I really wasn't that impressed with their selections.

If they have 20/30 round mags I've never seen them; except for one time when the AWB was in effect and they had some really horrible looking AR-15/M-16 mags in the display case. They wanted something like $25.00-$30.00 apiece for them. AWB or not, I wouldn't have bought them if they were $5.00 each.

Given the size of the place, their EBR selection could be much better... the place definitely caters more to hunters.

OTOH, if I ever hit the lottery, I could drop $50,000 there on handguns alone. [smile]

LoginName said:
OTOH, if I ever hit the lottery, I could drop $50,000 there on handguns alone. [smile]

Assuming that you live in Maine (or New Hampshire, assuming that KTP still has their NH connection).

Ken

KMaurer said:
Assuming that you live in Maine (or New Hampshire, assuming that KTP still has their NH connection).

Ken

If I ever hit the lottery dropping $50,000 on handguns would be the second thing I'd do... moving North out of MA would be the 1st thing.

As an added bonus, it would give me a little bit of satisfaction knowing that I'd be taking my winnings away from MA and spending it in a state that had more respect for my rights.

I do the same thing with my Wife. She dropps me off a the Trading post while she looks at all sorts of horribles things (China, Sham Pillows, Dust Ruffles....you know the ilk) while I drool over thier copious selection of desert eagles and shed a tear for living in Mass...[crying] [crying] [crying]

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Back
Top Bottom