Guns on Vacation ? (advice)

PaulR

NES Member
Preface: Yes I'm too lazy to search...but also looking for advice.

Hypothetically of course: If I were to go on vacation in my home state of MA. Vacation house, lots of kids, lots(and lots) of booze, wet bathing suits, no locked safe storage in the house. The only locked storage I would have would be in locked container wired/locked under the car seat. Car parked in house driveway most of the time. #1 is this ok? #2 - obviously one in a million chance I'd need it, advice needed, would you even bother taking a gun on vacay, or just leave it at home? I'd be nice to have but I'm considering going on vacation unarmed.....of course...last year I came home with a gun I bought from the local place but not sure that counts lol.

TIA
P

Guns need vacations too. [smile]

On a more serious note, no one has EVER been a crime victim on vacation, the bad guys respect that you are away from home, probably carrying a lot of cash, and are not paying attention to your surroundings and so they leave you alone.

What could go wrong?

Of course, the logistics of having a firearm on vacation can be....challenging.

Guns need vacations too. [smile]

On a more serious note, no one has EVER been a crime victim on vacation, the bad guys respect that you are away from home, probably carrying a lot of cash, and are not paying attention to your surroundings and so they leave you alone.

What could go wrong?

Of course, the logistics of having a firearm on vacation can be....challenging.

Agree with pretty much all of this.

Cardinal rule of carrying a firearm for protection is if you are going to carry, always carry.

I have not found it challenging to take my firearm with me. I bring a small safe with me to meet the law requirements
"if needed"
I read this site for some of my info and I read laws regarding to my destination. To try and answer the can I carry here questions.
My family's safety is paramount to me I have chosen to carry to give me a chance/leg up if the need Arises. So to me it's not a hassle it is just something I HAVE to do.

So let me get this straight, you want to bring a gun on vacation, but not carry it? Then just leave it at home. It'll be easier that way.

-Mike

If its legal, I would definitely carry my gun. I do when I go up to NH, even if its just hanging around the cabin. But I go to the fair every year and snowmobiling. Same with camping. I've never been on a trip to a luxury resort or tropical destination so not sure what I would do there, maybe buy a gun from the local cartel, they do rentals, right? [wink]

Sounds like a great chance to practice different carry methods (except during the drinking part)! If you do something wrong and expose your firearm, nobody is going to complain! Do it up.

Personally I wouldn't leave it in the car, won't do you and good there. Take the safe you have out of the car and hook it up to something solid inside the house. This is what I did last week while I was on vacation.

That's why I carry my fag bag .No matter where your going, or what your wearing you can have your gun with you.

Somebody had a thread about that a few months ago. There were a fair number of people who claimed to carry in their swim trunks.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-Carry-in-a-Bathing-Suit?highlight=carry+swim

It's always a good time when the funniest quote from an entire thread is actually in the OP...

My thinking isn't so much for mugging or confrontation, but 'ISIS hits water park' type of thing...

[laugh]

Anyhow, to this OP, I would suggest taking your carry gun with you and locking it up when you deem necessary. You know, you could always refrain from partaking in the adult beverages, and therefore keep the piece on you at all times. To each their own. Liquor and lead certainly don't mix, as the saying goes. But then I'm of the mindset that having one beer doesn't negate your right to protect yourself and your family. Do what you are comfortable with, and have fun on vacation dammit!!

I always carry on vacation and if it is a State I can't legally carry in I don't go there. However, consider carrying a handgun that is appropriate for your activities. Maybe that M&P9C isn't your best choice maybe bring the J frame revolver or the micro semi auto of your choice.

It also depends on where your going if I am going to go in the city I always carry my S&W 6946 Compact with 13 rounds pre-ban and 15 round extra magazine. If I am hiking or going to be doing alot of walking and driving and out in the country I carry my ruger LCR with a speed strip. Also don't forget a good name brand pepper spray (OC) I always carry that. Also you could put the pepper spray in the cooler at the beach so it doesn't get too hot in the car and explode in the car. Pepper Spray probably would solve most beach issues with other people. Of course if you go to certain inner-city beaches your results may vary.

Back
Top Bottom